Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2011 Recruiting Profiles

Old 07-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #21
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinejake View Post
It is somewhat concerning that the kid only had offers from MAC programs and us. Scout does seem to think pretty highly of him as you say and they rank him as their #56 overall OT which is 17 spots ahead of Justin Murray. It's funny because we'd be doing cartwheels over a prospect like this just a couple years ago. Hopefully the staff knows what they're doing on this one.
I thought the same thing myself. Keep in mind, he is tall but the guy is still not that big for an offensive tackle. He is actually as large as an oversized TE at this point. Maybe that was what shyed a lot of the B10 schools away because they are used to having the 300+pounders in their brand of football. I searched a little bit and saw he really impressed at the University of Michigan's camp a few weeks ago. Maybe we snatched him before he really blew up?
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #22
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Danny View Post
I thought the same thing myself. Keep in mind, he is tall but the guy is still not that big for an offensive tackle. He is actually as large as an oversized TE at this point. Maybe that was what shyed a lot of the B10 schools away because they are used to having the 300+pounders in their brand of football. I searched a little bit and saw he really impressed at the University of Michigan's camp a few weeks ago. Maybe we snatched him before he really blew up?
Offensive Linemen are like Big Men in college hoops. You have your elite prospects that are no brainers and will be excellent players at the next level. After that, you have pretty much everyone else and it is a bit of a crap shoot. Like most big guys in college hoops, Offensive Linemen need a year or two to still grow into their bodies and learn to use their size. Most of the guys coming in need a year or two in college to really allow their size to catch up with their potential. Some guys end up being good players and some do not. In my opinion, OL is the toughest position to evaluate in football. You can watch a kid throw a ball or run real fast and you can see a kid tackle properly and have a good idea of how it will translate at the next level. On the OL there are a lot of variables such as size and technique and body style. Coaching staffs all across the country strike out more often on these players than any other position. That's why you will see 3 or 4 OL in each recruiting class. You never know.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #23
Daniel Drake

Daniel Drake is on a distinguished road
You have to wonder if they meant to have Rawles at 13 or Ehinger at 13 on the scout list. They have them confused by position and they have them linked wrong. I imagine that Ehinger is 17, but leave it to scout to list him as a 5'10" 210 RB.

Recruiting is funny because the #19 player on this list is Jake Duzy who chose Iowa over MSU and UC as a TE. People would have been thrilled to get Duzy, but don't have any excitement for the guy 2 spots above him on this list. This could be a total bust of a pickup or it could turn out to be one hell of a pick up.

I will take a big kid who needs to add weight and strength, but has great footwork and teqnique than a kid who has always been big and overpowering and has not developed the skills - and in recruiting the big kid typically gets ranked higher even though weight and strength is often easier to add on than technique and an understanding of leverage.

This kid was in this coaching staffs back yard and they have probably seen him more than any other staff. If they feel he is good enough to play at Cincinnati than I want him here.
Daniel Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Great pickup for UC.

Here's the espn version...

espn_OTT_FB Offensive lineman Parker Ehinger set to play for the Bearcats - http://es.pn/bevMDF
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #25
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
Loading up on Big Uglies in this class... MUCH needed too... now if we can get some more D-Linemen in the fold...
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #26
Racinejake

Racinejake will become famous soon enough
I'm wondering if we're done at DT since we turned away Scarpinato from Wisconsin who just verballed to Michigan State. Definitely need a couple DEs in this class for sure.
Racinejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #27
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I'm wondering the same thing, especially after finishing up the 2010 class with the late addition, plus adding a solid DT to our current class. Then again, I'm of the assumption you don't have enough big uglies on the line, especially in the 4-3.

But what do I know, I thought Cordero was gonna be solid this year.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #28
oldtimer1979

oldtimer1979 is on a distinguished road
Speaking of DT - Hunter Maynard DT from Watterson , camped at Mich. State yesterday and dominated the 1 on 1's. Coach D, Tressel, and Gill liked what they seen. Coach Tressel has been recriuting him and MSU's interest went way up after camp yesterday. More than a few of the coaches were talikng him up after the camp. Ran a 5.2 at 295#

Possible offer from MSU in the coming weeks? They have 22 to give and still need a big guy in the middle.

If Cincy wants another DT , this OHIO guy is the guy to get.
oldtimer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #29
Racinejake

Racinejake will become famous soon enough
Maybe the coaches are just done with DT since we have limited scholarships to give out this year. If it were me I'd find a way to take him if I thought he was worth an offer just because it's so critical to have plenty of solid depth at DT. If Maynard doesn't wind up at UC I hope he goes somewhere that we won't have to face him and be reminded of the fact that we didn't offer.
Racinejake is offline   Reply With Quote