Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #41
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Not all college programs have a long history of elite defense, toughness and rebounding as their calling card. Huggins used to bring in football pads and Cronin had Rehfeldt. And we were pretty elite at what Rehfeldt could help with.

While he was here we were an elite D with 3 star talent and a lot of that is due to monster factory. He didn’t want to leave Cincinnati but who knows how often he was approached
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:46 PM   #42
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
definitely not a huge deal. A S&C is way more about how much emphasis the head coach places in it than the S&C coach themselves. Huggins was a huge believer in the strength program, Cronin was pretty big into it too. Brannen was more about conditioning than strength. Miller I'm not sure but assume places a large emphasis on strength based on their style of play.

I'm guessing no one on here can name another S&C coach not affiliated with UC. And the elite defense was not because of the S&C coach. Sure, may have helped some, but again, it really isn't rocket science.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:25 PM   #43
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Yeah ignore that our teams always seemed wore out come March. That’s not best in business. I’m pretty certain he’s not better than the football team strength coach.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #44
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
definitely not a huge deal. A S&C is way more about how much emphasis the head coach places in it than the S&C coach themselves. Huggins was a huge believer in the strength program, Cronin was pretty big into it too. Brannen was more about conditioning than strength. Miller I'm not sure but assume places a large emphasis on strength based on their style of play.

I'm guessing no one on here can name another S&C coach not affiliated with UC. And the elite defense was not because of the S&C coach. Sure, may have helped some, but again, it really isn't rocket science.
Most of the success is on the coach and players but you take any and every advantage you can get. If not we would have hired CBJ’s staff and called it a day because those positions aren’t important.

My guess is we were begging Mike R to come back with the style Wes wants to play. But it’s a PR move...yah right?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:59 AM   #45
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Would normally have no problem with Oguama commitment. Nothing at all wrong with adding someone like on their own. We need big guys and he was at least decent in the ACC.

BUT... I'm really souring on Wes Miller as this goes on. It seems like he's completely incapable of recruiting anyone who isn't from North Carolina.

We've got 4 guys from UNCG. Now we've got another guy from Wake Forest, which just so happens to be a school where is father is a HUGE booster and has an practice facility with the family's name on it.

Our entire coaching staff has UNCG ties with the exception of Dollar. But even he's another guy from the south.

I would have thought "the best coach in American under 40" would have casted a wider net recruiting wise, and had a bigger network and pipeline to work from. That doesn't appear to be the case at all.

Everything he has done has been done from that region. Maybe we can hope he can build out some connections in the future on the East and West Coast, and of course here in the Midwest. But it looks like he has absolutely none as of right now.

I really thought with the way people were saying he was such a big name in the coaching ranks that he'd pull a couple big(ish) names from the portal. Starters from Top 50 programs. Obviously that hasn't happened.

Last edited by MDW79; 05-13-2021 at 09:01 AM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:11 AM   #46
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
Now give me Quinn Slazinski and lets get to work. Korval and Ody in the post, Slazinski as a streach 4 who can play inside out with Newman, Davenport on the wings
It amazes me such how far this program as fallen. And not just under Miller, or Brannen.

We used to actually want legitimate big time players to come here. I'm not talking about us being Duke or Carolina, or UK. But still a team pulling some top 25 classes and landing high major players.

Now our fans are calling for Quinn Slazinski, who averaged 6 and 3 for for a UL team that didn't even make the tournament.

We're excited about Ody Aguama who played for a terrible Wake Forest team as their 6th or 7th guy.

We talking about a UNCG transfer because he snuck onto the top 150 on ONE recruiting service that no one can seem to figure out why.

This program is MILES from being anywhere close to a top 25 program. Like not even close. And everyone seems to think we're doing just great. It's like we've turned into Xavier from the 80's or early 90's.

Sorry for the rant, this isn't really just directed at you. I just can't believe people are calling for someone like Slazinski. Our brand new coach has failed to land one legitimate starter form the biggest transfer portal ever and we can't even set our sites higher than this turd for the final spot.

It's depressing. The UC basketball that I knew and loved for 30 years appears to be completely dead.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #47
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Just chill and let it play out. You can't land the studs first or the role players and younger guys may not come on board for the quality depth and development we need. We are still going to land a stud from the portal. There is a good chance another spot will open up somehow for a 2nd high quality player TBD.

At that point we will have what we need to be very competitive and still build for the future. It ain't over...the best is likely still to come.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #48
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Just chill and let it play out.
That guy was killing people for saying they didn't want Eric Martin because he had never been a HC.

Now he spends his time bashing Wes Miller, who was actually hired. I don't even read his posts, but i saw his name and your response, so I'm just taking a wild guess.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #49
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
It amazes me such how far this program as fallen. And not just under Miller, or Brannen.

We used to actually want legitimate big time players to come here. I'm not talking about us being Duke or Carolina, or UK. But still a team pulling some top 25 classes and landing high major players.

Now our fans are calling for Quinn Slazinski, who averaged 6 and 3 for for a UL team that didn't even make the tournament.

We're excited about Ody Aguama who played for a terrible Wake Forest team as their 6th or 7th guy.

We talking about a UNCG transfer because he snuck onto the top 150 on ONE recruiting service that no one can seem to figure out why.

This program is MILES from being anywhere close to a top 25 program. Like not even close. And everyone seems to think we're doing just great. It's like we've turned into Xavier from the 80's or early 90's.

Sorry for the rant, this isn't really just directed at you. I just can't believe people are calling for someone like Slazinski. Our brand new coach has failed to land one legitimate starter form the biggest transfer portal ever and we can't even set our sites higher than this turd for the final spot.

It's depressing. The UC basketball that I knew and loved for 30 years appears to be completely dead.
Lol okay, the landscape of college basketball is far different than it was 20/30 years ago, people can't let go of the Huggins era that gave us ONE final 4 and ONE elite 8 and then for the next 12 years Huggins spent his time getting high level guys who also got bounced in the first weekend of the tournament. High rankings doesn't always equate to success especially in the era of the transfer portal. UC doesn't have the mystique is once had when we were the bad boys wearing Jordan and we will never be that again, we are a high mid major in the American Conference. Wes has been the coach for what a month? and he brought with him familiar faces to help build the program that literally had 4 guys on the team and then added a solid big who can help smooth the transition for bigger recruits in the coming classes. Huggins came from Akron and took years before he built the prestige to land high ranked guys. Miller has been here 30 days and you expect him to pull a top 25 class. Unreal

Last edited by cincyalum2014; 05-13-2021 at 09:45 AM.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #50
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Just chill and let it play out. You can't land the studs first or the role players and younger guys may not come on board for the quality depth and development we need. We are still going to land a stud from the portal. There is a good chance another spot will open up somehow for a 2nd high quality player TBD.

At that point we will have what we need to be very competitive and still build for the future. It ain't over...the best is likely still to come.
Couldn't you say this for any team that lands "studs"? That the role players and younger guys may not want to stay on board for depth? Why is this unique to us?

You say we're still going to land one but I find that highly unlikely. I really hope you're right though.