Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #1201
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFreaselefteye View Post
BOYS- We have smoke. Cumberland just deleted the picture off Instagram of him thanking Bearcat Nation. It may mean nothing, but this is good news. Please cite KennyFreaseLeftEye when the news breaks. You heard it here first. Cumby is coming home.
No worse nickname then Cumby
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #1202
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
BOYS- We have smoke. Cumberland just deleted the picture off Instagram of him thanking Bearcat Nation. It may mean nothing, but this is good news. Please cite KennyFreaseLeftEye when the news breaks. You heard it here first. Cumby is coming home.
Technically we heard it first from CorryvilleCarl a week or two ago. You need to up your game.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #1203
UCats329

UCats329 is on a distinguished road
This is why you shouldn't use the word "Cumby" as a nickname:

https://i.imgur.com/NcQn4yQ.png

Last edited by UCats329; 05-23-2019 at 02:25 PM.
UCats329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #1204
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Classic moniker
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #1205
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
No worse nickname then Cumby
Something we can finally agree on. I for one feel like it should be a bannable offense.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:03 AM   #1206
A_O

A_O is on a distinguished road
Cumberland already has two great nicknames as it is: Freighttrain and teddygraham.

TeddyGraham cracks me up. If you don't remember it's what Kyle Washington called him because Kyle said he looked like one.... Completely ridiculous.
A_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #1207
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
SMU won the league in 16/17 with a 6-man rotation that was pretty short in height. They went something like 6'6, 6'3, 6'5, 6'5, 6'7, 6'8.

We could possibly duplicate that with a line-up of Jaevin, Jarron, Keith, Moore/Prince, and Diarra/Scott.
Really struggling to find the style and identity Brannen will eventually settle in to use. It sounds like he would prefer the 4 out 1 in style. But I was hoping for more of a style that included 5 guys who can shoot rather than having a traditional 5. Maybe it's just that 2019 is going to be hard for him to recruit for that. I kind of like the idea of positionless basketball as it relates to the perimeter guys.

But we are seeing offers to guys like Vogt and Kalkbrenner and a PG in Saunders who is 6'0" and not a great shooter. Those are not positionless players. I just don't see the SMU type of plan developing here so far. I am not sure how I feel about the short PG who can't shoot or the tall lanky plodding 5 who can't shoot. We have watched guys like Evans and Cumberland take over mid to late clock scenarios as defacto PG. So maybe we don't need the traditional PG unless it's just for back up ball handling reasons, pushing pace, or if we can't get the ball over half court.

I do like guys like Davenport, Scrubb, T Williams, Madsen, Iorio, Bolton, Todd etc. I know we are not pursuing some of them anymore but just showing the type of player I would like to see. We do need a rim protector and I know finding the ultra athlete who can drain the 3 is going to be a tough get. So I think we can get by with 1 player at the 5 who is more traditional but I am not sure I want to see a traditional PG in addition to that...unless they can shoot the rock.

I want 4 guys who can handle the rock and shoot on the perimeter. Combo guards and forwards. That is what I thought we were getting with Brannen. Perhaps we have to wait until 2020 to see that style of recruiting develop.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #1208
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
4 guys who can run jump dribble shoot... Arent lining up to come.

Great coaches can adjust their style to the talent they have... I think Mick truly struggled with this..

I think guys like cane and troy caupain could have thrived in a system that was adjusted to their strengths
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #1209
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I am also not sure about this Charles Coleman guy. Yes he seems to be able to knock down a 3 (don't know his %) but he looks incredibly awkward and doesn't seem to possess much skill outside of being tall. Maybe I am missing something but Kalkbrenner and Vogt and Sorolla seem to be more coordinated in the paint...even if they aren't 3 pt shooters. The Coleman videos do not impress me much...although his high major interest tells a different story.

I would love to get the Loveday kid. That would be a perfect fit! I know that will also be very difficult. He has a nice stroke and he's what 6'10" or 6'11"? He moves very well and seems very coordinated.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #1210
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
4 guys who can run jump dribble shoot... Arent lining up to come.

Great coaches can adjust their style to the talent they have... I think Mick truly struggled with this..

I think guys like cane and troy caupain could have thrived in a system that was adjusted to their strengths
I am not so much concerned about the running and jumping part as I am with the dribbling and shooting part. I was led to believe Brannen would prefer the basketball skills a little bit more than the athleticism. I am okay with that.

I understand it would be hard to get multiple players who have both BB skills and athleticism. Every coach is looking for those players. IN the early years Mick tended to focus on the athlete. But guys like SK and Cumberland turned out very well for him. Not superior athletes...but superior BB players.