Cougars by 1-4 points 0 0%
Cougars by 5+ points 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #161
Uclawrugby

Uclawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Get over your obsession with Logan Johnson and bashing of Justin Jenifer. Jenifer plays well in Cronins system and when its Logans turn I think we all assume he will too. As it stands now Logan is an athletic spark to the defense and nothing else. He gets completely lost in our system on defense leaving his man (aka open shots), makes lazy, telegraphed passes and cant shoot. Playing against directional schools in November would not have changed this. Jenifer isnt an all-American and he had a bad day today but he plays hard and shoots well and doesnt turn the ball over. In two years as a starter he led the team to a 56-10 record. Also if Logan Johnson chooses to transfer like you naively keep saying then I say good riddance because he isn't the type of player we need or want on this team if he were to do that. Truth is there is no merit to your statements. Johnson was interviewed recently and it was pretty clear he was happy here and understood his role and how he had to wait and learn to play.

This board over the years has lost plenty of good, rational posters over this boards obsession from time to time to Mick bash and player bash. Whereas a fan board should be open to all opinions and honest critiques of players and coaches, there also is a lost notion that fans of a team dont want to come onto a safe space to discuss a team they love and have to read negative after negative reviews of the team they love so dear. Put me squarely in that circle. I love this team and have been on this board since its inception in 2010. But I dont come here to listen to people bash players and the coach and that is why so many people leave the site year after year. I understand being frustrated at losing. We got embarrassed on our own floor today. We probably wont make it out of the first weekend of the tourney yet again. There is a clear hole in this team that wont be corrected in the next two weeks, it just wont. Do we need to constantly harp on the negative or can we appreciate what is going right? Rant over
That was a big rant over a fairly innocuous comment. I have been on this board since Mick was first hired and followed all the permutations. I own the fact that I was probably one of the most disgruntled Hugggins fans at the beginning of his tenure. Frankly I think I have modulated my tone fairly well. We shall see what see as time rolls on. I have been a fan since Gail Catlett and am put off by your condescension.
Uclawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:15 AM   #162
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uclawrugby View Post
That was a big rant over a fairly innocuous comment. I have been on this board since Mick was first hired and followed all the permutations. I own the fact that I was probably one of the most disgruntled Hugggins fans at the beginning of his tenure. Frankly I think I have modulated my tone fairly well. We shall see what see as time rolls on. I have been a fan since Gail Catlett and am put off by your condescension.
Again, my rant wasnt over your comment. It was a two fold comment. My rant was over the constant negativity of this board. Tbh, I dont care how long you've been a fan or anybody just as nobody cares how long I've been a fan. We're all fans and we come on this board to talk about our favorite team. We go out in the real world and hear our team being bashed, we come here to get away from that. So when we come here and have to read about our team being bashed then what's the point? That was the point of my rant. You can dislike my condescension all you want, I'm tired of every single thing you say talking about how Logan Johnson should be playing over Justin Jenifer and Mick Cronin is an idiot for not seeing it. You are 100 percent completely wrong about it. Now most of the time I let this stuff slide and dont comment or just disappear for a few days or whatever if the board gets so bad. But sometimes this shit really rubs me the wrong way and I comment. Your opinion of Logan/Jenifer/Mick does that, so I've called you out numerous times for your comments on it as have others. Last year the whole year we had to listen to the entire board bitch and moan about Cane not starting over Jenifer. It gets old. But its whatever. If this board wants to let you constantly post how you predict Logan Johnson will transfer because of the incompetency of Mick (who has a top 5 winning percentage in the past 5 years) then they can choose to entertain your thoughts. Me I'm going to call you out on it.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:22 AM   #163
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
I look back to my hot takes after OSU...and if you'd have said UC would be 25-6 with a shot at a co-title, I would have doubled down on that.

Look, we lost to an overall better team. We had a shot at least. We didn't play well (thats what ate at me), but 25-6 is nothing to scoff at. Houston played really well and we bit. We let them pull us away from our game. It's not like we couldn't play with them and beat them. One team has to dictate, unfortunately it wasn't us.

Season isn't over and there are some chances at more wins and who knows. Maybe an AAC championship. We don't know how the NCAA tourney will play out.

We all figured this would be an up/down year. Its been more up than down. We have exceeded my expectations so far.

All of these guys (Brooks/Scott/Williams) will be back after having been through the grind as contributors. JC will work on his game and fine tune it based off of what he has seen these last couple weeks.

I fully expect to be tough as nails next season...but this one isn't over yet.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:25 AM   #164
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Surprised nobody has mentioned Mick gave up on the game with 5:17 left and only down 11.

Can't believe a coach would ever do that, especially with the conference title on the line and on sr day. Then he basically admitted he did it in the postgame and nobody has any issue with that?

That sure as hell isn't the attitude we want coming from our coach and program.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #165
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned Mick gave up on the game with 5:17 left and only down 11.

