Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
NKU

Wednesday, November 16th, 2022
7:00 PM
Truist Arena
ESPN+

The Bearcats will make their shortest road trip of the season tonight as they make the less than 10-mile journey from Clifton to Highland Heights, KY to face NKU (1-1) for the second time in program history as Division 1 opponents.

The Norse are coming off a 20-win 21/22 season with 4th-year head coach Darren Horn and return 4 starters - 3 of which averaged double-figure scoring.

NKU had a disappointing showing in their only D1 matchup of the season so far - a 79-57 home loss to Kent State. During that game they shot 30% from the field and 19% from 3 while the Kent State shot 54% from both inside and outside the arc.

The Bearcats are 6.5-point favorites on the road.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Let's see what Josh Reed can do.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #3
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Is there any piece of info I've missed on Reed, and why he's not entered a game yet while being dressed but could see run tonight?
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:21 PM   #4
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
Is there any piece of info I've missed on Reed, and why he's not entered a game yet while being dressed but could see run tonight?
From what I heard, he was initially considering taking a redshirt, but with John Newman out for several months with a knee injury/surgery and Daniel Skillings' recent ankle injury, Reed will be needed on the court now since we only have 9 healthy players.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:13 PM   #5
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

With both of our taller guards out, I'm guessing we'll mostly go small with DDJ, MAW, Phinisee sharing the 80 minutes available at the 1/2 spots. That leaves Davenport, Nolley, and Hensley to play the 3/4 and Reed can contribute a little.

I wouldn't mind going bigger though and giving Ody a shot at playing some 4. Then we could play Davenport mostly at 3 and give Nolley some minutes at SG.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:20 PM   #6
Gocats

Gocats is on a distinguished road
ESPN+ is the worst!!!
Gocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:22 AM   #7
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
With both of our taller guards out, I'm guessing we'll mostly go small with DDJ, MAW, Phinisee sharing the 80 minutes available at the 1/2 spots. That leaves Davenport, Nolley, and Hensley to play the 3/4 and Reed can contribute a little.

I wouldn't mind going bigger though and giving Ody a shot at playing some 4. Then we could play Davenport mostly at 3 and give Nolley some minutes at SG.
Our small guards played 74 minutes last night and combined for 13 points. Zero rim conversions and one made free throw between them. Add Nolley and Davenport to that and there is just no threat to attack the basket. This isn't working. I still think we need to try Nolley as a point forward and try to improve rebounding with Ody at the 4.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Is it me, or does our guards ignore Vik on offense. Too too many games so far, that Vik sprints the floor only to be ignored.

I guess that's why the need for a true pg is a must. Vik would be averaging 20+ points possibly. Same could be said for Kalu.

Kalu played with an edge, but no passes.

Hopefully Wes can't wait to truly have his own guys, for fair assessments.

If our Guard/Forwards can not consistently get to the basket,or make plays for others that are obviously open, this may be a long season
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 05:19 PM   #9
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Agree, we're really easy to scout right now. Double DDJ and maybe Nolley. Don't help off of Davenport. Play off MAW and Phinisee.

Newman and Skillings have shown flashes of driving ability. Hopefully Skillings isn't out too long.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:46 PM   #10
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Agree, we're really easy to scout right now. Double DDJ and maybe Nolley. Don't help off of Davenport. Play off MAW and Phinisee.

Newman and Skillings have shown flashes of driving ability. Hopefully Skillings isn't out too long.
If you believe that Nolley is actually who the stats say he is, there's no reason to double him.

He doesn't shoot well off the dribble and doesn't get to the rim. He likes to take bad shots and unlike DDJ, doesn't make the bad shots at a high enough rate that they become good shots. He can get hot, but overall is not going to shoot a good percentage.

Chad and others built him up as being far better than the stats say he is and that he was being held back in Memphis. The first 3 real (D1) games indicate that he is actually who he was at Memphis.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote