Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #141
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Correct, even if they have 4 fouls with 6 minutes to go.

He also has had a history of weird substitution patterns, like taking out gary and kyle at the same time last year, sitting kyle after scoring 8 pts in a row etc..
Yeah taking Kyle out frustrated the hell out of me. And yes, not always having 2 of Evans, Clark, Washington, Cumberland on the floor at all times (unless blow out etc) frustrated me as well. I hated Cronins sub pattern (and starting lineup) last season.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #142
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Correct, even if they have 4 fouls with 6 minutes to go.

He also has had a history of weird substitution patterns, like taking out gary and kyle at the same time last year, sitting kyle after scoring 8 pts in a row etc..
His weird substitute patterns got them home at 31-5 and 16-2 in league. If he does as well this year I'll be very happy.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #143
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
His weird substitute patterns got them home at 31-5 and 16-2 in league. If he does as well this year I'll be very happy.

That has nothing to do with the comment you stated that he puts the players on the court that give him the best chance to win. The margin for error was much much greater last year with 3 1K scorers and a weak league.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #144
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
That has nothing to do with the comment you stated that he puts the players on the court that give him the best chance to win. The margin for error was much much greater last year with 3 1K scorers and a weak league.
It has everything to do with it. Many are saying he will play this guy over that guy. My comment was he plays the players that will give him the best chance to win. If you don't agree with that fine. My point is he has done quite well doing it his way. Doesn't mean there isn't other ways to get it done.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #145
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
It has everything to do with it. Many are saying he will play this guy over that guy. My comment was he plays the players that will give him the best chance to win. If you don't agree with that fine. My point is he has done quite well doing it his way. Doesn't mean there isn't other ways to get it done.
Waite, so you would have started Jenifer over cane b/c he gives you a better chance to win, same with KJ a couple years ago?

Cmon he had 3 1K scorers including all conference defensive player and POY, first round NBA playerand he maxes out by not beating X or getting past first weekend? Everything adds up fine to you? Sure they won conference and conference tourney in a conference that sent nobody to second weekend NCAA's. To me it appears to be his ceiling,I dont see him having as talented a team as that again, or the draw he got from the second round to F4, but you dont have to agree.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 08-13-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #146
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Waite, so you would have started Jenifer over cane b/c he gives you a better chance to win, same with KJ a couple years ago?

Cmon he had 3 1K scorers including all conference defensive player and POY, first round NBA playerand he maxes out by not beating X or getting past first weekend? Everything adds up fine to you? Sure they won conference and conference tourney in a conference that sent nobody to second weekend NCAA's. To me it appears to be his ceiling,I dont see him having as talented a team as that again, or the draw he got from the second round to F4, but you dont have to agree.
I had know issue him starting JJ over Cane. He was a better ball handler and defender. Cane strengths allowed him to play with the second unit and be a scorer. X was a very good team as well. You make them sound like we got beat by a scrub team. As for being fine, like you I want more but as someone who has lived through the years between Jucker and Huggins if they make a move they had better get it right. My belief is as our athletics are structured now and our conference affiliation this may be as good as it gets. You would have never convinced me in my 64 years on this earth that X would have a better program then us. There basketball only and big east affiliation have put them ahead of us. It makes me sick. It will surprise you who I blame. I blame Huggins. His drunk ass driving around town just when we were positioned to enter the best basket league in the history of the NCAA hurt us tremendously. Mick was dealt a crap sandwich and has done well. He may have peaked. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 08-13-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #147
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Dude if we started cane last year, who the hell scored when he needs a rest?

Cane is a higher usage PG. his higher usage means it would take away possessions from jarron, Kyle, Jake and Gary. Jenifer is a low usage guard. He barely took shots and just let the other guys work.

Cane got more scoring opportunity coming off the bench. It’s not that hard to see.

I’ll be upset if he doesn’t start this season buf by all indication he will
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #148
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

Cane is a higher usage PG. his higher usage means it would take away possessions from jarron, Kyle, Jake and Gary. Jenifer is a low usage guard. He barely took shots and just let the other guys work.

Cane got more scoring opportunity coming off the bench. It’s not that hard to see.

I suppose the Warriors should start a different lineup cause Curry, Thompson, green, Durant and boogie’s usage rates are all too high. This is a tired argument. “He cant play the best players cause he’d have no one coming off the bench”....so you start a bench player? That’s nonsense
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #149
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I suppose the Warriors should start a different lineup cause Curry, Thompson, green, Durant and boogie’s usage rates are all too high. This is a tired argument. “He cant play the best players cause he’d have no one coming off the bench”....so you start a bench player? That’s nonsense
Not nonsense at all. creatin a cohesive unit is huge. In my opinion Cane was not ready to step into the role of distributor after being the alpha dog at Scared Heart. I think you'll see him used differently this year if he steps it up defensively.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #150
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

Jake