Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #1661
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I get what you are saying but Brannen chose the words "If I had to draw a player for the system...it would be Keith". You can read into that any way you want I guess but we all know CJB values shooters on the perimeter. So I would take it as Keith's body type and athleticism. If Keith could shoot I think Brannen would have chosen different words because he is otherwise a pretty complete package.

Keith probably fits the defensive end as well with the long arms, quickness and instinct to get steals in the press.

As a 4 Hardnett doesn't have an inside game and he can't shoot. He can score in transition but that is a small part of the game. I don't know how he rates out on D...but that is another big part of the equation. My guess is Keith is well ahead on both offense and D.
Waterhead, brother hardnett wasn't playing the 4. He plays like the 6'8 guards. He not about get in post and bang for 25min game. Outside of dunking im taking hardnett fast paced skills over Williams over 3-4yrs
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #1662
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
But we can't play an entire game with 2 bigs. With only 3 of them, they are going to have to rest at some point (and that's not mentioning foul trouble).

Teams like Ohio State (Kaleb Wesson who is 6'9 270) and Memphis - could use a lineup with 3 players who are 6'8"+, could cause us major problems. Especially as Diarra/Sorolla need to improve significantly from last year to be able to provide quality minutes.

I think we are in good shape to win at least 25 and possibly 30 games. But I have to see us play before I'm convinced our lack of big men isn't going to be a major weakness.
Cumberland or moore go have to bang in post. We shouldn't need 20 a game from jarron so maybe he can up his ast and reb numbers since he won't have spend so much time with ball on offense
Old 06-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #1663
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Cumberland or moore go have to bang in post. We shouldn't need 20 a game from jarron so maybe he can up his ast and reb numbers since he won't have spend so much time with ball on offense
I think UC will be a better rebounding team in this system overall. Playing more TRUE man defense will lead to more rebounds, thus taking the focus off what we don't have, "Bigs".

We have to be honest, I could not see Brooks averaging double figures if he was still here, and he was not a reliable shot maker in the post. He showed flashes, but after 5 years flashes wont cut it. Of course he'd average 40 a game against "Crayon State" lol. None of you would ever dump it in to Brooks for the final shot to win the game or get fouled. Plus 6'7 Big Man from Ohio St gave him the business. He was 6'11 right?

Brannen is creating much needed driving lanes, thus the need for ball handlers and shot makers and creators. I can see Diarra, Scott, Scrolla, and Prince scoring off drive and dish opportunities. Driving and dishing had been outlawed at UC for a while now.

We don't need any players experimenting with posting up at this point, just bogs down the offense. If we had a Gary C. type i think it would be a different story.

Only time will tell, and I am excited.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #1664
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Waterhead, brother hardnett wasn't playing the 4. He plays like the 6'8 guards. He not about get in post and bang for 25min game. Outside of dunking im taking hardnett fast paced skills over Williams over 3-4yrs
I don't think his game suits a 4 either (which I think is unfortunate for him). But so far he has been ranked very low in recruiting with only UC as a major offer. Has been red shirted by one coach. Has probably been sat down for "the talk" about playing time with a 2nd coach. And now you are telling me that these guys have it all wrong and he is the missing link?

Beyond that I haven't heard one peep from anyone who has any inside info on practices since he has been here that he either A...is going to be something special. Or B that he is most improved. Or C...that he has been outplaying the guys he needs to beat out on the roster.

What I have heard is that he is still behind and needs more development and that his shot is not good.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #1665
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
I think UC will be a better rebounding team in this system overall. Playing more TRUE man defense will lead to more rebounds, thus taking the focus off what we don't have, "Bigs".
one of the flaws of cronins defense. we were a below average defensive rebounding team.

brannen has already said multiple times defensive rebounding is very important.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #1666
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
But we can't play an entire game with 2 bigs. With only 3 of them, they are going to have to rest at some point (and that's not mentioning foul trouble).

Teams like Ohio State (Kaleb Wesson who is 6'9 270) and Memphis - could use a lineup with 3 players who are 6'8"+, could cause us major problems. Especially as Diarra/Sorolla need to improve significantly from last year to be able to provide quality minutes.

I think we are in good shape to win at least 25 and possibly 30 games. But I have to see us play before I'm convinced our lack of big men isn't going to be a major weakness.
It could be a minor weakness but not major. And it could also be that Hardnett wouldn't help us any more than Gillam or Cumberland on an opposing big.

I don't think it's going to be a lack of bigs that kills us. It could be quality though.

But once you get down to the 4th option at big it's all spot minutes anyway. Most games you don't even need it. So you just have to figure out a plan to get by during those small spurts. Play some small ball. Hell...I am hoping we do a lot of that anyway...could be an advantage.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #1667
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I don't think his game suits a 4 either (which I think is unfortunate for him). But so far he has been ranked very low in recruiting with only UC as a major offer. Has been red shirted by one coach. Has probably been sat down for "the talk" about playing time with a 2nd coach. And now you are telling me that these guys have it all wrong and he is the missing link?

Beyond that I haven't heard one peep from anyone who has any inside info on practices since he has been here that he either A...is going to be something special. Or B that he is most improved. Or C...that he has been outplaying the guys he needs to beat out on the roster.

What I have heard is that he is still behind and needs more development and that his shot is not good.
Im taking him over prince, who is nothing more than a 5 in this system
Old 06-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #1668
waterhead
Senior Moderator

In regards to Laquill. It sounds like he is getting interest in some places where Brannen has ties. Suggesting Brannen is potentially making some calls on Q's behalf. The University granted (or will) the waiver so he doesn't have to sit a year.

It sounds like this was done with at least some mutual agreement/respect and perhaps a promise that CJB would do everything he could. Who knows. I guess what I am saying is I doubt if there are going to be major hard feelings about this from Q's end. It's possible Q could even end up respecting how everything was handled.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #1669
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Well who knows...it could be reasonable that Q is better than Prince in the end. But I don't think Gillam at 6'5" is a 5 in any system! He's going to either need to develop a shot outside or he's going to have to be very crafty in the paint as a small 4.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #1670
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dude where do you come up with your stuff? You pull so much stuff out of your ass it's insane. There's never been anything said or posted anywhere indicating Hardnett has looked better than Prince. Literally everything has said the exact opposite. How is a 6'5 or 6-6 dude "nothing more than a 5"?

Last edited by Alum2013; 06-19-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote