Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #91
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
total team rebounding. Vogt might not be able to get anything out of his zone, but he keeps his man away. right now after 3 games we are giving up the 2nd lowest % of offensive rebounds in the country

None of the teams we've played are that great at offensive rebounding, but xavier is average and we gave up none.

3 games doesn't mean a whole lot, but our OR% against last year wasn't below 20 for 2 straight games all year. This year its been 8%, 0%, and 20%.

Hopefully its a trend that sticks because we've really struggled with it for a while
I'm not convinced this isn't just a series of coincidences at this point. Tennessee looks like they follow a very Mick like philosophy of defend, rebound and get put-backs. If we hold them under 20% I will start to believe, but until then I will withhold judgment.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #92
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'm not convinced this isn't just a series of coincidences at this point. Tennessee looks like they follow a very Mick like philosophy of defend, rebound and get put-backs. If we hold them under 20% I will start to believe, but until then I will withhold judgment.

I'm not convinced either, but its a trend that didn't happen at all last year. Just getting into the top 150 would be a step in the right direction. We haven't been inside the top 150 since 2013.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #93
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't see how you look back and see Rap having two solid games. He was bad enough in the first two games that Brannen took him out of the starting lineup and stopped playing him at the 4. His defense has been bad every game.

Rap has had two bad games and a terrible one. Thus far it doesn't look like he should be playing at this level.
I think you see the game a little different than most. You want everyone to be these freak athletes and win rock fights, at least that what it seems. Other see players for what they are. Rap is a decent scorer. That’s what he is. There is value in that. Not knocking you but it does seem like you like the mick cronin style of play. Which is fine but not the only way to win
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #94
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
Yeah, sort of...Keith is a decent passer though, and I get this passive/aggressive vibe from Harvey, which may make the current ball handler not look his way. A passive pouter
Is keith a decent passer? Don’t see him pass much.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #95
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Tari was a nice pick up.. The Saunders kid seems like an ok player. The Madsen twins.. it's a little alarming thier hurt and Mia so early in the season I think we were only expecting contributions from Gabe?... I remember watching Gary, Caupain and for example Justin Jenifer when they first got here. I actually thought Justin would contribute immediately but he really didn't get goin until his junior, his sr year was very solid. I get the feeling Tari could come along like those 3 and make improvements along the way. I'm not getting a feel for these other guys like are any of the going to be all league at any point? As of right now I'm saying no on Saunders and the Madsens they may not even get a NBA tryout
After 3 games and maybe 20 minutes of gameplay for Saunders, mason madden being hurt, seeing gabe play for 2 minutes, this guy is ready to say they aren’t that good. Makes sense
Old 12-10-2020, 05:28 PM   #96
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I think you see the game a little different than most. You want everyone to be these freak athletes and win rock fights, at least that what it seems. Other see players for what they are. Rap is a decent scorer. That’s what he is. There is value in that. Not knocking you but it does seem like you like the mick cronin style of play. Which is fine but not the only way to win
I want to see guys contribute more points than they give up. I don't care if that is 2 to 0 or 50 to 48. I know that is hard to judge because you can't just look at just their play, but how they impact those around them.

Rap has a ton of defensive breakdowns, he makes Vogt look like a good defensive center. If Rap were anywhere near as bad on the offensive end as he is on defense, nobody would want to play him. He commits bad fouls, isn't a good rebounder and had a number of mental breakdowns (such as charging the guy who we are letting shoot threes and giving him an easy drive - twice in a period of less than 5 minutes). He would need to be a star on the offensive end to make up for how bad he is on defense and thus far he is not.

I dislike Vogt, but I've still said that he would be reasonable as a backup, he just shouldn't be a starter. Rap has not belonged on the court and has been especially bad at center.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #97
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
After 3 games and maybe 20 minutes of gameplay for Saunders, mason madden being hurt, seeing gabe play for 2 minutes, this guy is ready to say they aren’t that good. Makes sense
I'd like to see Mason play, I predicted early in the year that he may have a better freshman year than Gabe because he is better suited to a 3-and-D role.

Gabe we knew coming in needs to work on his defense and the first game showed that he has a lot of work to do. Doesn't mean he can't be good in the future, but I doubt he will get much playing time this season.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #98
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't see how you look back and see Rap having two solid games. He was bad enough in the first two games that Brannen took him out of the starting lineup and stopped playing him at the 4. His defense has been bad every game.

Rap has had two bad games and a terrible one. Thus far it doesn't look like he should be playing at this level.
So you think 5/9 11pts, 6 rbs is terrible, he’s shooting 54% on the year, avg 5 rbs. His defensive isn’t good but he is certainly a productive enough piece on offense. You act like he’s terrible but Diarra is still playing pretty well..
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #99
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yupp. Too it makes a lot of sense, these guys just don't jump out at me. For some reason I could look at Gary, Kieth, Caupain and be like these guys are going to be solid we can win with them they may even get a sniff at the league. Its something about this saunders kid that just isn't resonating too me I don't knw maybe it's all that blonde hair and spuratic rushed play hes bringing to the table. I mean, Cumberland did have a mohawk but at least he had an attitudish mystic about him, if we were playing pick up 5 just off eye test who would you pick? I just get a silly vibe from dude I never would of recruited these guys. I like fremantle and that other transfer Xavier got tho, you know the one that checked in and immediately knocked down a 3.. Our guys are looking like "the replacements" awkward in regards to past guys we used to recruit as of right now I'm not seeing or feeling a NBA pipeline, I feel like were in a lump with all the other programs now I'm not sure what our identity is as a program right now
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #100
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post
Yeah, sort of...Keith is a decent passer though, and I get this passive/aggressive vibe from Harvey, which may make the current ball handler not look his way. A passive pouter
Yea the Harvey kid I knew he might of been over recruited, theres def milk teeth there and just tender vibes.. I mean he does look capable of contributing just not in a, alpha dog lead the team kind of way. He should just stick to his role, whatever it is and try to get better
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote