Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2012 Recruiting Profiles

Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
Hicks' Guns

Hicks' Guns is on a distinguished road
So as far as bigs go, we have:

Justin
Cheik
Rubles
Nyarsuk
Gaines

Getting a little crowded and I like that we'll have a competition. It's likely that 3 guys will get meaningful playing time with another at 5-10 minutes a game.

Something tells me, Gaines will be sitting again. Admittedly, it seems to be pretty wide open and everyone should have a chance.
Hicks' Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
C I N C Y

C I N C Y is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks' Guns View Post

Justin
Cheik
Rubles
Nyarsuk
Gaines

Getting a little crowded and I like that we'll have a competition. It's likely that 3 guys will get meaningful playing time with another at 5-10 minutes a game.

Something tells me, Gaines will be sitting again. Admittedly, it seems to be pretty wide open and everyone should have a chance.
From what I have heard Gaines is not really progressing. He plays and practices hard and has a good attitude but if he gives us more than 5 minutes a game we are in trouble. Mick stated in an interview done last week on BCL ( free article) that he wonders every day if Gaines can help this team at all next year but sees the light starting to go off from him. I also remember Mick saying on his radio show last year that Gaines is flat out not ready to play and they knew this would be the case when they recrutied him that it may take till deep in year 3 or year 4 for him to be a major factor for the program. Getting this Nyarsuk guy is great I think. Low risk high reward.
C I N C Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Cheikh has really improved according to observers and players. They need another guy that can give them strong minutes at the 5. I still haven't seen an official announcement but if this holds the reasoning behind it is sound. They obviously feel the move will be an upgrade or givet hem another body out to eat minutes in the post.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #24
dp3113
Elite Member

dp3113 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks' Guns View Post

Justin
Cheik
Rubles
Nyarsuk
Gaines

dont expect to see gaines play any more this year than he did last year.
dp3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Saw on a WVU board what people agreed was a good description on David. They said he is similiar to Dieng from UL in that if he isn't blocking shots he is changing them. Mick has made a concerted effort to get a shot blocker/changer for the back end of the press. They say he will get his share of rebounds and some put backs. They wouldn't have minded seeing him verbal to WVU again. Offensively you take what you get out of him.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #26
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I like the move, with such a big question mark in the frontcourt another body will be nice. This really isn't adding another big, we lost Ellis, so this replaces a big. He will only take up two years scholarship if he doesn't pan out and this first year would've been wasted anyway. From the little bit of video I saw he has good instincts. What I like the most is he kept the ball high on shots and on putbacks. He moves very well for a seven-footer. Can't wait to see this team suit up this year.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #27
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like Obekpa 2.0 minus the hype
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #28
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
Sounds like Obekpa 2.0 minus the hype
Could be the second coming of John Reik.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #29
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
Could be the second coming of John Reik.
National Title?
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #30
catsfan4life

catsfan4life is an unknown quantity at this point
and add 5 inches to obekpa's height and you have Nyarsuk
catsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote