Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who is exceeding your expectations the most?
Cumberland 6 16.67%
Williams 18 50.00%
Brooks 5 13.89%
Jenifer 7 19.44%
Scott 0 0%
Broome 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #41
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Couldn't agree with this more. We all hoped Cumberland would be the Alpha but to hope and assume is one thing, to see actual results is another. He is truly going above and beyond this season.

I agree that some of these guys have leveled off. You see some flashes from the three role players you mention and others on the team but nothing compared to Cumberland. Williams quietly had a nice game on Sunday. Quietly besides his dunk LOL. Would love to see him knock down a few threes during this last stretch of games.

The one that is really stepping up and is playing more like we all thought he would be/hitting more shots is Cane. We need him to keep performing. His 3 point % is slowly climbing. I think it's too late to really fix his 3 pt percentage but hopefully he will get to 30% or so. I just hope he continues to score and give us the spark we need off the bench.
Cane can really be the X-factor. When Cumberland is out of the game we are going to need Williams and Cane to be on the court. Any time Cumberland struggles from here on out...we will need to lean on Broome.

Unfortunately for Broome his minutes rely heavily on Cumberland and as a team right now obviously we need Cumberland. When Williams is out...it's not the same thing because Jenifer can play with Cumberland as he is a great outlet for the kick out 3. Williams does not pass the ball so Jenifer is not needed as much when Cumberland is out and it's hard to play Jenifer and Broome together.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #42
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
After Cumberland who would be the player that would be the next most important to keep on the floor?

Williams
Jenifer
Brooks
Scott

I am starting to think more and more Brooks could be that guy.

Box plus minus...which is not a perfect way to look at it (wish I had true plus minus)

Cumberland 9.1
Brooks 6.7
Williams 6.1
Scott 5.6
Jenifer 5.2

I don't want to leave out Cane because I think he is going to be very important down the stretch but his BPM is 2.5 right now. Again...the stat is not the best measure

Value over replacement on Torvik (maybe a better assessment than BPM)

Cumberland 4.6
Jenifer 3.4
Brooks 2.3
Williams 2.3
Scott 2.2
Broome 2.0
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #43
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
After Cumberland who would be the player that would be the next most important to keep on the floor?

Williams
Jenifer
Brooks
Scott

I am starting to think more and more Brooks could be that guy.

Box plus minus...which is not a perfect way to look at it (wish I had true plus minus)

Cumberland 9.1
Brooks 6.7
Williams 6.1
Scott 5.6
Jenifer 5.2

I don't want to leave out Cane because I think he is going to be very important down the stretch but his BPM is 2.5 right now. Again...the stat is not the best measure

Value over replacement on Torvik (maybe a better assessment than BPM)

Cumberland 4.6
Jenifer 3.4
Brooks 2.3
Williams 2.3
Scott 2.2
Broome 2.0
Brooks is a huge part of the defense, gets on the glass, and despite his limitations is not a terrible offensive player, even if it is frustrating to watch him squiff too many opportunities around the basket.

The bigger key with Brooks, compared to Williams/Jenifer/Broome/Scott, is that his potential replacements are so much worse. Nsoseme has been a bit of a train wreck, and Diarra has a long way to go. They can play small with Scott at C, but then they have no rim protection.

One issue I have with VORP, at the college level, is that a college team does not have access to replacement-level talent. If an NBA team has a guy below replacement level, they can theoretically just cut him loose and get someone from the G-league, or perhaps work a trade. In college, if your two backup centers are sub-"replacement level", you cannot actually replace them, at least not in-season.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote