Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2011 Recruiting Profiles

Old 06-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #31
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Recruited as a safety, Nick Temple of Warren Central (Indianapolis, Ind.) has chosen Cincinnati for the Class of 2011.

Rated as a three-star prospect by ESPNU, the 5-foot-10, 190-pound Temple was also offered by Colorado, Iowa, Iowa State, Louisville, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Ball State, Toledo and Western Kentucky.

"When the Bearcats offered me, I said, 'I have to go see this place,'" Temple told ESPN affiliate Web site BearCatLair.com. "When I saw it, I fell in love with it. When I took my mother down, she loved it, but I had a lot more thinking to do. I was thinking about committing, and I did it today."

Temple registered 135 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, one interception and three pass breakups last season.

The Bearcats have three pledges.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recru...choolId%3d2132
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #32
Racinejake

Racinejake will become famous soon enough
Really good article from Rivals on Temple and his recruitment of other linebackers (Poole and Daniels) to UC and where they stand right now:

Warren Central linebacker Nick Temple finds himself in an odd place lately.

After verbally committing June 9th to the Cincinnati Bearcats, ecstatically it must be added, Temple began recruiting for the University of Cincinnati. His enthusiasm for the program is infectious and sure to carry added weight since Temple shares many life experiences with other recruits.

Temple talking to Antonio Poole online
He has done the junior days, the combines, and the unofficial recruiting visits. Temple understands where their thoughts are right now, as the offered players bounce their thoughts around the idea of committing.

It is a heavy burden on many recruits, one they initially embrace but ultimately become bogged down with. As August nears, the urgency to verbally commit before the season grows. Many of the available players made the assertion months back that they would decide prior to their high school season in hopes of devoting all of their energies towards the team concept.

As their self-proclaimed month of decision nears, the stress of making a life choice mounts.

Direct Impact

The two players Temple plans to convince to come to UC are Steven Daniels and Antonio Poole.

The day Temple verbally committed he immediately told BearcatReport that his two UC targets were Daniels and Poole.

"Those are the linebackers we are waiting for," said Temple at the time.

Poole has been extremely forthcoming about his college plans from day one. Alabama is his dream school. Cincinnati, Purdue, and Kentucky are his three favorites. Only Cincinnati and Purdue have ever hosted the three-star linebacker. For a player as coveted as Poole, he has maintained a relatively low profile, traveling rarely.

"Antonio, I think he likes it," said Temple of UC. "I think he really likes it. He is from Cincinnati. The same with Steven."

Very few players have spent more time on UC's campus than Poole's cousin Daniels. He is one of the few players UC has been targeting for years. His first visit to the UC campus since Head Coach Butch Jones took over went swimmingly.

"I would give it a 9," said Daniels at the time.

Temple has become fond of Daniels, calling him "real funny." He has been talking on facebook with him quite a lot, occasionally discussing recruiting.

For Daniels, Boston College has always had a certain allure, mainly because his friend and former teammate Luke Kuechly chose that path for himself. For obvious reasons Kuechly raves about Boston College.

Any football player would report positively about their freshman year if they accumulated 158 tackles, started every game, and earned SI.com Second Team All-American Honors. Kuechly registered the most tackles per game (12.15) of any NCAA football player in the seven year history of the statistic.

For Daniels, who lived vicariously through his friend last fall, Kuechly's initial success at B.C. carries great weight. Incidentally, the Golden Eagles have also offered and hosted St. Xavier's linebacker Sean Duggan, whom UC has offered.

Still on the chase

Temple's status as a recruit changed dramatically when he selected Cincinnati, forcing most colleges to move on to other targets. Most.

"Iowa State is still trying to," said Temple. "North Carolina, they talk to me a lot too."

While Temple recruits Poole and Daniels to the University of Cincinnati, UNC is trying to pry him away. North Carolina's coaching staff has had success with Temple's high school this recruiting cycle, as they lured Kiaro Holts to the Tarheel State.

"They want me and Kiaro to come down there real bad," said Temple. "When Kiaro visited I went down there with him."

Though the persistent recruitment beyond the date of Temple's verbal can be a little unsettling for UC fans, Temple squashed all fears with one unequivocal statement.

"I committed to Cincinnati," said Temple. "They can try, but I really don't change my decisions."

Temple loved his visit to UC Sunday, more than most. He acknowledges that it feels different walking around campus as a verbally committed player. The pressure and unease is now replaced by comfort and calmness.

"It feels different," said Temple. "It feels like home, that I am a Bearcat. I am going to be here for the next four or five years."

http://cincinnati.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1106972
Racinejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #33
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
Great Article ^^^. Nice to see Temple is so excited to be a Bearcat. I do find it a bit disturbing that a guy from Indianapolis seems to be more excited about the Cats than two guys from Cincinnati. I also have to wonder why Daniels is so ga-ga about BC. What the hell- it is thousands of miles from home and they are a middle of the pack ACC team. They have nothing that UC doesn't have (education aside and don't give me this crap that Daniels is there for the education).
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #34
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
There has always been a big draw to BC from St. X. When I was there, several players went to play for BC. I don't know why there is that connection, but it has been there for many years.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #35
Racinejake

Racinejake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
There has always been a big draw to BC from St. X. When I was there, several players went to play for BC. I don't know why there is that connection, but it has been there for many years.
I think I read it was because Tom O'Brien who coached at BC for several years ('96 to '06 I believe) went to St. X and is a legendary figure there from what I gather. Although O'Brien is no longer there I'm sure there are still some BC influences since many St. X players have played at BC including Daniels' teammate Luke Kuechly. I'd feel much better about our LB situation right now if Kuechly had chosed to attend UC.
Racinejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #36
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
I understand the St. X draw, particularly for academic and religious reasons (it is a jesuit school). I am just saying that in the here and now, if you are a big time football recruit, there is nothing that BC can offer that UC cannot. In fact, UC has several advantages over BC from the football perspective(staying at home, chance to win the conference every year, local rivalry games with UL, Pitt, and WVU, nationally televised games, etc.).

I wish Kuechly would have came here too. Ditto Scruggs and Darius Ashley as well (UL).
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote