Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 01-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat81 View Post
My guess is Coombs will wait to leave Ohio St when he turns 60. I believe, and I could be wrong, because Ohio State is a state university it pays into his state retirement he earned as a teacher. Rules are you receive 80% of the average of your last 5 years when you retire at 60. So he would receive his last 5 years at an extremely high pay. Could be wrong, but I wouldn't blame him if that is true, sticking it out until pay day.
This is definitely not true, or not exactly true. In STRS, the Teacher's retirement system, he could retire at any age as long as he has enough service time (it used to be 30 years, but it is currently 31 and going up to 35 by 2021). Otherwise, he would need to wait until he was 65.

He has something like 34 years coaching high school and college in Ohio, so he could probably retire at full benefits now (although since he has not been a teacher since leaving Colerain, they might be in two different systems - STRS, which is for teachers, and OPERS, which is for all other state employees). However, age 60 has no importance in any case.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #12
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
There is just something about football coaches making 6 and 7 figure plus salaries being a part of a state employee pension that doesn't sit right with me
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #13
bearcat81

bearcat81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
This is definitely not true, or not exactly true. In STRS, the Teacher's retirement system, he could retire at any age as long as he has enough service time (it used to be 30 years, but it is currently 31 and going up to 35 by 2021). Otherwise, he would need to wait until he was 65.

He has something like 34 years coaching high school and college in Ohio, so he could probably retire at full benefits now (although since he has not been a teacher since leaving Colerain, they might be in two different systems - STRS, which is for teachers, and OPERS, which is for all other state employees). However, age 60 has no importance in any case.
Unless he was grandfathered in, the retirement is now 35 years AND 60 years old. So he must be 60 for full retirement even if that means you work more than 35 years.
bearcat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #14
bearcat81

bearcat81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME80 View Post
There is just something about football coaches making 6 and 7 figure plus salaries being a part of a state employee pension that doesn't sit right with me
100% Agree
bearcat81 is offline   Reply With Quote