Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Conference Realignment

As we all know, conference realignment appears to be dead for the next several years unless the Big 12 decides they need a conference championship game. I am sure Ono, Bohn, and the rest of the university are still doing what they can, but things look grim right now.

I think it's time to think outside the box. The idea I am going to suggest might require swallowing some pride, but if we don't do something now, the Nippert expansion could be for naught if the P5 breaks away from the NCAA completely.

The main point I am going to make is that I think we should be open to taking less money than existing members in order to get into a P5 conference. The P5 conferences are paying their schools over $20 million per year in TV money. I can't seem to find the exact numbers for the AAC, but it's only a couple million, correct? So even if we agreed to take 10 million for the first 5 years of membership in the ACC or Big 12, that's still a huge improvement.

The Big 12 might especially find this attractive. Let's say Cincinnati and either UConn or UCF pitches a package deal to join and allow them to have a conference championship game. The agreement could be, we join the conference, but we do not cut into the $26.2 million that the current members share. Instead, we agree to split the extra revenue generated by the championship game (likely comparable to the AAC's entire TV revenue) and still come out ahead. This could be for a set period of time, which could be an arbitrary number like 5 years, or could be directly tied to when the next TV contract is negotiated.

Time is running out. Right now, we are getting by on buyout cash from the Big East split. After that well dries, where does the money come from? When the SHTF between the P5 and the NCAA, we are either in or out. Our future can be that of Louisville and Pittsburgh, or it can be that of Toledo and Akron.

Thoughts?
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
As we all know, conference realignment appears to be dead for the next several years unless the Big 12 decides they need a conference championship game. I am sure Ono, Bohn, and the rest of the university are still doing what they can, but things look grim right now.

I think it's time to think outside the box. The idea I am going to suggest might require swallowing some pride, but if we don't do something now, the Nippert expansion could be for naught if the P5 breaks away from the NCAA completely.

The main point I am going to make is that I think we should be open to taking less money than existing members in order to get into a P5 conference. The P5 conferences are paying their schools over $20 million per year in TV money. I can't seem to find the exact numbers for the AAC, but it's only a couple million, correct? So even if we agreed to take 10 million for the first 5 years of membership in the ACC or Big 12, that's still a huge improvement.

The Big 12 might especially find this attractive. Let's say Cincinnati and either UConn or UCF pitches a package deal to join and allow them to have a conference championship game. The agreement could be, we join the conference, but we do not cut into the $26.2 million that the current members share. Instead, we agree to split the extra revenue generated by the championship game (likely comparable to the AAC's entire TV revenue) and still come out ahead. This could be for a set period of time, which could be an arbitrary number like 5 years, or could be directly tied to when the next TV contract is negotiated.

Time is running out. Right now, we are getting by on buyout cash from the Big East split. After that well dries, where does the money come from? When the SHTF between the P5 and the NCAA, we are either in or out. Our future can be that of Louisville and Pittsburgh, or it can be that of Toledo and Akron.

Thoughts?
It's not a bad idea but I think it is too soon to pull that trigger. The Big 12 will need to see what happens with the playoff before they make a decision. That will probably take a few years. The NCAA and Power 5 aren't going to split right now and not for the next 5 years or more anyway. Too much money tied up in contracts right now IMO. I think UC should have this as a back up plan. For now, keep putting a good product on the football field and basketball court, keep improving facilities and it will take care of itself.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
It's not a bad idea but I think it is too soon to pull that trigger. The Big 12 will need to see what happens with the playoff before they make a decision. That will probably take a few years. The NCAA and Power 5 aren't going to split right now and not for the next 5 years or more anyway. Too much money tied up in contracts right now IMO. I think UC should have this as a back up plan. For now, keep putting a good product on the football field and basketball court, keep improving facilities and it will take care of itself.
I definitely see your point, but not being proactive is part of the reason both the school and the conference are on the outside looking in right now. The old Big East had chances to bring in some good programs before it got picked apart, but they were reactive instead of proactive and lost their seat at the table.

I think we should try to fight our way into a P5 conference by all means possible and as soon as possible. I'll take the risk of losing out on some money for a few years over the risk of being left in the cold and being completely irrelevant as a football program.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I definitely see your point, but not being proactive is part of the reason both the school and the conference are on the outside looking in right now. The old Big East had chances to bring in some good programs before it got picked apart, but they were reactive instead of proactive and lost their seat at the table.

I think we should try to fight our way into a P5 conference by all means possible and as soon as possible. I'll take the risk of losing out on some money for a few years over the risk of being left in the cold and being completely irrelevant as a football program.
Check out the article I just posted ( I put it in a new forum cuz hadn't seen yours yet) but it just shows everything we have to offer. It's a great read
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

We don't completely disagree but I do think it would be foolish to think UC isn't being proactive. The Big East as a conference was not but that is not UC's fault. I think they were absolutely trying to get in a power 5 the last time around. It didn't work out. Renovating Nippert is proof they are being proactive. I just don't think you want to leave money on the table unless you have to. Right now, UC has the luxury to wait and see how this unfolds. Doesn't mean they will always be in that position.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
LaxCat31

LaxCat31 is on a distinguished road
http://www.bcsnn.com/aac/777-big-12-...-bearcats.html

Not sure if this is verified at all, or if its just some random guy running a website and spewing info. But I would love it if this ended up happening!

Think what you will and don't shoot the messenger, I just found the article and thought I'd share.
LaxCat31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxCat31 View Post

Not sure if this is verified at all, or if its just some random guy running a website and spewing info. But I would love it if this ended up happening!

Think what you will and don't shoot the messenger, I just found the article and thought I'd share.
My dad said the radio stations in Kansas City have been talking about it all week. Hopefully it happens. It seems like it makes sense for everyone involved.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxCat31 View Post

Simply a random guy running a website and spewing info....
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
You have 4 playoff spots for 5 power conferences. 4 of the power 5 have a conference championship and the Big 12 is at a huge competitive disadvantage without one. Should Baylor and TCU both be left out today I think there's almost certainly going to be some Big 12 members advocating hard for expansion.

For the Big 12 to remain relevant and not be looked at like the Big East was in the BCS Era they're going to need to go to 12 at some point. I know they have a GOR but that could fall apart very quickly if the member schools argue that the conference affiliation is putting them at a competitive disadvantage.

Should be interesting to see what happens from here, if anything. The problem with this post is I'm using rational thought and we all know that conference expansion has nothing to do with rational thought.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
You have 4 playoff spots for 5 power conferences. 4 of the power 5 have a conference championship and the Big 12 is at a huge competitive disadvantage without one. Should Baylor and TCU both be left out today I think there's almost certainly going to be some Big 12 members advocating hard for expansion.

For the Big 12 to remain relevant and not be looked at like the Big East was in the BCS Era they're going to need to go to 12 at some point. I know they have a GOR but that could fall apart very quickly if the member schools argue that the conference affiliation is putting them at a competitive disadvantage.

Should be interesting to see what happens from here, if anything. The problem with this post is I'm using rational thought and we all know that conference expansion has nothing to do with rational thought.
hahahaha isn't that the truth!! One thing is for sure, the Big 12 will be missing out on a ton of money...and we all know, cash rules everything. Lets get this expansion moving
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote