Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #1
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Keith Williams Injury (Wichita St. Game)

I'm curious if someone here can help me understand what exactly it is that occured in this game. I'm not sure there's been any explanation, and the entire situation struck me as odd from the jump.

Keith Williams basically just walks right off the court in the middle of the game. There's no clear video of an injury occuring prior to this. He seemingly walks off the court with no visible problems (no limp, no signs of pain, etc.) No trainers rush over. He needs no help in getting to the tunnel.

He then returns to the bench late in the 2nd half. Again, he didn't appear to be hurt at this time either. He walked out on his own, he walked around the court after the game. He's seen in the locker room after the game in a team pic celebrating.

At no point did ESPN update his injury during the game (Ex: "Keith Williams expected to miss 2nd half") There was no update following the game. There was no update at the post game press conference.

Then the next day he's magically able to play. Yet we still never got any news on the injury. What was it? What gives?

I think it's safe to say it wasn't a sprained ankle, a torn ligament, or an achilies. I really don't know what it could be (Cramps, a strain?) or why we wouldn't get info.

Anways, just wondering if anyone can come up with a reasonable explanation for this. I've some people on other boards mention that they think he just walked off out of frustration and was sat the 2nd half for diciplinary reasons, but I'm not I buy that. Although, that's the most plausible explanation I've heard thus far.

The more I think about this the weirder it gets. Why wouldn't Brannen or someone on the staff give a medical update betwen the injury and the following day? Why was able to walk around so well? How did he magically heal over night but he couldn't tough it out in what could've been the last game of his career? So many questions...
Old 03-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #2
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
I'm curious if someone here can help me understand what exactly it is that occured in this game. I'm not sure there's been any explanation, and the entire situation struck me as odd from the jump.

Keith Williams basically just walks right off the court in the middle of the game. There's no clear video of an injury occuring prior to this. He seemingly walks off the court with no visible problems (no limp, no signs of pain, etc.) No trainers rush over. He needs no help in getting to the tunnel.

He then returns to the bench late in the 2nd half. Again, he didn't appear to be hurt at this time either. He walked out on his own, he walked around the court after the game. He's seen in the locker room after the game in a team pic celebrating.

At no point did ESPN update his injury during the game (Ex: "Keith Williams expected to miss 2nd half") There was no update following the game. There was no update at the post game press conference.

Then the next day he's magically able to play. Yet we still never got any news on the injury. What was it? What gives?

I think it's safe to say it wasn't a sprained ankle, a torn ligament, or an achilies. I really don't know what it could be (Cramps, a strain?) or why we wouldn't get info.

Anways, just wondering if anyone can come up with a reasonable explanation for this. I've some people on other boards mention that they think he just walked off out of frustration and was sat the 2nd half for diciplinary reasons, but I'm not I buy that. Although, that's the most plausible explanation I've heard thus far.

The more I think about this the weirder it gets. Why wouldn't Brannen or someone on the staff give a medical update betwen the injury and the following day? Why was able to walk around so well? How did he magically heal over night but he couldn't tough it out in what could've been the last game of his career? So many questions...

If you watch the game about a minute before the timeout Keith kept trying to signal to the bench that he wanted to come out. I don’t know if it was missed or ignored. I think he was tired/exhausted and was then frustrated coach didn’t dub him out when he wanted. So he walked off and then sat the second half for disciplinary reasons.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
It was a bizarre sequence of events, but regardless of why Keith left the court, I will take his side over Brannen's if it ends up being a 'me vs him' type of affair.

As disappointing as Keith's season was (with regards to the expectations we had for him going in), he did a tremendous job of representing our program over the past 4 seasons. If he transferred out when Brannen arrived, I'd argue that we would've won significantly less games than we did over the past 2 seasons.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
It was a bizarre sequence of events, but regardless of why Keith left the court, I will take his side over Brannen's if it ends up being a 'me vs him' type of affair.

As disappointing as Keith's season was (with regards to the expectations we had for him going in), he did a tremendous job of representing our program over the past 4 seasons. If he transferred out when Brannen arrived, I'd argue that we would've won significantly less games than we did over the past 2 seasons.
I agree.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
The whole year has been a series of weird things. Add this to the list
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
If you watch the game about a minute before the timeout Keith kept trying to signal to the bench that he wanted to come out. I don’t know if it was missed or ignored. I think he was tired/exhausted and was then frustrated coach didn’t dub him out when he wanted. So he walked off and then sat the second half for disciplinary reasons.
I mean, this makes total sense. I really can't think of any other explanation for what happened.

If this is true, this might play into what we're seeing now too. Kind of seems like a dick move to sit your 1,000 pt Sr. for the 2nd half in potentially the last game of his career, in a must-win game.

How did it even get to this? Why wouldn't you have someone from the staff he immediately run over to him in the tunnel and cool the situation? I feel like something could have been done to smooth this situation and get him back out there for the 2nd half.

I could be wrong, but that seems like a terrible time to make an example. Also seems like shit had been building up for quite some time for Keith to pull that move. He's never been that type of kid, he's a great teammate.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
If that were the case why did it take Keith so long to come back out.

Also Mason said after the game nobody realized Keith was injured until they were told at halftime. If it were a coaches decision, Mason probably gives a different response.

Also right as the whistle was blown when Keith goes out, I'm pretty sure he pointed directly at the trainer, waived him over and walked straight to him.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

Also Mason said after the game nobody realized Keith was injured until they were told at halftime. If it were a coaches decision, Mason probably gives a different response.

Also right as the whistle was blown when Keith goes out, I'm pretty sure he pointed directly at the trainer, waived him over and walked straight to him.
It was odd but doesn’t seem like much too me. The guy was crying on the bench. I’m guessing it was more of a precautionary thing. But I don’t know.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:11 AM   #9
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

It was poop cramps.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
It was poop cramps.

seems to be the most logical conclusion. worried if he ran he'd dump out all over the place.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote