Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Honest Scouting Report

This isn't a reaction from the Xavier game but more of what I've witnessed. It's time to honest with ourselves about the guys we have. I'm pointing of cons and ways to improve for each not strong points.

Troy Caupain- sometimes tries too hard to control the game instead of imposing his own pace. Unsure of himself on offense when running sets. Settles for too many jumpers when he has shown plenty of ability to finish at rim.

Farad Cobb- one trick pony. Good set shooter from three but a poor handler of the ball for a guard. Dribbles into corner then picks it up and gets trapped too many times. Can't be trusted on defense because it seems he takes possessions off down there.

Shaq Thomas- horrible jumpshot and relies on it way too much. Isn't physical enough around the paint/rim. Prone to turnovers off the bounce and too many lazy passes on the perimeter.

Gary Clark- doesn't command the ball enough and has trouble consistently sealing his man down low. Has trouble passing out of the post and beyond his 2-3 post moves has no consistent offensive game.

Octavious Ellis- his defense is extremely overrated. Too often he is sealed by his man in the paint and beaten on simple post moves. Has too much trouble finishing around the rim for a guy with his size and skill.

Kevin Johnson- maybe the worst passing guard I've ever seen. His passes are lazy and telegraphed and easily stolen. Isn't a great handler and other than an occasional 3 pointer, has no real offensive game.

Jacob Evans- lazy of defense and caught out of position especially in transition. Doesn't use his size and skill enough in attacking the basket on offense.

Coreontae DeBerry- slow to rotate on defense and struggles to recover on pick and roll. On offense he has no real go to post move other than to power the ball up. Endurance and consistent effort has always been an issue.

Justin Jenifer- relies too much on a flawed jumpshot. Plays out of control at times when he is initiating the offense. Below average defender who plays for the steal too much instead of playing solid all around defense.

Quadri Moore- raw in every sense of the word. Offensively he is always in a rush which makes every post move or jumpshot look awful. Defensively he is lost and late on rotation.

To me the reoccurring theme here is on the offensive end of the court. It's my opinion as of now it's about coaching and putting players in a position to succeed. I would make Clark my 5 and Ellis my 4 just on the offensive end. Tell Capuain to push the ball and get into the sets by the time the shot clock is at 24 seconds. New starting lineup would be:

PG Troy Capuain
SG Jacob Evans
SF Shaq Thomas
PF Gary Clark
C Octavious Ellis
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Hbomb1970

Hbomb1970 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
This isn't a reaction from the Xavier game but more of what I've witnessed. It's time to honest with ourselves about the guys we have. I'm pointing of cons and ways to improve for each not strong points.

Troy Caupain- sometimes tries too hard to control the game instead of imposing his own pace. Unsure of himself on offense when running sets. Settles for too many jumpers when he has shown plenty of ability to finish at rim.

Farad Cobb- one trick pony. Good set shooter from three but a poor handler of the ball for a guard. Dribbles into corner then picks it up and gets trapped too many times. Can't be trusted on defense because it seems he takes possessions off down there.

Shaq Thomas- horrible jumpshot and relies on it way too much. Isn't physical enough around the paint/rim. Prone to turnovers off the bounce and too many lazy passes on the perimeter.

Gary Clark- doesn't command the ball enough and has trouble consistently sealing his man down low. Has trouble passing out of the post and beyond his 2-3 post moves has no consistent offensive game.

Octavious Ellis- his defense is extremely overrated. Too often he is sealed by his man in the paint and beaten on simple post moves. Has too much trouble finishing around the rim for a guy with his size and skill.

Kevin Johnson- maybe the worst passing guard I've ever seen. His passes are lazy and telegraphed and easily stolen. Isn't a great handler and other than an occasional 3 pointer, has no real offensive game.

Jacob Evans- lazy of defense and caught out of position especially in transition. Doesn't use his size and skill enough in attacking the basket on offense.

Coreontae DeBerry- slow to rotate on defense and struggles to recover on pick and roll. On offense he has no real go to post move other than to power the ball up. Endurance and consistent effort has always been an issue.

Justin Jenifer- relies too much on a flawed jumpshot. Plays out of control at times when he is initiating the offense. Below average defender who plays for the steal too much instead of playing solid all around defense.

Quadri Moore- raw in every sense of the word. Offensively he is always in a rush which makes every post move or jumpshot look awful. Defensively he is lost and late on rotation.

To me the reoccurring theme here is on the offensive end of the court. It's my opinion as of now it's about coaching and putting players in a position to succeed. I would make Clark my 5 and Ellis my 4 just on the offensive end. Tell Capuain to push the ball and get into the sets by the time the shot clock is at 24 seconds. New starting lineup would be:

PG Troy Capuain
SG Jacob Evans
SF Shaq Thomas
PF Gary Clark
C Octavious Ellis
This scouting report could be the same for every team Mick has had for the last 8-10 years. He clearly CANNOT recruit decent players. If Xavier can get these guys then UC should, too. Mick MUST go.
Hbomb1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
Amberlycolonel

Amberlycolonel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbomb1970 View Post
This scouting report could be the same for every team Mick has had for the last 8-10 years. He clearly CANNOT recruit decent players. If Xavier can get these guys then UC should, too. Mick MUST go.
. I have been saying this for years and get hammered every time I do.he recruits within a single demographic and cannot see outside of it.
Amberlycolonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberlycolonel View Post
. I have been saying this for years and get hammered every time I do.he recruits within a single demographic and cannot see outside of it.
Now's not time for this. Talent is in team. Just need to develop it and get back on track defensively
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #5
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
This thread is clearly out of frustration towards the game today. I thought we were out coached not out manned. Style of play was the reason we lost. Getting the ball into the bigs was all Cronin was looking to do and if that doesn't work the rest of our offense is stagnant. If it's there then throw it inside if it's not continue to run offense.

We will still have a good chance to win our conference.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
And lose in the first or second round again. Like you said, it's not necessarily the players.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Thread isn't out of frustration, it's a huge dose of reality. Do we have a good chance of winning our conference? Sure. Our only real competition is SMU or UCONN. This teams flaws has been evident for a while now but nothing has been solved. Mick has concerned himself with defense so much he has put offense to the back burner. He's a lot like Les Miles of LSU. What they both do with their game plan wins them games however their stubbornness to evolve on the offensive side of the ball holds them back from winning big games against good competition.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

PG Troy Capuain
SG Jacob Evans
SF Shaq Thomas
PF Gary Clark
C Octavious Ellis
Shaq should be coming off the bench getting minutes at the 3 and 4. For every splash play he makes he makes 2 bad ones. Evans is a better player then him now. If we are unable to run a fast break he is worthless in the game. Cobb is at least a threat to knock down a jumper which spreads the floor. I do agree he has also been terrible. If he would have driven the base line one more time with no where to go I would have broke my TV. Him and KJ were terrible yesterday.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:

PG Troy Capuain
SG Jacob Evans
SF Shaq Thomas
PF Gary Clark
C Octavious Ellis
I would start Eric Bledsoe at SG and Marquis Teague at PG. Chane Behanan would be my PF. What say you?
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #10
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

Oh look the zit faced 13 year old ginger Virgin has made his presence known. I remember when I had my first beer. Troll. BTW trying to call me out by giving 3 really bad examples is hilarious. Behanan was verbaled here and we finished a very close 2nd to Bledsoe and Teague. Go copy and paste some more twitter pages to keep us updated little buddy. Lmfao