Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 07-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #131
Doogle

Doogle will become famous soon enough
It's kind of amusing, living in Houston and catching their side of it. UT President says they'd support UH, Governor Abbott says expansion is a "non-starter" unless Houston is in. Suddenly, they're a lead pipe cinch. It's like nothing except the last 8 months matters down here. One very good football season and a semi decent basketball season, along with UT backing and a self-serving tweet by the Texas governor is apparently all it takes.

Having watched this like we all have for the past 5 years instead of just the last year, I'd be shocked if UC doesn't get in under either the 2 or 4 team expansion. They've been at the PR game the longest and have made the best long term impression. They check off every single box on the requirement list, not the least of which is the eastern expansion/travel partner that West Virginia sorely needs. And plenty of financial backing.

I've nothing against Houston and think they could get in under the right circumstances. But they're not looking at things logicially. Houston adds nothing to that conference other than proximity. The B12 already owns the Houston TV market. Academically, they're a dumpster fire. And so on.

My semi-educated guess would be UC number 1, BYU (if they concede certain points) and Memphis tied for 2, perhaps Houston after that.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #132
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Apparently Texas is advocating for Houston because they will give up resistance Texas building a UT-Houston branch campus. We're not gonna make it if they stick with just 2 invites!
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #133
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
It's kind of amusing, living in Houston and catching their side of it. UT President says they'd support UH, Governor Abbott says expansion is a "non-starter" unless Houston is in. Suddenly, they're a lead pipe cinch. It's like nothing except the last 8 months matters down here. One very good football season and a semi decent basketball season, along with UT backing and a self-serving tweet by the Texas governor is apparently all it takes.

Having watched this like we all have for the past 5 years instead of just the last year, I'd be shocked if UC doesn't get in under either the 2 or 4 team expansion. They've been at the PR game the longest and have made the best long term impression. They check off every single box on the requirement list, not the least of which is the eastern expansion/travel partner that West Virginia sorely needs. And plenty of financial backing.

I've nothing against Houston and think they could get in under the right circumstances. But they're not looking at things logicially. Houston adds nothing to that conference other than proximity. The B12 already owns the Houston TV market. Academically, they're a dumpster fire. And so on.

My semi-educated guess would be UC number 1, BYU (if they concede certain points) and Memphis tied for 2, perhaps Houston after that.
Great post and thanks for your insight. You basically confirmed what I have been thinking all week. Houston makes no sense to me whatsoever.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #134
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Apparently Texas is advocating for Houston because they will give up resistance Texas building a UT-Houston branch campus. We're not gonna make it if they stick with just 2 invites!
Houston won't get in if they stick with 2 invites. Houston is only getting in if trading happens as is rumored to be going on right now. It only takes 3 teams to block another team getting in. If you don't think WVU, OU and Kansas (at the very least) are functioning as a team right now, I don't know what to tell you. They will concede Houston but only if Texas concedes on what they want. That is why 2 teams is the least likely scenario. It's going to be 4 or none.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #135
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Colerain's top recruit just committed to Ohio State. Did UC even stand a chance? SMH. Will I have to become a Buckeye fan if Tubberboy remains as HC?
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #136
Cartel

Cartel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Colerain's top recruit just committed to Ohio State. Did UC even stand a chance? SMH. Will I have to become a Buckeye fan if Tubberboy remains as HC?
If keeping Tommy T means you take your drivel to the buckeye boards then I am all for it.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #137
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
I think everyone on this site should let NTS know how they feel about moving on to a Buckeye site. you will be missed:
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #138
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bye.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #139
prancer

prancer is on a distinguished road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTaMp5txXI
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #140
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08