Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #111
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
When I say running that motion I mean guys who can shoot, dribble or pass without thinking too much. Dou can knock an open 3. Rap and Eason give you more options.
I agree, but options only matter so much. Being really good at one thing can help a lot as well. Vogt is considered our best offensive big and he don't give many options - he's just really, really good at the one option he does give.

Hopefully Diarra and Vogt have worked on and improve at passing this off-season. If Diarra can continue to shoot very well from 3, improve at passing and finishing around the rim, that's quite a few options in addition to excellent defense. If Diarra is out best 3 point shooting big it will be quite valuable, especially if it's by a significant margin. Vogt's biggest areas to improve are defense and passing.

I guess it comes down to how good each guy is at different skills and how much Brannen values defense and rebounding versus valuing offense. I imagine our best defender/rebounder will be 1. Diarra, 2. Eason, 3. Rap 4. Vogt. But our best offensive big man will probably be Vogt by a significant margin, probably followed by Rap, Diarra than Eason (at least early in he year) - though those three could all be close.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #112
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Through the first week/weekend of college basketball, here's a look at how our upcoming opponents have fared so far:

Lipscomb (12/2)
Lamar (N) 76-73 Win
Tulane (A) 66-68 Loss

Xavier (12/6)
Oakland (H) 101-49 Win
Bradley (H) 51-50 Win
Toledo (H) 76-73 Win

Furman (12/9)
Tusculum (H) 95-62 Win
USC Upstate (H) 91-63 Win

Tennessee (12/12)
*On COVID pause. We are scheduled to be their first game.

South Florida (12/16)
Florida College (H) 94-84 Win
Rhode Island (N) 68-84 Loss
Virginia Tech (N) 58-76 Loss

Georgia 12/19
Florida A&M (H) 85-75 Win
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #113
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
So far very little info is out there on what's going on in practice. I was under the impression that an injury had set back Harvey a little bit. But it sounds like he is back in action and possibly even performing better than MAW (speculative not enough info). I think in the end it will be better for MAW to come off the bench as opposed to Harvey. MAW can essentially back up 3 positions (if need be). He can back up both wing positions and the PG if Saunders isn't fully ready.

I think MAW is a little more predictable (but solid) and Harvey will provide more dynamics to the offense. He also adds some height. I don't think it's optimal going 6'0" PG and 6'3" wing. Obviously I want both MAW and Harvey to do well but I would prefer Harvey win the SG position. Harvey was doing pretty well on D toward end of year. If he can rebound a little better it would help.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #114
waterhead
Senior Moderator

After listening to some pressers from CJB it seems as if (right now) if he had to get the ball to someone to score coming down the stretch it would be Williams and Vogt. That leads me to believe Vogt is clearly in the starter role over Dou at the 5 (not a big surprise). Williams is locked in at 3. I believe Dejulius is locked in at PG.

So the other position outside of SG to iron out would be the 4. I would imagine Rap is the clear leader with Eason looking decent so far (from player comments). it will be interesting to see how many minutes Eason can carve out as a frosh and if Dou will wander over to the 4 very much. Eason obviously has a lot of potential if he can pick up the system quick and minimize the frosh mistakes. Obviously a lineup of Vogt and Rap will have some defensive limits. We also need to figure out how we can rebound the ball best.

We have some pretty interesting rotations to consider at the 4 and 5. We can go perimeter D heavy with Dou and maybe Eason. We can go full offense 5 man motion with Rap and Eason (even Dou). We can go traditional with Vogt and whoever. I could see a lot of subbing here based on game situations. If we are getting abused in any aspect of the game we should have a decent answer for it.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #115
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Happy "Opening Day"!

Hard to imagine that exactly one year ago we were already 6-2.

We were coming off a 82-73 win home win over what we thought was going to be a very good Vermont team (they finished Ken Pom #76).

Prior to that we had played 3 consecutive overtime games (loss to BG, followed by wins against Valpo and UNLV).

Chris McNeal was still our starting PG and we were still in the early stages of figuring out Jarron's relationship with Brannen - which at that moment looked very iffy.

---------------------------------

Moving forward, we are currently 13-point favorites for today's 5:00 pm season opener against Lipscomb.

Through 2 games, they've played an 8-man rotation which has featured 7 returnees from last season's team that finished 16-16 and #247 in Ken Pom. Their leading scorer has been 6-5 wing Romeao Ferguson who is a grad transfer from D2 Belmont Abbey.

Their best overall player is 6-8 center Ahsan Asadullah, who made 1st team A-Sun last season. He led Lipscomb in points, FG%, rebounds, assists, blocks, turnovers, and fouls.

In their opener against Lamar they shot well from deep (10-21 3FG) but abysmal from the foul line (6-17) in a 3-point win. The next day against Tulane, they were cooler from deep (6-20) but made their free throws (16-19) in a 2-point loss.

Hopefully Vogt can win the 1-on-1 match-up against their only legitimate big, and we overwhelm them with our skill and athleticism at both ends of the court with Keith getting his share of easy buckets at the rim.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:40 AM   #116
skyblade
Epic Member

I'm excited to see how this team does. Specific areas/players of interest are virtually all of them, seeing as we have so many new faces.

Vogt - How will he do against Lipscomb's center. Historically speaking Vogt struggles with guys who can match his physicality, will this remain the case and if so, will Diarra or Rap sub in at center. How much (if any) did he improve his defense, rebounding and passing during the off-season. Needs to be better than an elite scorer at the rim who is below average everywhere else on the court.

