waterhead is on a distinguished road
Eason committing is a big deal!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #142
HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
He's not qualified bc of his resume. Not enough work put in. What he did at NKU didn't impress me to be honest no top 50 wins, NCAA blowouts I mean, if that's what you guys want. At least Huggins had personality, at least Cronin had ties and experience under two hall of famers. N I will never understand how a guy who played point guard in the NBA and also played with hall of famers made all-star teams at basketballs highest peak... Also coached at the highest peak isn't qualified but John brannen is... Man
His resume does say he's qualified. He was an assistant for many years at this level. He took nku in their first four years in d1 to NCAA twice. Won the regular season or conference tourney three out of four years both once. He grinded his way up like everyone else. He earned his opportunity and deserves a fan base to support him. I don't recall anyone on here saying Nick wasn't qualified. UC may have felt that way I don't know but if Nick was the coach I'd be thrilled and, give him the same time all coaches should be afforded. He's not Brannen is, he will prove himself worthy no need to worry. Don't be mad at Brannen cause they didn't hire Nick, he didn't hire himself.
HongKongPhooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:17 PM   #143
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats92 View Post
Brannen has proven that Cronin got lazy and complacent and stopped caring about the program
I disagree with everything joerunner is saying, but not exactly sure where this take comes from. He had one of the best Bearcat teams ever a couple years ago. And if he would have stayed it certainly wouldn’t have been a down year this season. Mick Cronin built an excellent system, developed a fair amount of players and was at the very least consistent in putting us in good position to win conference championships and a tournament bid. We had a great chance to make some noise before that debacle against Nevada, that could have changed a lot of people’s opinions. Still believe if he gets the chance he could have some real success at UCLA.
I actually like Brannen, I think he’s going to be a better recruiter than Mick, and with a better payroll than NKU he has the mindset to bring the right guys in. He has in my opinion left a lot to be desired in game coaching. I know he has a game plan, but his adjustments have been sort of lacking. I don’t think we are in bad hands, but he’s definitely still got a lot to prove
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:20 AM   #144
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Look, I'm not about to throw a guy under the bus that's done nothing but produce since he got here. Nothing in that post suggests injuries being a non factor. What I was saying tho is that This whole jarron is injuried thing is just a good way to mask other issues we may not be privey to. I just don't think he's that hurt. But yes I can read my own posts, and a lot of your dumb ones as well
This guy calling other people dumb after not making a bit of sense. Classic.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #145
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Iowa basketball bores me. Fredrick's I mean ok... Whatever he scored on us but he still wasn't nothing impressive I see why he wasn't recruited here, all he could do is shoot
Iowa basketball bores you? They have the best offense in the country. Let me guess, you would rather have Ellie and Trevor Moore? Another gem from this guy.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:28 AM   #146
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
He's not qualified bc of his resume. Not enough work put in. What he did at NKU didn't impress me to be honest no top 50 wins, NCAA blowouts I mean, if that's what you guys want. At least Huggins had personality, at least Cronin had ties and experience under two hall of famers. N I will never understand how a guy who played point guard in the NBA and also played with hall of famers made all-star teams at basketballs highest peak... Also coached at the highest peak isn't qualified but John brannen is... Man
Huggins was qualified because he had personality. The takes keep getting better.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #147
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I disagree with everything joerunner is saying, but not exactly sure where this take comes from. He had one of the best Bearcat teams ever a couple years ago. And if he would have stayed it certainly wouldn’t have been a down year this season. Mick Cronin built an excellent system, developed a fair amount of players and was at the very least consistent in putting us in good position to win conference championships and a tournament bid. We had a great chance to make some noise before that debacle against Nevada, that could have changed a lot of people’s opinions. Still believe if he gets the chance he could have some real success at UCLA.
I actually like Brannen, I think he’s going to be a better recruiter than Mick, and with a better payroll than NKU he has the mindset to bring the right guys in. He has in my opinion left a lot to be desired in game coaching. I know he has a game plan, but his adjustments have been sort of lacking. I don’t think we are in bad hands, but he’s definitely still got a lot to prove
I really don't know what happened with Cronin's recruiting. The guy was known for his recruiting when he was brought back to Cincy. But I wouldn't call it lazy for sure. I think it was a combination of a off putting personality and more importantly, a style that top prospects don't want to play in. You can only fake it so many times and recruits were catching on that their style of play was a grind it out defensive style. His last few years recruiting wise were dreadful, it's really tough to argue that. They may not have had a down season if Cronin was here, but it wouldn't have been that good either especially with this tough OOC early schedule. Unfortunately Brannen has to deal with the poor recruiting that has been going on over the past couple years.

Mick had every opportunity to prove doubters wrong in 2018. The story over and over was that he couldn't get out of the second round, yet he had his best team ever in a bracket where everything fell right. Yet he had a monumental collapse that will go down in the history books. Had he made a run to the final four things would be different, but he didn't and proved the doubters to be correct.

Who knows at UCLA. He has talent this year and isn't doing anything with it. It'll depend on how he can recruit and how he can manage the personalities. But he doesn't have a lot of time.

I liked Cronin back in the day but am stoked about Brannen. I think he'll get the job done.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #148
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
I really don't know what happened with Cronin's recruiting. The guy was known for his recruiting when he was brought back to Cincy. But I wouldn't call it lazy for sure. I think it was a combination of a off putting personality and more importantly, a style that top prospects don't want to play in. You can only fake it so many times and recruits were catching on that their style of play was a grind it out defensive style. His last few years recruiting wise were dreadful, it's really tough to argue that. They may not have had a down season if Cronin was here, but it wouldn't have been that good either especially with this tough OOC early schedule. Unfortunately Brannen has to deal with the poor recruiting that has been going on over the past couple years.

Mick had every opportunity to prove doubters wrong in 2018. The story over and over was that he couldn't get out of the second round, yet he had his best team ever in a bracket where everything fell right. Yet he had a monumental collapse that will go down in the history books. Had he made a run to the final four things would be different, but he didn't and proved the doubters to be correct.

Who knows at UCLA. He has talent this year and isn't doing anything with it. It'll depend on how he can recruit and how he can manage the personalities. But he doesn't have a lot of time.

I liked Cronin back in the day but am stoked about Brannen. I think he'll get the job done.
This is how I feel. Like someone said early, it was time for cronin to go. For him and the program. The pressure of the tourney was increasing more and more every year and He knew that. Why not go to LA, get paid and see what he could do.

As far as his recruiting, there is no debate it wasn’t great the last couple years. We went from having 1-2 project types to having half our roster being those type of guys. I think he said multiple times he didn’t want to fight for guys that didn’t want to be here. Which is understandable to a point but you kinda need to in order to get those players.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 12-24-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #149
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Take a break from commenting...... horrendous take
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #150
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
imagine going through life like that.
He needs to pay more attention in his 5th grade English class.
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote