Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #111
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Which would you rather have if you can't have both? A good coach or a good recruiter? If he is good at one and average at the other. Sampson seems to be good at both and Penny is good at one and not as good at the other.

Houston and Memphis have shown we can get good players to the conference so it is possible to do. I think Brannen was decent at both but obviously he is/was missing a big part of what drives and holds a team together.

I think we can have some good years with 3 and 4 star kids if we can keep them on the team for a while. If we drop a 5 star in there that would be great but sometimes those kids are gone soon after so they don't add a lot of long term value.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #112
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
You can have both, and it doesn't have to be one person. Michigan's pairing of Howard and Martelli is a template that can be reproduced.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:43 AM   #113
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
You can have both, and it doesn't have to be one person. Michigan's pairing of Howard and Martelli is a template that can be reproduced.
I agree there. As head coach are you thinking land an up and comer from a smaller school? A former player? A capable assistant to a good coach in a better conference? Or a big name who has had success and has also been let go?

I wouldn't mind seeing a former player help with recruiting
Old 03-29-2021, 09:06 AM   #114
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree there. As head coach are you thinking land an up and comer from a smaller school? A former player? A capable assistant to a good coach in a better conference? Or a big name who has had success and has also been let go?

I wouldn't mind seeing a former player help with recruiting
I like either of these options:

1) The Michigan route with a big name head coach to attract recruits and a long established veteran strategy assistant. In this case the head coach needs to be new to college ball or he's not going to tolerate much control from the assistant. And the assistant needs to be a veteran to be taken seriously.

2) A young innovative head coach (Alexander or Grasso) and a big name assistant to attract recruits (maybe former players like James White or DerMarr)

The problem with retreads is they're unlikely to give up any amount of control. If it's not one of those two options (which would be difficult to find a good pairing), I'd rather have a coach who has had sustained mid-major success.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #115
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
We are going to have a super tight budget right? I'm not sure if we are gonna have money for good assistants. It's looking like its going to take very penny we have to force brannen out.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #116
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
We are going to have a super tight budget right? I'm not sure if we are gonna have money for good assistants. It's looking like its going to take very penny we have to force brannen out.
Yeah, my #1 option above probably isn't feasible for us. I think we can afford #2 though. Give me Grasso (he can bring Phil Martelli Jr too) and James White. That's an unproven and therefore cheap combo that could put some fun teams on the court.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #117
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Just thinking about Archie here again. Obviously you want a coach trending in the right direction but the Big 10 was loaded this year with two #1 seeds, two #2 seeds and a 4 seed for 5 protected. and then another 4 tourney teams.

IU beat Iowa twice. Lost to FSU, Wisc, and Ill in overtime. And they beat MD.

I guess consistency is an issue but he can coach a team against quality.he improved almost every year at UD and he was in line for a tourney birth last year at IU.

I am not hating this too much.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #118
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Just thinking about Archie here again. Obviously you want a coach trending in the right direction but the Big 10 was loaded this year with two #1 seeds, two #2 seeds and a 4 seed for 5 protected. and then another 4 tourney teams.

IU beat Iowa twice. Lost to FSU, Wisc, and Ill in overtime. And they beat MD.

I guess consistency is an issue but he can coach a team against quality.he improved almost every year at UD and he was in line for a tourney birth last year at IU.

I am not hating this too much.
Just got paid 10 million to go away... May take a lower salary to get back in the game close by.

I think it's a realistic outcome.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:57 AM   #119
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Just got paid 10 million to go away... May take a lower salary to get back in the game close by.

I think it's a realistic outcome.
IU was ranked #36 last year on Torvik. This year #56.

UC last year #48 and this year #116

Again...I am not hating the Miller talk. If he is in the AAC those numbers go up by win volume and we are dancing both years in all likelihood. He's not terrible in either offense or defense although he seems a little better at D. I would like to see him improve that offensive ranking. Gotta be able to score
Old 03-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #120
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Archie has had poor shooting teams in all four years at Indiana, and they've been near the very bottom of all college basketball in 3pt rate and pace. That's a concern for me in the modern game. And in general his stats are all over the map across his career. He's not consistently good in any area. He seems to be a good recruiter, but I'm not convinced he could bring the same level of guys he was getting at Indiana to UC.

I wouldn't hate an Archie hire. I wouldn't be very excited either.