Rap - How well will he defend and rebound? Especially at the 4, will he even play the 4? Is he going to be willing to go inside and post up on the interior when being guarded by a smaller man? Lipscomb will be a good test, Rap will probably be being guarded by Parker Hazen - who is listed as 6'7" and 201 lb.

Harvey - I believe about a month ago Brannen said Harvey had been struggling with injuries and not practicing fully. Now it seems like Harvey is ready to go. How ready will Harvey be? Can he win the starting SG spot. Do we need him to? MAW is a better shooter, Harvey is a better creator, but with DeJulius and Williams, how many play-makers do we need?

How much will we run? From Cronin every year, to Brannen last year, we have heard off-season promises of a fast-paced up-tempo team. Will this year be the year it happens? If so, then how do the plodding giants of Vogt and Rap (okay Rap is not that plodding, but still relatively slow) fit into a up-tempo team.

How deep are we really? Plenty of people are excited about this teams depth, but I see a team where the first guard and second big off the bench will be a Freshman or Sophomore, plus we will have a Sophomore starting. Are we going to be a good team with good depth? Or a deep but bad team? Will Brannen even go that deep? Plodding Giants + bad depth could easily lead to another year of relatively slow pace and Brannen giving excuses as to why running just wouldn't work this year.

DeJulius - Seems to have the skills. But he is taking a big step, transferring from role player at SG last year to starting PG this year. If he can't handle the role, who can?

Keith - I'm mostly just excited to see play. He has the skills to take over a game. Needs to improve a little bit in all areas of his game over last year, but definitely has all the ability. Also needs to avoid the foul trouble that has gotten him benched frequently in the past.

Diarra - Can he shoot the three without hesitation and still maintain a high percentage? Has his passing improved? He is by far our best defensive big, so if he can be passable on offense he's going to be getting a lot of time. What position will he play? Has he figured out how to play the 4?

That's not even going into all the freshmen who may or may not be making major contributions. Only time will tell the answers to my questions and the time is almost now.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #117
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'm excited to see how this team does. Specific areas/players of interest are virtually all of them, seeing as we have so many new faces.

Vogt - How will he do against Lipscomb's center. Historically speaking Vogt struggles with guys who can match his physicality, will this remain the case and if so, will Diarra or Rap sub in at center. How much (if any) did he improve his defense, rebounding and passing during the off-season. Needs to be better than an elite scorer at the rim who is below average everywhere else on the court.

Rap - How well will he defend and rebound? Especially at the 4, will he even play the 4? Is he going to be willing to go inside and post up on the interior when being guarded by a smaller man? Lipscomb will be a good test, Rap will probably be being guarded by Parker Hazen - who is listed as 6'7" and 201 lb.

Harvey - I believe about a month ago Brannen said Harvey had been struggling with injuries and not practicing fully. Now it seems like Harvey is ready to go. How ready will Harvey be? Can he win the starting SG spot. Do we need him to? MAW is a better shooter, Harvey is a better creator, but with DeJulius and Williams, how many play-makers do we need?

How much will we run? From Cronin every year, to Brannen last year, we have heard off-season promises of a fast-paced up-tempo team. Will this year be the year it happens? If so, then how do the plodding giants of Vogt and Rap (okay Rap is not that plodding, but still relatively slow) fit into a up-tempo team.

How deep are we really? Plenty of people are excited about this teams depth, but I see a team where the first guard and second big off the bench will be a Freshman or Sophomore, plus we will have a Sophomore starting. Are we going to be a good team with good depth? Or a deep but bad team? Will Brannen even go that deep? Plodding Giants + bad depth could easily lead to another year of relatively slow pace and Brannen giving excuses as to why running just wouldn't work this year.

DeJulius - Seems to have the skills. But he is taking a big step, transferring from role player at SG last year to starting PG this year. If he can't handle the role, who can?

Keith - I'm mostly just excited to see play. He has the skills to take over a game. Needs to improve a little bit in all areas of his game over last year, but definitely has all the ability. Also needs to avoid the foul trouble that has gotten him benched frequently in the past.

Diarra - Can he shoot the three without hesitation and still maintain a high percentage? Has his passing improved? He is by far our best defensive big, so if he can be passable on offense he's going to be getting a lot of time. What position will he play? Has he figured out how to play the 4?

That's not even going into all the freshmen who may or may not be making major contributions. Only time will tell the answers to my questions and the time is almost now.
How do you start off ripping Vogt in literally every post lmao. Like I don’t even have to read it anymore.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #118
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Lipscomb took Tulane to the wire, losing by 2 after missing a 3 and put back at the end of the game.

Excited to see how the new pieces look. At this point, I just want the game to happen, a win, and no one testing positive afterwards.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #119
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

I share some of the concerns you have but this seems awfully pessimistic overall rather than looking at more of the positive potential. I guess everyone has their own way of looking at things but I like the middle of the road to positive perspective as a fan. I am not a pie in the sky guy...but definitely not a Debbie Downer either. Cheer up my friend and try to look on the bright side. It may not turn out that way...but there is no harm in it
Old 12-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #120
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
How do you start off ripping Vogt in literally every post lmao. Like I don’t even have to read it anymore.
I was replying to the post just above mine that points out their best player is their center and hoping Vogt can win the matchup. Not like he's the only player I mentioned in the post either.

But if you can't take bad things being said about Vogt you can always mute me.