Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #91
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
If rebounding is an issue, zone wouldn't help but it's worth a shot at this point I guess.
We’ve played a matchup zone for years and still rebounded fairly decent.

We have nothing to lose.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #92
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Their center was 5-5, the rest of their team only shot 30%. Playing a zone would have defended their center than having Vogt on him did.
Even with Diara in I would have let Zhang bomb 30 footers. But I would have rather Vogt been able to score 8 more points in the mean time
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #93
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Their center was 5-5, the rest of their team only shot 30%. Playing a zone would have defended their center than having Vogt on him did.
Did you watch the game? I know at least 2 of those were when Vogt was not in the game, or guarding him. Are we blaming him for all 5 even though he wasn't in the game? Let me know.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #94
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
McNeal is useless, If Jaevin isn’t hitting shots he is useless, liability on defense.. Jarron turned it on for about 10 minutes... Keith was great in the first half and then horrifying in the second half, Tre Scott was Tre Scott, Chris Vogt couldn’t defend the Asian kid who was nailing 3’s, JB should have made an adjustment, Diarra played a great game IMO, he deserves more minutes, Davenport played well when in, give him McNeals minutes
Yeah, I thought Davenport and Diarra played well. McNeal and Jaevin a such major liabilities (on opposite ends of the court) that I wouldn't mid letting someone else earn their minutes. Jaevin can be great when the threes are falling, but that seems to not be happening lately.

Tulane went after Vogt all night and he wasn't up to the challenge. Hard to say a guy who scored 21 points hurt us more then he helped us, but he may have.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #95
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldpanner View Post
Tulane shot what? 50% 3 pointers. Zone would not be the answer
Dude we foul a crap ton. A lot of it is because we can’t guard. A zone by nature helps hide poor defenders and helps the fouling issue.

3 pointers rarely beat you alone if you don’t foul and allow easy buckets.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #96
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
We’ve played a matchup zone for years and still rebounded fairly decent.

We have nothing to lose.
The zone is harder to rebound out of. That's why teams don't run it but I agree, why not throw it in there every once in a while. Can't hurt at this point.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #97
Goldpanner

Goldpanner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did you watch the game? I know at least 2 of those were when Vogt was not in the game, or guarding him. Are we blaming him for all 5 even though he wasn't in the game? Let me know.
Scott was on him for at least 2 of them. Williams on the other
Goldpanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:00 PM   #98
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Lol I mean we’re cincinnati and we just allowed 76 points from Tulane and people are defending the current strategy.

I’ve dropped my bias. Every one drop theirs too,

We suck at defense.

And it seems Brannen has very little respect for other coaches considering he makes no adjustments at half when seemingly the other team is.

Perfect example: Chris Mack can’t coach defense and is a packline defense guy. But when Xavier was at its best a few years ago, it was because he was willing to mix up a 1-3-1 that confused so many teams.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #99
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not blaming him for all 5 (I believe he was 3-3 over Vogt, 1-1 over Sorolla and 1-1 over Keith). But him pulling Vogt to the perimeter hurt us way more than just him hitting threes.

Vogt on the perimeter takes away our interior defender and makes Vogt useless for defensive rebounding. Besides that, Tulane also put Vogt in a lot of pick-and-rolls and had a fair amount of success with it. There's a reason Brannen went to Diarra at center for a while this game.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:07 PM   #100
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Not blaming him for all 5 (I believe he was 3-3 over Vogt, 1-1 over Sorolla and 1-1 over Keith). But him pulling Vogt to the perimeter hurt us way more than just him hitting threes.

Vogt on the perimeter takes away our interior defender and makes Vogt useless for defensive rebounding. Besides that, Tulane also put Vogt in a lot of pick-and-rolls and had a fair amount of success with it. There's a reason Brannen went to Diarra at center for a while this game.
You haven't given me a solution. Maybe you have, I don't know. But you either want him guarding his man or protecting the rim? He can't do both, and you need he's offense. So what's the solution?