Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #61
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
He has win 20 games next year. He’s walking into coaches dream. Empty roster. No excuses
Yep, coaches dream. Limited roster, split fan base, suspect AD. No handicaps at all. I say set the bar at a Final Four or the season's a bust.

And if a major University chooses an incoming coach in any way shape or form based on what a 17/18 kid wants whose never played a game in college, they have already lost. Inmates don't run the asylum.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #62
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Being reported that Chris Lepore will be Director of Basketball Ops. It seems like no other assistant will be coming with Miller.

Unlike Brannen, it seems like Miller is going to try to fill his staff with high major caliber assistants.

Last edited by skyblade; 04-15-2021 at 07:30 PM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #63
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Per Jeff Borzello tweet https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...06301764378625.

If a player has already transferred and is back in the transfer portal, they will need to go through the waiver process to gain immediate eligibility for next season.

So it seems like I am safe from Koval nightmares. Bring Dou back to play center and I will have nothing but good dreams.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #64
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
If a player has already transferred and is back in the transfer portal, they will need to go through the waiver process to gain immediate eligibility for next season.
That's the new rule going forward. The question is if there will be a blanket waiver granted next year due to Covid. I thought I read somewhere that there would be, but I can't find it. Maybe I was confusing it with last season.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:02 PM   #65
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
A small story about a coach.

This is a guy with no ties to UC or the Greater Cincinnati area. At age 28, he got his first head coaching job. It took him a bit of time to figure out his identity, but by his early 30s he was clearly a coach on the rise. He won 20+ games 4 straight seasons with a mid-major that had previously been very bad for some time. He even got them into the NCAA tournament, although he did not win any games there.

In his late 30s, still one of the youngest coaches in college basketball and with zero career NCAA tournament wins, but a passion for the game and a love of defensive pressure, he was hired at UC.

Today he is one of the winningest coaches in NCAA history, and UC's all-time wins leader.

Let's just hope Wes doesn't sleep with any booster's wives or vomit on a cop at a DUI stop.
A couple distinctions - Huggins had coached at Ohio State. The MAC is a very good “mid major” conference. Whatever conference this coach is in is low major.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #66
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Mason is following Miller now FWIW, I know it usually doesn't mean anything.. But Mason has a legit shot to play a lot this year and he would be making a lateral move or a go to a lower level school if he leaves. I think New Mexico and St Louis were his two biggest ones
So we want Miller to be saddled with Brannen players? I don’t think so. Better to have a fresh start so we see what he can do.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:35 PM   #67
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
So we want Miller to be saddled with Brannen players? I don’t think so.
If he wants them, yes. I think some continuity could be beneficial.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:23 AM   #68
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A couple distinctions - Huggins had coached at Ohio State. The MAC is a very good “mid major” conference. Whatever conference this coach is in is low major.

This isn't actually true. Last season the MAC was ranked 13th. The Southern Conference was 14th. There are 31 conferences. The Horizon was 20th.

The Southern Conference had 6 top 150 teams.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #69
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
So far Wes has been impressive. Sitting down with former players and seems to be focused on getting all the players to stay. He will have plenty of spots to fill already so no need to make things more difficult. Two tough bigs, two wings and best available and hold one over would be alright with me.

If we get all players back he can wait on PG and probably doesn't need to worry about the 4 much at the moment. Really it's just 2 positions
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #70
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So we want Miller to be saddled with Brannen players? I don’t think so. Better to have a fresh start so we see what he can do.
Saddled with Brannen Players? I think you are the only person that wouldn't want Tari, Mikey and Mason back, especially on a team where we literally have 3 guys and then a Russian guy who hasn't played a single minute. They have all played together and went to the conference championship game as freshman under a coach who was an idiot. While we are at it lets tell Davenport ,DDJ and MAW to kick rocks too, give us 12 open roster spots in the middle of April and we can get 12 random guys from the portal and see how well they play together. If the 3 of them come back, which isn't even a guarantee that will give us a solid 6 players, then Wes can add another 6-7 guys depending on what Viktor does and that will make the transition MUCH easier instead of 12-13 brand new guys with a new coach.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote