Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #1831
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I agree to a certain extent here but obviously they use Cane to try to bail them out when others aren't able to score. That tells you something.

But obviously not the whole story. Cane leads most categories on Justin except turnovers and maybe on point D...IDK on that last one. But at the same time Cane gets more steals and rebounds per 40. Cane has more assists and points per 40.

To me it all comes down to plus minus when each are in the game. I think Cronin is still trying to teach CAne a thing or two. Maybe it's how he wants to run the offense. Maybe it's not looking to be the primary scorer...who knows. Maybe it's a combination of the two. Attitude? IDK. Either way I don't think the TO differential is enough to offset the rest of the stats.

Per 40 minutes Jenifer leads Cane by 2.4 turnovers. Cane leads by 1.8 rebounds, 1.6 steals, 1.1 assists, and 6.7 points. When you add all that up Cane is plus 8.8 overall. I don't care as much if we use him off the bench for scoring pop...but he needs to be on the court more unless there is something we aren't privy to which there probably is.
Really don't think there is more to it. He uses Cane in a variety of roles. JJ can't give him that option. That is why on this team he uses him like he does. Cane has a very important role on this team even if he isn't starting.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #1832
Protected1
Banned

Protected1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree to a certain extent here but obviously they use Cane to try to bail them out when others aren't able to score. That tells you something.

But obviously not the whole story. Cane leads most categories on Justin except turnovers and maybe on point D...IDK on that last one. But at the same time Cane gets more steals and rebounds per 40. Cane has more assists and points per 40.

To me it all comes down to plus minus when each are in the game. I think Cronin is still trying to teach CAne a thing or two. Maybe it's how he wants to run the offense. Maybe it's not looking to be the primary scorer...who knows. Maybe it's a combination of the two. Attitude? IDK. Either way I don't think the TO differential is enough to offset the rest of the stats.

Per 40 minutes Jenifer leads Cane by 2.4 turnovers. Cane leads by 1.8 rebounds, 1.6 steals, 1.1 assists, and 6.7 points. When you add all that up Cane is plus 8.8 overall. I don't care as much if we use him off the bench for scoring pop...but he needs to be on the court more unless there is something we aren't privy to which there probably is.
Give me Cane!!! If we are going to lose in the first weekend lets lose with the best players out there.
Protected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #1833
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #1834
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
?
I don't know how else to explain the lack of minutes. Most every sign points to Cane being the better option except turnovers. He seems to do everything else better. The turnovers have come down since the start of the season. I think the way he plays means he is going to have some...can we live with it?

My short answer is yes...if the team plays better overall...hell yes!

Last edited by waterhead; 01-16-2018 at 03:02 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #1835
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Really don't think there is more to it. He uses Cane in a variety of roles. JJ can't give him that option. That is why on this team he uses him like he does. Cane has a very important role on this team even if he isn't starting.
Just because he is filling roles as you say doesn't mean we can't get him 30 minutes. If he has more roles we should see more minutes.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #1836
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I don't know how else to explain the lack of minutes. Most every sign points to Cane being the better option except turnovers. He seems to do everything else better. The turnovers have come down since the start of the season. I think the way he plays means he is going to have some...can we live with it?

My short answer is yes...if the team plays better overall...hell yes!
The ankle thing didn't help. But we have time to get him revved up.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #1837
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
The ankle thing didn't help. But we have time to get him revved up.
Agreed...that was a set back that didn't help. I think tonight is another prime opportunity for Cane to make a statement.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #1838
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Just because he is filling roles as you say doesn't mean we can't get him 30 minutes. If he has more roles we should see more minutes.
If the game dictates that I'm sure you will.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #1839
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Coach obviously feels better with Cane filling those roles then he does with JJ doing it. I understand what he is doing and why. That is why I have know issue with it. Having a guy like Cane coming off the bench is a big advantage.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #1840
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Bill Self on the ESPN Campus Conversation podcast. Interesting to hear him talk about recruiting and the value of veterans.