Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #41
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
What he did with this years team was one of the best coaching jobs in the country
Agree, but he got exposed in the Iowa game a little bit. Why not go straight 2-3 to protect brooks. Wasn’t like the matchup was working so well you couldn’t change it. Or attack the press. We never put someone in the middle of it
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #42
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Did we change anything? I could be wrong but it looked like we kept doing the same thing the whole game.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #43
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Weren’t we picked preseason 2nd or 3rd in the aac? So he achieved what was expected.... not over achieved.

we were picked 2nd. im not really sure where all this talk about us greatly exceeding expectations comes from.

we played much better than we thought we would through december, but then it turns out the teams we beat weren't as good as we thought they were going to be.

the team really didn't play well at all after the start of February outside of that tournament championship game vs houston.

at the end of the day we sit at 32 on kenpom right now but we have the highest luck factor we've ever had. i would say we hit the top range of expectations for the team (make the tournament, likely win no tournament games) but we definitely didn't greatly exceed them.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #44
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Make some paragraphs and try again. I feel like you may have said something grand but couldn't make it past the 3rd line.
I can say it in one line, Mick is the personification of The Peter Principle in college coaching.
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #45
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profchaos102 View Post
Why hold this year’s team accountable for last year’s result? They simply didn’t have the talent this year to make a run. Let’s be real, in October if we said hey we made the tournament as a 7 seed our reaction would be “excellent year.” What changed? We simply didn’t have the horses this season.
Agree, just change the word horses to shooters.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #46
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Let’s be real. We had the horses to beat Iowa.
We had the athletes just not the shooters
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #47
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
The track team has many athletes but I doubt they could win many basketball games.
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #48
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
I’ve been banging the “get shooters” drum forever but If you don’t have the shooters, don’t get in a shooting contest. Speed the game up. Beat the press. Get lay ups. Don’t slow the game down. I agree, our players weren’t great. Still could have beat Iowa
Old 03-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #49
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I’ve been banging the “get shooters” drum forever but If you don’t have the shooters, don’t get in a shooting contest. Speed the game up. Beat the press. Get lay ups. Don’t slow the game down. I agree, our players weren’t great. Still could have beat Iowa
People are banging the drum to the point where they don't realize they are banging the wrong drum. Just keep banging.

We had two of the 5 best three point shooters in the American and Broome was over 40% for the latter half of the season.

The biggest issue we had was lack of driving threats. Besides Cumberland we had no one who could regularly take their man off the bounce or finish at the basket. Iowa exposed that with their press, we'd break it and then be unable to take advantage - because no one besides Cumberland was a finisher off the drive.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #50
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
People are banging the drum to the point where they don't realize they are banging the wrong drum. Just keep banging.

We had two of the 5 best three point shooters in the American and Broome was over 40% for the latter half of the season.

The biggest issue we had was lack of driving threats. Besides Cumberland we had no one who could regularly take their man off the bounce or finish at the basket. Iowa exposed that with their press, we'd break it and then be unable to take advantage - because no one besides Cumberland was a finisher off the drive.
I disagree, I think mick didn’t want to speed the game up. Thats been his style for years. That’s why they didn’t expose the press. They could have easily thrown over the top or put a guy in the middle to have a 3 on 2 break.