Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #1691
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Chad will be on Mo Eggers show talking all things UC today, I am sure he will shed some more light on the whole Laquill situation. I would imagine it will be a mix of football and basketball because football has been getting some 2020 commits, but for now all any of us can do is speculate. Mo also said there is some big bearcat news coming Friday, now this could be football? could be basketball? could be Zach Harvey? Maybe they wanted to give respect to Laquill and not do it right after he announced he was leaving. Who the hell knows.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #1692
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
Does anyone have any real knowledge of where Toyambi is in his development? He could be such an important piece to this team, but I don't have any kind of handle on what his skill set is, how much he has worked on his game during his redshirt year. Can he be a 10-15 minute kind of player? More? Less?
Not insider info here but this is what I can gather so far.

Prince is a hard worker so I would expect he is doing his part to better himself. If you look at his work with REhfeldt you can see some of that. Rumors are he has been impressive so far in his time here (relative to expectations).

I would think the two areas of need for him are ball handling and shooting. His videos don't show any outside shots but rumors are he has a decent stroke and is better than expected there. His ball skills seem okay for one or two dribbles and then a move to the bucket but he's not a shot creator.

Has a very quick first hop and can dunk from a standing position on two feet. Shows some blocking potential but not a rim protector. He has pretty good body control and knows how to position himself to score in the paint although against smaller players than he will face in D1. He has the size and strength to be physical inside on both ends. He can finish inside with either hand. He will probably be really good on the break on both sides for dunks and come from behind blocks.

He's smart as hell finishing with 4.0 even after taking a double course load his final year in HS. I am guessing he can pick up any system pretty quick. So he is smart with a good work ethic and has a D1 ready body. I would guess he can defend at least 3 positions.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #1693
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Videos on internet winning state in one of best basketball regions in world. Kid can play ball just too little right now. We haven't had guy with his size or skills in decade or more.
Perry Hall is in division 4A. Im not so sure his division is as talented as your making it out to be.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #1694
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He has no ball skills or cant shoot. He's been compared to hicks or maxiell, in this system they would've played the 5. I doubt coach will ever want two guys on court that needs be in paint.
? where do you come up with this stuff? He has ball skills and he can shoot. Prince isnt a 5 in any system. Hes a power forward
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #1695
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Does anyone have any real knowledge of where Toyambi is in his development? He could be such an important piece to this team, but I don't have any kind of handle on what his skill set is, how much he has worked on his game during his redshirt year. Can he be a 10-15 minute kind of player? More? Less?
Prince and Hardnett were big question marks coming in to the season. No one seems to know what they are. Not much film on either. From what I have read and listened to, it seems that prince is further along than Hardnett and is progressing into a good player. From the few videos there are, he does seem to have some skills. Reminds me of the guy from Nevada. Caroline I think. Undersized 4 with skills. But who knows.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 06-20-2019 at 09:37 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #1696
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't know how much he has improved during his RS year. I'd say his mold is similar to (though of course nowhere near the same level) Draymond Green. Based on highlight videos he looks like a long, but undersized PF who can run the floor and (hopefully) defend any position.

His handle looks shakey - but he can take it up the court on the fast break or to the basket if he's unguarded - and he doesn't really seem to be a shooter. Good passer and good ability to finish around the rim.

I know he worked on his shot a lot during the RS year and hopefully his handle has improved as well. From highlight videos he looks like a guy with tons of potential, but needs development.

Best case is his handle and shot have improved and he's solid on the defensive end. Gives us 10-15 high-energy minutes, a few points and rebounds and maybe a block or two, while playing solid D and not being a liability on O.

Worst case is he can't finish well vs the bigger size and hasn't figured out how play D at this level. Comes in, commits a few fouls and is a liability on the offensive end. Even in that case, given our lack of size he will probably average 5-10 minutes at least.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #1697
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Videos on internet winning state in one of best basketball regions in world. Kid can play ball just too little right now. We haven't had guy with his size or skills in decade or more.
This dude played 4a HS ball, rode the pine with Melo AAU and was a ZERO star recruit. I'm not saying he couldn't become a good ball player but he was and still is a project player.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #1698
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I’ll give you, the kid might be decent, but a poor man demarr Johnson is dumb. Unless it’s really poor. Demarr was a top 10 pick as a freshman. Hardnett might have a career like tre Scott. Slow down a bit.
You say Tre Scott. I see poor man demarr Johnson. Demarr wanted nothing to do with the paint. In 2-3yrs if hardnett could've given us Johnson production as a freshman I'll take it. Demarr wanted to play like tmac or kobe, hardnett has that type mindset also.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #1699
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
This dude played 4a HS ball, rode the pine with Melo AAU and was a ZERO star recruit. I'm not saying he couldn't become a good ball player but he was and still is a project player.
Rode the pine and still got scholarship at best college! Nobody saying he isn't project now, in 3-4yrs i see a stud. I would've pushed moore out
Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #1700
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
? where do you come up with this stuff? He has ball skills and he can shoot. Prince isnt a 5 in any system. Hes a power forward
i can see him adding a shot in couple yrs but as of right now he's small ball 5.