Can't believe a coach would ever do that, especially with the conference title on the line and on sr day. Then he basically admitted he did it in the postgame and nobody has any issue with that?

Yeah I mentioned it. Took my 11 year old to the game. She saw Cumberland on the bench with lots of time left and said to me “Why isn’t Cumberland playing, did Mick give up”.... we yes, yes he did.

Tough position for a coach though. The rest comment he mentioned after the game is just crap. But protecting from injury, that makes some sense. Still hard to watch the team and coach give up.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:05 AM   #166
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
I look back to my hot takes after OSU...and if you'd have said UC would be 25-6 with a shot at a co-title, I would have doubled down on that.

Look, we lost to an overall better team. We had a shot at least. We didn't play well (thats what ate at me), but 25-6 is nothing to scoff at. Houston played really well and we bit. We let them pull us away from our game. It's not like we couldn't play with them and beat them. One team has to dictate, unfortunately it wasn't us.

Season isn't over and there are some chances at more wins and who knows. Maybe an AAC championship. We don't know how the NCAA tourney will play out.

We all figured this would be an up/down year. Its been more up than down. We have exceeded my expectations so far.

All of these guys (Brooks/Scott/Williams) will be back after having been through the grind as contributors. JC will work on his game and fine tune it based off of what he has seen these last couple weeks.

I fully expect to be tough as nails next season...but this one isn't over yet.
This season ended up being a terrific surprise. The team hit a nice stride in the middle of the season. I think it showed our lack of talent compared to other top teams and lack of offensive options later in the season as they got a lot better and our team stayed about the same or regressed a bit.

That said it was a great year (regular season). Make the conference tourney final and it will be a successful conference tourney. Win 1 game in the NCAA and it will be a good tournament.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #167
Cartel

Cartel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
This season ended up being a terrific surprise. The team hit a nice stride in the middle of the season. I think it showed our lack of talent compared to other top teams and lack of offensive options later in the season as they got a lot better and our team stayed about the same or regressed a bit.

That said it was a great year (regular season). Make the conference tourney final and it will be a successful conference tourney. Win 1 game in the NCAA and it will be a good tournament.
100% agree. Lot of doom and gloom on the board. We were supposed to be down this year and finished 25-6. Looking at what should be coming back next year, I believe that we will be a much better team and in the mix for AAC title in a league that is looking like a top 5 league. If you believe part of what has hampered recruiting is the quality of the league (I believe this), we should also see an improvement in that area as well. I like the direction we are heading...
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #168
Cpaw

Cpaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

I don't believe Mick gave up, I think Cumberland did and that is why he got yanked. He was not playing D or hustling at this point, and I think it was time for Mick to set him straight and get him in line prior to this grind to come. I was happy that he did this, you have to keep the tone set for your team and even if your best player falls out of line, you have to reprimand.

Cpaw

Fortune Favors the Bold
Cpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #169
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
It was a long day for all of us, obviously no one is happy about the loss, but the sun rose this morning and the season is not over. I will not argue about Mick's march record because that speaks for itself. But if you honestly believe that Cincinnati can do so much better than Mick Cronin you are extremely ignorant. There aren't any coaches exactly lining up for this job. Everyone needs to pull there head out of the Huggins era ( which was filled with school sanctions and multiple let downs in march) because we are never going back to that. Essentially Mick is being penalized because he got this team to overachieve when everyone thought they would suck when they lost Gary and Jacob. But when we started to overachieve a lot of people irrationally adjusted their expectations. This team could very easily have 10 losses. Some of you need to be realistic about Cincinnati Basketball.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #170
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
It was a long day for all of us, obviously no one is happy about the loss, but the sun rose this morning and the season is not over. I will not argue about Mick's march record because that speaks for itself. But if you honestly believe that Cincinnati can do so much better than Mick Cronin you are extremely ignorant. There aren't any coaches exactly lining up for this job. Everyone needs to pull there head out of the Huggins era ( which was filled with school sanctions and multiple let downs in march) because we are never going back to that. Essentially Mick is being penalized because he got this team to overachieve when everyone thought they would suck when they lost Gary and Jacob. But when we started to overachieve a lot of people irrationally adjusted their expectations. This team could very easily have 10 losses. Some of you need to be realistic about Cincinnati Basketball.

Front half of the schedule ended up being much easier than first anticipated. A lot of the teams were train wrecks when we played them. The last 17 games were right about where most of us thought we'd be. Offense was 72 in AdjO defense was 32 in AdjD. We couldn't shoot at all. We were 42 on Barttorvik the last 17 games of the year, right around where many thought we'd be (tournament bubble team).

I'd say the first 2 months surprised us and then reality came a knockin. Thank heavens we won so many close games or we might be on the outside looking in for a tournament spot.

Does anybody remember when we scrimmaged Notre Dame before the season started and a comment from their paper was something like "we know who cincinnati is, they'll be the same in november that they are in march." Couldn't help but think about it as it pegged us perfectly.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote