Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #1711
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Chad was on Mo Eggers show a few weeks ago and talked about how Prince will likely be a contributor this year. He stated Hardnett still wasn't ready, not to expect much, and was unlikely to get much playing time this year.

I heard from some guy TheRealMick that Hardnett was going to be our MVP this year and Prince is a bum so I really don't know what to believe!
Don't put words in my mouth. I stated over 4yr period that hardnett is going be our biggest lost this year. I also stand firm believing after 4yrs in this system hardnett would've had better career than Prince. I seen this move before your savior chad when I said no mention of moore improving wasn't good and that next year he should have that player-coach talk. Chad also said we was done with roster movement this year. Wanna call me out call out news you paid for. Everything I'm saying just my 2cent opinions
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #1712
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
Why does Jarron play PG? Maybe in Cronin's offense, I just don't think we will see as much ball domination from Jarron this year. Think about it, if Jarron had good enough handles would he have returned to UC? He'd be in the draft tonight.

We've watched Jarron for 3 years use bulldozing as Option 1 to drive versus slick dribbling to get an easier shot. I bet 50% of Jarron's fouls were offensive fouls in his career at UC.

If Brannen is about spacing and taking the first available good shot, Jarron will not be the point guard.

Just an honest opinion
This would be my line up

Mcneal
Jaevin
Williams
Cumberland
Scott

Or

Cumberland
Jaevin
Williams
Scott
Diarra
Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #1713
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Don't put words in my mouth. I stated over 4yr period that hardnett is going be our biggest lost this year. I also stand firm believing after 4yrs in this system hardnett would've had better career than Prince. I seen this move before your savior chad when I said no mention of moore improving wasn't good and that next year he should have that player-coach talk. Chad also said we was done with roster movement this year. Wanna call me out call out news you paid for. Everything I'm saying just my 2cent opinions
Brannen may have thought that LaQuill is not a match for his system and that he could find a replacement that can not only contribute sooner but would be better suited for his schemes. LaQuill was recruited by the previous coach who promised playing time to those who were system guys and played hard. Brannen is not like that and will over recruit guys that dont perform, so would be injustice to keep him around for 4 more years, let him transfer somewhere he doesnt have to sit out and get a fresh start.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #1714
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
A starting position is for Williams to lose at this point. Of course I don't know, but I would suspect Keith was told this was his team, with all the Pre departures and departures. I think some are giving the other Cumberland a little too much credit because he can shoot. He has yet to face AAC Defense which over the years have adjusted to be on the same level as UC, that will make a difference. IJS
The 5 spot will and should be by committee.
I think you have to start Keith too as long as it's not at the expense of Jaevin.

I don't think this system can handle 4 shooters on the floor at 30% or under with no bigs that can score in the paint...LOL!

I think you almost have to have Scott, Williams, and both Cumberlands out there. Then it's just up to next best between Diara and McNeal and I think Brannen may want the guard out there...who knows
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #1715
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But you're basing your opinions on nothing and discount what people who have actually seen the kids play. Also the radio is free...
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #1716
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Brannen may have thought that LaQuill is not a match for his system and that he could find a replacement that can not only contribute sooner but would be better suited for his schemes. LaQuill was recruited by the previous coach who promised playing time to those who were system guys and played hard. Brannen is not like that and will over recruit guys that dont perform, so would be injustice to keep him around for 4 more years, let him transfer somewhere he doesnt have to sit out and get a fresh start.
It may be a while before we can tell what Brannen wants for his system. Cronin's main three were strength, length and athleticism, though he deviated now and then.

Brannen seems to prefer speed and quickness so far. I know some will say shot-making, but a good number of recruits Brannen has brought in aren't shooters (Sorolla, Vogt, McNeal, Saunders).

Based on the rumors, there are quality programs looking at Hardnett. But he may just have not fit the new system. Hardnett was the ideal long and athletic player for Cronin, but he may not have the speed and quickness Brannen seems to prize.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #1717
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think you have to start Keith too as long as it's not at the expense of Jaevin.

I don't think this system can handle 4 shooters on the floor at 30% or under with no bigs that can score in the paint...LOL!

I think you almost have to have Scott, Williams, and both Cumberlands out there. Then it's just up to next best between Diara and McNeal and I think Brannen may want the guard out there...who knows
Yeah, especially with the extended three point line. I imagine the game plan for opposing defenses will be make someone other than the Cumberlands beat you.

None of our other players are proven high-percentage three point shooters. And we don't have big men who can score in the paint. Williams and Scott seem the most likely to step up, but if I'm the opposing team I'm going to make them prove they can score.

McNeal, Diarra and Sorolla are all guys I play off of unless they start to hit shots. Put two of them on the court together and that leaves only three guys that the D really needs to focus on guarding in the half court.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #1718
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
But you're basing your opinions on nothing and discount what people who have actually seen the kids play. Also the radio is free...
I'll give you that if you give me that I called a player being forced out
Old 06-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #1719
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'll give you that if you give me that I called a player being forced out
I don't know if he was forced out or simply told he wouldn't be getting playing time this year and decided to leave. Personally, I don't have a problem with a guy being "forced out".

I was a collegiate athlete and would have had no problem with someone who wasn't contributing losing their scholarship for a guy who was. College sports is about trying to be the best, not hand holding. Both athletes and coaches understand that.

Last edited by Alum2013; 06-20-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #1720
TheRealMick
Elite Member

Quote:
I don't know if he was forced out of simply told he wouldn't be getting playing time this year and decided to leave. Personally, I don't have a problem with a guy being "forced out".

I was a collegiate athlete and would have had no problem with someone who wasn't contributing losing their scholarship for a guy who was. College sports is about trying to be the best, not hand holding. Both athletes and coaches understand that.
Agree 100% with this