Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2022, 10:32 PM   #21
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
The biggest thing this team needed was to see those outside shots going down to open things up. Man how things have changed in 5 games. We had some very sloppy play but that can be cleaned up.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 11:40 PM   #22
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Basketball is easy when the shots are falling. This game had 80 possessions, and we scored 1.13 points per possession. 90 points is great, but our offensive performance was actually better against SMU and Memphis. Our defense was also good in this one as we held Tulsa to 0.87 points per possession, our best performance of the conference season.

It was our best shooting performance of the year, but also a season worst 24% turnover rate. We turned it over on almost a quarter of our possessions, and the blame can be spread around since 6 players had multiple turnovers. We completely flopped on that key to the game, but great shooting more than compensated.

On defense we forced them into 27 midrange shots and held them to just 41% at the rim thanks to 8 blocks. Before the game I mentioned Darien Jackson gets to the rim a lot and converts 66% and he did exactly that with a 6-9 mark at the rim. Horne also had a good night with the outside shot falling, but we were able to shut down Draine and hold Griffin to an inefficient game featuring 10 midrange shots.

I liked the Ody and Hensley combo against an undersized opponent. They didn't do much on offense but had 13 rebounds and 4 blocks in 36 minutes. Koval also had a great game with 6 rebounds, 2 blocks, a steal, no turnovers, and 1-1 from three in just 13 minutes. And of course Davenport, DDJ, and Madsen combined for an insane 15-20 from three.

A lot to like about this game, and also some things to be concerned about when we make the trip to Tulsa in a few weeks
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:01 AM   #23
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Miller seemed concerned in the postgame about Newman's knee injury. Hopefully he'll be able to return to action soon.

I think it was Chad who pointed out that the Bearcats are 5-0 over the last two seasons when Madsen makes at least three 3s in a game. It just goes to show what a weapon he can be off the bench when he's hitting shots. It was nice to see him have a more positive impact on the game defensively as well.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:41 AM   #24
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
It's incredible how much things have changed in a few weeks. Not long ago it seemed like we have no one who could hit an open three and defenses were collapsing and daring us to shoot threes.

Now it seems like we may have multiple sharpshooters who can make tough threes that defenses have to focus on (Davenport, Mason, DDJ) and a bunch of guys who can make an open three (MAW, Saunders, Koval, Newman). We saw driving lanes start to open up against Tulsa as they expanded to guard the three.

Of course not all is great. Tulsa took 11 more shots than we did (+6 on TO's and +5 on offensive rebounds). But made one fewer shot. Giving up offensive rebounds seems to be a a constant problem, but we should be able to reduce our TO's significantly.

Newman's knee injury was to the same knee he injured at Clemson. Hopefully he can play again soon, he's our best defensive player by most measures. Doesn't seem good though, seemed like a non-contact injury which tend to be the worst. Mason and Hensley looked pretty good out there in his place. We've got the depth to overcome his injury if he is out for an extended period.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

About 5 games ago I think we were shooting 28% or 29% as a team from 3 which was very near the worst in NCAA. We moved up 125 spots or more to now be in the top 200 at 33.2%. Shooting 45% from 3 over 5 games.

We were trying to figure out how to avoid paint packing zones and I think we have answered the call.

As big as the final point spread was it was very sloppy in chunks of the game. We can't do that on the road. If we shot just a normal 33% or so from 3...you loose about 20 of your points.

Back side help near the rim has been a head scratcher. Sometimes we watch and sometimes we come after it. I have grown accustomed to going after it over the years and I would still prefer that style even though it comes with drawbacks. There are also draw backs to not going after it.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Hensley looked pretty good. When he touches a ball on a rebound it usually stays with him. Strong hands. Defense is not bad. Still limited on offense right now but I assume he will blossom a little with some extra minutes. Hope Newman is okay...he was really starting to hit stride