Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #311
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Sure. All great points as usual. However, I have started to lean towards the side of something Cincrulz11 has stated. The defensive system can work with many different types of players and not just the athletes. I look at VA as an example. They haven't ranked outside the top 7 in defense per T-rank in 6 years. We are typically in the top 10-20. Even when we focus on D we still aren't the elite of the elite. VA has some basketball players which may not be considered ultra athletes...but they continue to get the job done on D at an elite level.

Virginia often has elite players. Texas Tech is a good example of what some lower recruited guys can do and when I watch them not all of their guys scream athletic to me.

Our defense last year was dominant though (2018). One of the best to do it. I would say 3 of them weren't great athletically PG spot, Cumberland, Kyle Washington.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #312
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The defensive system can work with many different types of players and not just the athletes. I look at VA as an example. They haven't ranked outside the top 7 in defense per T-rank in 6 years. We are typically in the top 10-20. Even when we focus on D we still aren't the elite of the elite. VA has some basketball players which may not be considered ultra athletes...but they continue to get the job done on D at an elite level.
I agree to an extent, but Virginia has had great players, even if they aren't elite athletes. Malcolm Brogdon and Joe Harris are each averaging 13+ pts in the NBA. Justin Anderson is also in the NBA.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #313
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Virginia often has elite players. Texas Tech is a good example of what some lower recruited guys can do and when I watch them not all of their guys scream athletic to me.

Our defense last year was dominant though (2018). One of the best to do it. I would say 3 of them weren't great athletically PG spot, Cumberland, Kyle Washington.
Yah...Clark and Evans really helped out there. But both can play on offense too. Those are hard to get I will admit.

The big thing for me was not their athleticism which was awesome...but their understanding of the scheme. They were rarely out of position. They didn't foul 3 point shooters. They made smart plays. etc etc.

That year was by far our best defense and it's not even close. And to your point we had 3 guys who were not athletes so to speak. We had to hide KWash at times and even went offense/defense subs at end of games with Brooks, Cumberland is not by any means a high flyer, and Jenifer very undersized. It worked extremely well without an all star athletic bunch. Evans and Clark held down the fort...but that is only 2 out of 5 positions.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #314
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I agree to an extent, but Virginia has had great players, even if they aren't elite athletes. Malcolm Brogdon and Joe Harris are each averaging 13+ pts in the NBA. Justin Anderson is also in the NBA.
That is my point. Great players that aren't elite athletes. Get more of those. We can work them into the system and maybe even get better on D.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #315
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
That is my point. Great players that aren't elite athletes. Get more of those. We can work them into the system and maybe even get better on D.

they aren't coming here though. the guys he listed were top 100 guys. virginia's 2016 class had 4 top 100 guys in it.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #316
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would definitely like to get more of those players. My point is that you want better players, not just different style players. We all want better players, but how do we do that? Switching skillsets with the same quality players probably isn't going to work out.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #317
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
they aren't coming here though. the guys he listed were top 100 guys. virginia's 2016 class had 4 top 100 guys in it.
That's fine and I get that. So get top 150 guys who can put the ball in the hoop. top 200 I don't care. Just as long as they can put the ball in the hoop or dribble without bouncing it off their leg. Then work them into the system. The system is what works...not the athleticism. I understand we can't get it all....those are players every coach in the NCAA is after. Let's just add some scoring pop....even in the transfer market.

What is keeping us from adding the grad transfer that can score? A couple of butt hurt bench players? Sorry...you had your chance to impress and you didn't.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #318
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I would definitely like to get more of those players. My point is that you want better players, not just different style players. We all want better players, but how do we do that? Switching skillsets with the same quality players probably isn't going to work out.
It may not work but I don't think we have given it a full effort yet. That is what I would like to see.

As has been mentioned...our best defensive year ever had Washington, Cumberland, and Jenifer on the starting 5. None of them were defensive guys. Two of them could score and one was mainly a facilitator who could shoot okay at the time. Best. Defense. Ever. Under Cronin
Old 04-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #319
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
he probably had 1-2 votes right? i wonder who they were and if it was guys he recruited and almost came here.

the list of coaches guys dont want to play for is guys that act like mick on the court. Huggins/Izzo/Martin are those tough love guys that scream a lot but seem really close to their players, I think mick falls into a category like them although Mick probably doesn't get as much exposure as they do.

Lolol way to down play the poll to fit your narrative

Mick’s players like him, they rarely transfer

Huggins just lost his whole damn team after losing teddy Allen last year
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #320
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Lolol way to down play the poll to fit your narrative

Mick’s players like him, they rarely transfer

Huggins just lost his whole damn team after losing teddy Allen last year

some guys like to play for a coach like that, thats how izzo ends up on both lists.

huggins is an old fat drunk.