Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #421
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I don't really want to hop on the emotional roller coaster here, but why do you keep saying this? Bowling Green is 97 in Kenpom. We're five games into the season. Who knows where they will end up. East Carolina was 264 last year. Lumping those two teams together right now is stupid.

The only thing that really matters is quadrants. I really doubt Bowling Green will be a Q4 loss.

I'm pretty disappointed that we didn't inbound to Jaevin at the end, but let's try to have a little bit of patience. We're not running a "mid-major" offense. Plenty of high-major and NBA teams run the same thing. We don't have to block shots to have an effective defense. The complaint against Cronin was always that he had a low ceiling despite his high floor. We have no idea what kind of ceiling to expect from Brannen, but we're sitting here arguing about how the floor has dropped after five games. Let's see what happens.

Our offense is 210 in the country.

Against any team with a pulse defensively, it falls apart.

Like.. the idea around John's seems to be that we run the same motions 2 or 3 times in a possession and the player then has 2 or 3 reads he can make.. Like the Big can roll to the basket or set a screen. Or do both.

And its predicated on the idea that the defense will miss a rotation and they will leave someone open or we have a back door cut.

The problem is... OSU didn't make those kinda mistakes, either did Illinois St really.

This offense will look great against bad teams and awful against good teams. Add in that, its a system that has zero value for a PG since the ball is never in his hands. So it takes the play makers away.

I just don't think the offense looks good at all.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #422
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
before the they game, they were 100.
My point was that lumping a 97 team together with a 264 team is stupid, and your response is that they were actually 100 and not 97. Great.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #423
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
My point was that lumping a 97 team together with a 264 team is stupid, and your response is that they were actually 100 and not 97. Great.
If you want me to lump it in with 100-150, it still doesn’t matter. Mick lost one of the games in 4 years.

Ecu was an anomaly is my point.

The worst team mick lost outside of ECU was #86 temple. And that was the first year of that 4 year window I started counting in.

Micks worse losses In the last 4 years:
#247 Ecu 2019
#86 Temple 2016
#68 UCF 2017
#25 Nevada 2018

My point is... mick rarely loses to teams ranked 90 or worse, he’s done it once in 4 years. So saying that mick probably would have won this game is a very very highly likely.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #424
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Like.. the idea around John's seems to be that we run the same motions 2 or 3 times in a possession and the player then has 2 or 3 reads he can make.. Like the Big can roll to the basket or set a screen. Or do both.

And its predicated on the idea that the defense will miss a rotation and they will leave someone open or we have a back door cut.

The problem is... OSU didn't make those kinda mistakes, either did Illinois St really.

This offense will look great against bad teams and awful against good teams. Add in that, its a system that has zero value for a PG since the ball is never in his hands. So it takes the play makers away.

We are terrible right now. You can look at all the metrics in the world And dissect all the plays and it’s not going to be good. I’ll save you the time. We are awful right now. The hope is it gets better.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #425
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

This is a very simplistic explanation of the offense. Mistakes are not required for a player to make a drive to the hole. And the Cumberlands can launch a 3 ball at any time whether someone missed a rotation or not.

I can agree the design is to create the mistake if we can get it. But CJB has also said the ball is still not moving at the pace he wants it to. He wants faster decisions (and ball movement) so the D makes more mistakes. The problem right now is we haven't had enough time to understand how to make those quick decisions without thinking too much or too little. Leading to either turnovers when we go too fast or the defense recovering when we go too slow.

It's like trying to figure out Cronin's defense. Sometimes things happen very quickly and not all players could react that fast every time. In general it takes a couple years to be comfortable with it.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #426
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
We are terrible right now. You can look at all the metrics in the world And dissect all the plays and it’s not going to be good. I’ll save you the time. We are awful right now. The hope is it gets better.
You can say that again! Obviously after two bad games we aren't going to be looking very good in metrics etc. Time to chill and watch a few more games to see just what we have (or don't have).
Old 11-25-2019, 04:13 PM   #427
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I'd be okay starting Jaevin at this point (and was before the season started...lol) and right now the player to sub from the bench would be McNeal.

As JHub has pointed out...we don't really need a PG outside of bringing the ball up the court in a press. If we can get by without one...then we sure could use Jaevin playing about 30+ minutes. I would imagine Jarron could handle the PG duties.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #428
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Jarron Cumberland officially ruled out tonight.... welp the saga continues
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #429
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Jarron Cumberland officially ruled out tonight.... welp the saga continues

he's injured. brannen said last night jarron would have to get treatment to see if he was going to be available today.

the injury sounds worse than they were ever really leading on.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #430
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
UC - 58 adjusted due to Jarron’s injury.
Valpo - 67

We aren’t a good basketball team per the stats below(the stats are bad). Any win is a blessing right now and will be decided by effort and desire to win. Valpo is better then us in all categories and offensive rebound better than us. We have both primarily played poor competition.

TO/game - 16
FT% - 62%
A/TO ratio = .85 to 1
3P% - 28%
OR/game - 10
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote