Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #101
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Given the actions of the former players trashing guys for transferring, I'm not that fond of former players right now. It's a bad look and probably disqualifies them consideration if Cunningham is trying to convince transfers to come back. The former players should have waited until they actually knew the facts (which we still don't).

Erik Martin wasn't a part of it, but his association with former players is probably enough to keep our guys in the portal away. NVE isn't coming here, Chad has said multiple times, adamantly, that Pinto has no interest in NVE or Pitino. Not going to happen.

The only person media wise who has done a great job so far is Justin Williams with his reporting. Covered both sides, stayed unbiased.
Not sure I care to have the transfers back.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:31 PM   #102
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Yea, Archie Miller would be a meh hire, but better than John Brannen I feel but its still less than Cronin. The John Jakus, kimani young, Darris Nichols, Dennis Gates that just have me like who are they? As a recruit why come to these guys?. I gotta say I'm leaning at least more of a combination of Erik Martin and NVE. Just as much basketball knowledge as those guys previously mentioned and I'm pretty sure just as ppl savvy/player savvy. Also the aspect of not bolting when possible and actually caring and having pride about the program. I believe john Brannen wasn't even a Bearcats fan.. The more conservative, typical choice is otherwise.. besides really going for it like say a Patino and or making a run at someone else with more weight in the game/pedigree. It's hard to believe the finances aren't good enough to make something like that happen
How many people said the same thing about Fickell before he was hired? I have not seen any clear cut great choice out there. It comes down to retread (Archie Miller, Bryce Drew), versus up-and-comer. With a few established mid-major coaches who haven't been spectacular (Colgate, Belmont, Wright State) thrown into the mix.

Some of these guys are great coaches waiting for their chance to shine, Cunningham's job is to find one that is and not another dud.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #103
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Not sure I care to have the transfers back.
Don't think Cunningham cares what you think. Based on Justin Williams and Chad's reports, Cunningham has stayed in close contact with the guys transferring and has been encouraging them to be patient. All signs point to him wanting (at least some of) them back. So I doubt former player is high on his potential HC list.

The former players, much like Brannen, shot themselves in the foot if they want a job here.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #104
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I honestly don’t care if they come back or not but I believe that decision should 100% be up to the new coach

I mean if it’s Archie, and he can land a bunch of high level transfers, I don’t want John’s low level recruits taking up the space

This is a game of winning. That’s what I want to do
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #105
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Don't think Cunningham cares what you think. Based on Justin Williams and Chad's reports, Cunningham has stayed in close contact with the guys transferring and has been encouraging them to be patient. All signs point to him wanting (at least some of) them back. So I doubt former player is high on his potential HC list.

The former players, much like Brannen, shot themselves in the foot if they want a job here.
Yes.. cunningham pushing away the guys who built this place sounds like a brilliant gameplan.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #106
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Yes.. cunningham pushing away the guys who built this place sounds like a brilliant gameplan.
It worked for Cronin.

If the players want to be involved, they need to get some lessons on media relations. They shouldn't be talking trash about guys leaving the program.

Erik Martin wasn't involved, but unfortunately, the actions of a few reflect upon the whole group.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #107
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It worked for Cronin.

If the players want to be involved, they need to get some lessons on media relations. They shouldn't be talking trash about guys leaving the program.

Erik Martin wasn't involved, but unfortunately, the actions of a few reflect upon the whole group.
That’s not how it works
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #108
UCats329

UCats329 is on a distinguished road
Looks like Mike Woodson is no longer available. Damn.
UCats329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #109
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
How many people said the same thing about Fickell before he was hired? I have not seen any clear cut great choice out there. It comes down to retread (Archie Miller, Bryce Drew), versus up-and-comer. With a few established mid-major coaches who haven't been spectacular (Colgate, Belmont, Wright State) thrown into the mix.

Some of these guys are great coaches waiting for their chance to shine, Cunningham's job is to find one that is and not another dud.
Well, Luke the man Fickell was an assistant coach at the highest level with the Ohio State Buckeyes for a while. He was as seasoned and primed as they come. These guys we are currently pondering on in regards to basketball not so much. Archie failed in the big ten at a prime school. I would guess he would figure he is stepping down. We need a guy who thinks of this job as something to be appreciative about. A viable former player in regards to this program in this situation would be appropriate and if they fail everyone can just easily say they were placed in a tough situation. That's the best alternative quick fix. As far as former players speaking down as I recall corie Blount and Terry Nelson stepped up in defense of Brannen publicly two guys on that 92 final 4 team with both NVE and Erik Martin
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #110
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

All the old timers are sticking up for Brannen in a weird twist.... And we have a AD who cares more about guys who want to leave than the guys who built the place.