Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
bearcat18
Elite Member

bearcat18 is on a distinguished road
'11 JC F God’s Gift Achiuwa

Found this on zagsblog this morning. We are recruiting him along with OSU, St. Johns, NC State, Marquette, Hawaii, and Niagara.

And yes, that is his name.

His name is God’s Gift and according to his coach, he might just be that for some college program.

God’s Gift Achiuwa is a 6-foot-8 power forward originally from Nigeria who competes at Erie Community College in Buffalo, N.Y. His father is a minister in his home country and gave him the unusual name.

He is being recruited by Ohio State, Cincinnati, St. John’s, N.C. State, Marquette, Hawaii and Niagara, according to Erie coach Alex Nwora.

“He’s not going to take any visits until afer Christmas,” Nwora said Wednesday by phone. “After Christmas, we’re going to cut down and narrow down to three or four schools he’s going to visit and then we’re going to make a decision and sign in April.”
Nwora said Achiuwa could make a verbal commitment before April, of course.

“After he takes his visits, if he sees a a school he likes he might give a verbal commitment so they won’t keep recruiting that position,” he said.

St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin, who still has eight scholarships to give and embarks Thursday on a weeklong recruiting adventure, visited Achiuwa last week.

“Yes, he came down last week and had a very good visit with him,” he said. “Tony Chiles came out first and Steve came down and he had a good talk with them.

“That’s one of the schools that’s on his radar.”

Nwora, a fellow Nigerian, founded Global Sports Advantage six years ago and now operates various camps in Africa aimed at helping the top players come to the U.S.

Achiuwa has only been here a year but averaged 13.1 points, 13.5 rebounds and two blocks per game as a freshman. He earned third-team all-American honors and helped lead Erie to a 27-2 record.

“I think he’s one of the best power forwards in the country right now,” Nwora said. “I’ve been in junior college for 12 years. This is my 22nd year in the U.S. Out of all the kids I’ve come across, he’s the one that has a very good chance of getting drafted.

“If he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s got a good chance of getting looked at by a scout.”

Nwora didn’t rule out that the possibility that Achiuwa could go pro after this year instead of attending college.

“He’s that good,” he said. “The kid doesn’t stop working. Somebody could come after him to get into the draft.”

As for his unusual name, Nwora said Achiuwa’s Erie teammates don’t give him a hard time.

“He’s one of those kids, he’s serious about the game,” he said. “He’s serious about his life. He’s very religious so most of hist teammates respect him and treat him seriously.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/10/06/g...sign-in-april/
bearcat18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Red_N_Black_Attack

Red_N_Black_Attack is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a great kid who can really bring scoring and hard work ethic. I see only positives and wish him well in the recruiting process. If he sees himself as a good fit for UC; I can only hope that we offer!
Red_N_Black_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
cincinnati insanity

cincinnati insanity is on a distinguished road
With all the fire power we are bringing in this is the exact type of player that we need to fill our vacancy for our big men help. He pretty much has the same stats as Toyloy did and you cant get enough big men who have motors, so if we can get on this kid definately get on him. We need to make him a high priority and forget about Nemanja. If we were UK then i would say get Nemanja but since he will never be eligible at UC because he ate a bologna sandwich for free then this is who i think we must consider a very high priority. Give me this kid or Karron Johnson and our class is one of the best UC has had in a while.
cincinnati insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
God's Gift Achiuwa
Class: Freshman
Hometown: Nigeria
Highschool: Sure Foundation
Height: 6'9
Position: forward

I had pm'd some of you with news that we were in on another foreign big, but was unable to get the name out. I think this kid could be a good fit for our future needs. I also like signing 1 juco big if 2 are indeed signed.

BTW, I really appreciate BC18, and others, who help keep us current with recruiting news. I travel a lot with my job and am not always able to do the research and make the contacts I would like to make over the past 3 months. Thanks to you all!!

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 10-06-2010 at 02:23 PM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnati insanity View Post
With all the fire power we are bringing in this is the exact type of player that we need to fill our vacancy for our big men help. He pretty much has the same stats as Toyloy did and you cant get enough big men who have motors, so if we can get on this kid definately get on him. We need to make him a high priority and forget about Nemanja. If we were UK then i would say get Nemanja but since he will never be eligible at UC because he ate a bologna sandwich for free then this is who i think we must consider a very high priority. Give me this kid or Karron Johnson and our class is one of the best UC has had in a while.
I don't think UC is recruiting Karron Johnson. At least I hope they aren't recruiting him.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
ucdave

ucdave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We need to make him a high priority and forget about Nemanja. If we were UK then i would say get Nemanja but since he will never be eligible at UC because he ate a bologna sandwich for free then this is who i think we must consider a very high priority.
What a bizarre statement.
ucdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Marquette and St. John's are recruiting him very hard. The kid is an excellent student as well.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 11-01-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Marquette and St. John's are recruiting him very hard. The kid is an excellent student as well.
what about us?
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/01/20/s...and-gods-gift/
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #10
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Thanks DP. I needed some good news.