Bearcats by 5-8 points 2 22.22%
Bearcats by 9+ points 4 44.44%
Mustangs win 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
SMU Part III (AAC Tournament Quarterfinals)

Friday, March 15th, 2019
7:00 PM
FedExForum
ESPNU

#10 seed SMU (15-16, 6-12 AAC, NET #103) advanced to the quarterfinals of the AAC Tournament after defeating #7 seed Tulsa by a score of 74-65 Thursday evening.

SMU was boosted by some hot first half shooting that produced 47 points and the overall play of 2nd team All-AAC guard Jahmal McMurray who scored 27 points to go with 5 assists on the night.

SMU only played 7 players, but among those was senior Jarrey Foster who featured in his 4th consecutive game since returning from injury. He contributed 10 points and 6 rebounds.

6 SMU players played at least 24 minutes, and 4 of those players played 33+ minutes. Hopefully fatigue will play a factor tomorrow for a team that has shot 52% from the field and 41% from 3 over its past two games.

It will take nothing less than an A effort to win in my opinion.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Friday, March 15th, 2019
FedExForum
ESPNU

#10 seed SMU (15-16, 6-12 AAC, NET #103) advanced to the quarterfinals of the AAC Tournament after defeating #7 seed Tulsa by a score of 74-65 Thursday evening.

SMU was boosted by some hot first half shooting that produced 47 points and the overall play of 2nd team All-AAC guard Jahmal McMurray who scored 27 points to go with 5 assists on the night.

SMU only played 7 players, but among those was senior Jarrey Foster who featured in his 4th consecutive game since returning from injury. He contributed 10 points and 6 rebounds.

6 SMU players played at least 24 minutes, and 4 of those players played 33+ minutes. Hopefully fatigue will play a factor tomorrow for a team that has shot 52% from the field and 41% from 3 over its past two games.

Agree, great update. Thank you. Do not over look this game
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:10 AM   #3
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

-7.5 for early lines.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
If SMU was not still on sanctions this would be a top 4 team in this conference. Jamal Mcmurray is a tremendous player and that team goes as he does. Hopefully the extra couple days off helped the cats rest and heel up. I think from a mental stand point this team needs to win this game convincingly, not shoot 26% and win in the last seconds of the game or potentially lose. I don't really think winning the AAC tourney effects the seed line since we are the last conference championship game before they release the bracket, so the bracket will essentially already be made.( I think we will get a 6 or 7 seed). But from a mental and confidence standpoint Id like to beat SMU by 15+, get some confidence going which I think this team may be lacking a little bit right now after getting stomped by Houston and losing late to UCF.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
Friday, March 15th, 2019
FedExForum
ESPNU

I was unable to watch much of the conference tourney games yesterday. How was the officiating? Usually in the tournaments the officiating gets a little tighter and they don't allow as much physicality?
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I was unable to watch much of the conference tourney games yesterday. How was the officiating? Usually in the tournaments the officiating gets a little tighter and they don't allow as much physicality?
I only followed the game through gamecast and was only going to put it on if the score got close in the 2nd half.

SMU had a pretty comfortable lead from start to finish so I didn't end up watching at all.

SMU and Tulsa are actually the two best teams in the conference at not fouling so the 32 total fouls called yesterday was about as average as a game could get expect for two teams that have averaged 16 fouls/game during AAC play.

On the other hand, because SMU is so perimeter oriented, they are the worst in the conference at drawing fouls. With that in mind, hopefully we can keep our best line-ups on the floor for as long as we need to tonight.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
Nati lite

Nati lite is on a distinguished road
We must shut down McMurray, but he has torn us up even when he was at USF. With that said, if we don't shut him down we must rebound and hit open shots. We must win for confidence and get some momentum heading into the NCAA tournament.
Nati lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
We have been in close games with 3/4ths of the game played against virtually every team in this conference with the exception of Tulane. Our margin for error is pretty slim all the way down to SMU who only finished above ECU and Tulane and now has Foster back.

We have managed to win our share somehow but once again we have done more with less talent than most teams do. As always...credit to coach for getting us to this point. Cumberland is going to need some help the rest of the way.

We don't have the defense we had last year so we are going to have to put some points on the board. If our plan is to ISO Cumberland for 50% of the game I don't like our chances. We have to get some other guys involved and they have to get the job done. They haven't been doing that lately. My fear is that Cronin will use the same strategy that got us here and teams with a little more scoring talent will find the energy to match our effort because of the stakes involved.

When it comes down to lose or go home...teams that haven't played with the same amount of intensity are going to step it up on D and the boards. Historically this is when we struggle because we don't have the fire power to match up when that happens. WE HAVE TO HIT SHOTS!! It's time to rise to the occasion and play better than we have been. Do that or go home early.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
i imagine the officiating is and will be extremely awful in the whole tournament before the sunday finale.

for as much as people like to gripe about "AAC" refs, our premier games typically get a good amount of highly visible refs from "better" primary conferences like the ACC and Big 10, especially when they play on a dumb day like thursday or sunday.

when everyone else is having conference tournaments, though, those guys will all be occupied, and we'll get the primary AAC dorks. case in point - yesterday's SMU game (anthony jordan, randy heimerman, sean casady) or yesterday's tulane game (olandis poole, jose carrion, keith patterson), which are the only 2 i feel like checking.

aside from carrion, who i recognize for being particularly awful, who the hell are these guys? it's going to be a rough ride.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #10
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
I'm very nervous for this game. While we got a great draw...SMU seems to be a team that can give us fits...driving to the basket.

I hope the Bearcats come out to play and some 3's actually fall.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote