Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #1101
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Still hoping for a best case scenario here with a new hire. Not expecting it but hoping. A quick new hire hopefully that is already in the works behind the scenes (fingers crossed).

Keep all players who are not in transfer portal along with Spell.

Retain 2 players from the portal (Ex...Tari and Mike)

Transfer in 2 players with new coach

Keep Banks as a walk on. If he is useful this year...give him a scholly next year.

Transfer portal for 3 players. Save one for late developments

If this drags out too far we don't want to be picking up 6-8 players from the portal after the portal has already been picked through.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #1102
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

If this drags out too far we don't want to be picking up 6-8 players from the portal after the portal has already been picked through.

It's going to drag out. They can't appear to come up with the 5 million and its pretty clear from Brannens attorney he's not leaving without it.

Cunningham took his swing and missed. There is no way I want that guy picking the next coach.

This is the worst case scenario with JB nor JC being here a year from now as they burned down the program together.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #1103
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
It's going to drag out. They can't appear to come up with the 5 million and its pretty clear from Brannens attorney he's not leaving without it.

Cunningham took his swing and missed. There is no way I want that guy picking the next coach.

This is the worst case scenario with JB nor JC being here a year from now as they burned down the program together.
Why would they have to come up with 5M if it's a fire for cause?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #1104
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why would they have to come up with 5M if it's a fire for cause?

Thats the big question isn't it.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #1105
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Keep Banks as a walk on. If he is useful this year...give him a scholly next year.

Transfer portal for 3 players. Save one for late developments

I'd be fine with potential new coach going the Juco route, couple of late signees, maybe 2 portal guys, and a few Fifth Year players that will create COMPETITIVE PRACTICES.
Rob Banks unfortunately doesn't make anyone better. #We are in no Position to Waste Scholarships.

Look at Keith's regression the last 2 seasons, who could guard him in practice? vs his first 2 years. I bet those practices were legit, due to the surrounding players. Not so much the last 2 Seasons. I would have closed practices too lol.

Last edited by sedziobs; 04-07-2021 at 02:26 PM. Reason: formatting
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #1106
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
I'd be fine with potential new coach going the Juco route, couple of late signees, maybe 2 portal guys, and a few Fifth Year players that will create COMPETITIVE PRACTICES.
Rob Banks unfortunately doesn't make anyone better. #We are in no Position to Waste Scholarships.

Look at Keith's regression the last 2 seasons, who could guard him in practice? vs his first 2 years. I bet those practices were legit, due to the surrounding players. Not so much the last 2 Seasons. I would have closed practices too lol.
The flip side of this is taking transfers late in the game and them not working out and having to waste roster space on them for more than a year.

If we can get in the game now we should be able to find some decent players right now.

Last edited by sedziobs; 04-07-2021 at 02:27 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 04-07-2021, 03:53 PM   #1107
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The flip side of this is taking transfers late in the game and them not working out and having to waste roster space on them for more than a year.

If we can get in the game now we should be able to find some decent players right now.
Paul McMillan should absolutely have say so in our next coach. Get him next year and I believe griffin and Peterson will follow. Can’t be a lame hire again
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:47 PM   #1108
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
This process seems to be working out pretty well. Timing is perfect
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #1109
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I've said before and I will say again, that until the process is over, there is no reason to believe that JC screwed anything up. He has most likely been working with lawyers on this since well before the season ended.

I was hoping it would go more quickly, but even if it takes until May, as long as Brannen is fired with cause (or settles for less than 2 million or so), I'm fine with it. The other option was to commit to Brannen for 2 more years.

If we can't afford 5.25 million this year, we couldn't afford 4.125 million next year. If there is cause and you don't fire him now, you are tacitly approving his actions. You aren't going to be able to fire him with cause next year, at least not unless he screws up again.

So the question is, what hurts the program worse. Keeping Brannen for 2 more years or firing Brannen ASAP with cause, even if worst case scenario ASAP is early may?

Considering the number of players transferring out and the number who have come out against Brannen, it's hard to believe that we'd be better off keeping him two more years. We are in worse shape to start this off-season than we were to start last off-season and worse shape last off-season than the season before that. It's a downhill trajectory with Brannen and we need to get him out.

There's going to be short-term pain from cutting out the cancer. But in the end we are better off with the cancer out.

If Brannen isn't fired with cause, then a lot of people screwed up. It's not just JC who made this decision. It's JC, the BoT and Pinto. I trust that they know what they are doing. If there is no cause to fire Brannen, then a whole lot of people screwed up and there will be a major reckoning. But until/unless that happens I'm going to assume the simple answer is correct and there is cause to fire Brannen, just need to dot I's and cross the T's. This is going to court, so UC can't afford to make a mistake.

P.S. No real reason to believe it. But I have a feeling that Brannen's firing with cause is announced by the end of the week.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:53 PM   #1110
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Another day with no news. I just want this mess behind us to concentrate on a future, as bleak as short term of a future that may be...

If the Reds weren't 5-1 I'd be even more pissed.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote