Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How far will UC make it in the NCAA Tournament?
Lose in the 1st round 7 12.07%
2nd round 11 18.97%
Sweet 16 20 34.48%
Elite 8 18 31.03%
Final 4 1 1.72%
National Championship Game 0 0%
National Champions 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #21
IABearcat

IABearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
We just need to take this one game at a time. I know it's fun to start talking about second round matchups, but I have been hearing some great things about UNCW, Mid Tenn. St and others that can be possible first round matchups. I have all the confidence in the world we can win a game like that just saying anything can happen. Baylor didn't think they would be losing to Yale last year. I know we all know this but just wanted to reiterate that.

Also a 4 or 5 seed allows for a possible second round match against a Cinderella team. How sweet would that be! Give us some Xavier luck!

I have also heard people saying 3-6 seed range is basically the same. I think 3 is a big difference. It allows you to stay away from the 1, but the 6 seed could get upsetted by a 11 seed. Obviously the better seed you are the less likely for an upset, but I have a feeling a 3 seed getting upset to a 14 seed is a huge drop off from a 4/13 or 5/12. Does anyone know?

Regardless, I think we are all on the same page no matter what we are going to be a 4 or a 5. Unless upsetted on Friday.
I am with you there, I think I'd prefer and underachieving P5 team at an 11 seed vs a Cinderella midmajor team as a 12.

But I think the 3 seeds this year are cut above the 4 seeds.
IABearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #22
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IABearcat View Post
Ok maybe I went a little far, but basically its gonna be a 50/50 shot in the Round of 32 to get to the Sweet 16.
I don't think you know what "realistic" means lol. I'd agree that, assuming we're getting a 4 or 5, it's around a 50/50 shot at reaching the Sweet Sixteen. No doubt about that. You initially made it sound asinine that anyone would think we could make the Sweet Sixteen, which is pretty comical.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #23
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Given how poorly this team has been playing on the road, I would be surprised if we make it past the first or second round. They have the talent to be an elite 8 team, but they just can't shoot and have a severe lack energy on the road.
The UConn game was a big difference in energy level. Even though the shooting still stunk, you can see how good this team is just by playing hard. If we keep playing with that energy on road through the AAC tourney, I think sweet 16 is a fair expectation.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #24
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Given how poorly this team has been playing on the road, I would be surprised if we make it past the first or second round. They have the talent to be an elite 8 team, but they just can't shoot and have a severe lack energy on the road.
The UConn game was a big difference in energy level. Even though the shooting still stunk, you can see how good this team is just by playing hard. If we keep playing with that energy on road through the AAC tourney, I think sweet 16 is a fair expectation.
It's really not fair for you to criticize them for how they performed on the road for these tournament games. The games will be on a neutral site. That is a huge difference. Look what we have done in our two neutral games this year and even our neutral games last year. Huge difference than on the road games.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #25
Alum2013
Elite Member

Quote:
It's really not fair for you to criticize them for how they performed on the road for these tournament games. The games will be on a neutral site. That is a huge difference. Look what we have done in our two neutral games this year and even our neutral games last year. Huge difference than on the road games.
What? Both of them are not home games correct? The majority of our games away from home have produced underwhelming performances where we play with far less energy then when at home. Obviously pretty much all teams play worse when not at home, but I'm pretty sure other people have posted stats showing we play way worse then average when not at home.
If we play like we did against UCONN from here on out (which we only have the AAC tourney to judge), I think we can do some damage. If the UConn game was an aberration, then I think we're in trouble for the tournament.

Last edited by Alum2013; 03-07-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #26
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Realistically, no one knows. Who knows what we will be or who we would play in the second round.
ok gotcha.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #27
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What? Both of them are not home games correct? The majority of our games away from home have produced underwhelming performances where we play with far less energy then when at home. Obviously pretty much all teams play worse when not at home, but I'm pretty sure other people have posted stats showing we play way worse then average when not at home.
If we play like we did against UCONN from here on out (which we only have the AAC tourney to judge), I think we can do some damage. If the UConn game was an aberration, then I think we're in trouble for the tournament.
Using the UConn game as a barometer doesn't make sense. They are trash and undermanned. UC shot 30% and beat them by 20 and had 44 rebounds to their 47 points.

If UConn wins and UC plays them Friday then, it is a (pseudo) road game due to playing in their gym.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #28
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It doesn't matter..Anyone can tell you that plays basketball, going into someones home gym to play them is a lot different than playing a team on a neutral site. Of course nothing compares to being in your home gym, but you can't look at away games either.

So with that said we have had 2 neutral games. Scored 71 in each game and looked pretty good. Gotta play defense. We score 76- or so last year in the tournament. That's better to look at then comparing us going into opponents gyms.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #29
Alum2013
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Using the UConn game as a barometer doesn't make sense. They are trash and undermanned. UC shot 30% and beat them by 20 and had 44 rebounds to their 47 points.

If UConn wins and UC plays them Friday then, it is a (pseudo) road game due to playing in their gym.
If you read my previous post I said that our shooting still sucked. What I'm talking about is the energy the team played with compared to other games that weren't at home. You don't get 44 rebounds by accident. The team was playing harder against UCONN than probably almost any other nonhome game this year.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #30
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

UConn would be the semis on Saturday.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote