Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
Bearcats Sports

Bearcats Sports is on a distinguished road
QB #1

Well we are four games into the season and the QB situation is still up in the air. With Moore being injured for the Miami game, and Ross Trails showing he can play decently well, who is going to start? I still think Gunner is our best option, but I am very bias. I still think Tommy is punishing Gunner for all the stuff that has gone on with him in the past. Moore is doing what we all expected him to do, make great plays, then turn around and turn the ball over. I am very surprised that we didn't start the experienced Kiel for the Miami game, but at the same time I am not surprised because Tommy is our coach.
Bearcats Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats Sports View Post
Well we are four games into the season and the QB situation is still up in the air. With Moore being injured for the Miami game, and Ross Trails showing he can play decently well, who is going to start? I still think Gunner is our best option, but I am very bias. I still think Tommy is punishing Gunner for all the stuff that has gone on with him in the past. Moore is doing what we all expected him to do, make great plays, then turn around and turn the ball over. I am very surprised that we didn't start the experienced Kiel for the Miami game, but at the same time I am not surprised because Tommy is our coach.
If Gunner were a legit option other than last resort I think we would have seen him by now and likely he would have started the season as QB1. Obviously there are other non performance related issues keeping him on the sideline.

You just don't bench a highly productive (now senior) QB for a less productive (now soph) QB because you want to move in a different direction on the field. TT has done some dumb things but that would top the list if true. It's about something else...injury, attitude, personal issues, etc.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If Gunner were a legit option other than last resort I think we would have seen him by now and likely he would have started the season as QB1. Obviously there are other non performance related issues keeping him on the sideline.

You just don't bench a highly productive (now senior) QB for a less productive (now soph) QB because you want to move in a different direction on the field. TT has done some dumb things but that would top the list if true. It's about something else...injury, attitude, personal issues, etc.
Also, if this was a punishment being levied by TT, I don't think Gunner would be responding the way he has. By all accounts, he's supportive and encouraging the younger guys. You can see this during the games and both TT, Moore and Trail have talked about what a great teammate Gunner has been. I just don't think we'd be seeing that response if this was a punishment.

I think Gunner is either physically limited or he has some sort of mutual agreement with TT so he understands why he's not playing. Otherwise, I think we'd see a different temperament from him.

Just guessing - I truly have no idea.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
To me the real issue is the OL. It doesn't matter if we have QB1 QB2 or QB3, as well as RB1, RB2 or RB3 in the game. No matter who the QB is they have nearly no time to read and pass before being under pressure and the OL has not been able to make any running lanes and the RB's have been too slow getting to the outside. The OL has been getting pushed back by nearly every team even Miami.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
To me the real issue is the OL. It doesn't matter if we have QB1 QB2 or QB3, as well as RB1, RB2 or RB3 in the game. No matter who the QB is they have nearly no time to read and pass before being under pressure and the OL has not been able to make any running lanes and the RB's have been too slow getting to the outside. The OL has been getting pushed back by nearly every team even Miami.
I would agree here...but I would say quick decision making would become a priority. Generally that would be a veteran advantage because they have been in more situations
Old 09-29-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would agree here...but I would say quick decision making would become a priority. Generally that would be a veteran advantage because they have been in more situations
Mobility and durability would also be factors. Finding out who is your QB going forward between Trail and Moore isn't a bad thing. My sense is we can get to the same Bowl we did under Kiel as we will under either Trail or Moore. We are not winning the AAC this year regardless who is under center. The goal is to pick up a bowl pay check. 6 wins and we accomplish that. This team still need to add talent. Kiel won't hide all the warts on this years team.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #7
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Mobility and durability would also be factors. Finding out who is your QB going forward between Trail and Moore isn't a bad thing. My sense is we can get to the same Bowl we did under Kiel as we will under either Trail or Moore. We are not winning the AAC this year regardless who is under center. The goal is to pick up a bowl pay check. 6 wins and we accomplish that. This team still need to add talent. Kiel won't hide all the warts on this years team.
I don't get this viewpoint of whoever is in there it will probably turn out the same. You start your best players at each position (if available to play). The QB is probably the most important position on the field...that is the one position the coach has to get right out of all of them. That decision (more than any other positional decision) could easily affect which bowl we can reach.

That being said...I'm not sure we will see Gunner this year for other reasons
Old 09-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #8
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't get this viewpoint of whoever is in there it will probably turn out the same. You start your best players at each position (if available to play). The QB is probably the most important position on the field...that is the one position the coach has to get right out of all of them. That decision (more than any other positional decision) could easily affect which bowl we can reach.

That being said...I'm not sure we will see Gunner this year for other reasons
That is my point. I don't think there is much difference in the level of talent between the three candidates. Factoring in talent, mobility, leadership, durability and other attributes. I don't any of them have the talent to overcome the lack of talent around them. The QB's are not talented enough to hide the warts. I guess what I'm saying is we will get to 6 wins and not much else whichever one we play. JMO
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
That is my point. I don't think there is much difference in the level of talent between the three candidates. Factoring in talent, mobility, leadership, durability and other attributes. I don't any of them have the talent to overcome the lack of talent around them. The QB's are not talented enough to hide the warts. I guess what I'm saying is we will get to 6 wins and not much else whichever one we play. JMO
Agreed. Somehow Kiel has been given a God-like status on this board. Not sure how or why that has happened, but I don't think starting him would do anything special for us.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #10
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats Sports View Post
I am and was a Gunner supporter, but it has reached a point in the season where the team and coaches just need to move on with the younger QBs. I would not have done that, but I am not in the know. It is hard to understand, but a decision was made. If we see Kiel now, it will really be confusing. We'll have to wait to next year to see Kiel.
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote