Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #21
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Gabe Madsen is the best player in the class imo
He looks like the most skilled. You never know what kind of competition they are playing though. I know Saunders is always playing some of the best teams in the country. Always hard to tell.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:37 AM   #22
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
It's rare that a freshman is good enough to come in and start.

IMO Adams-Woods has shown great progress in a short time. Brannen is right to start him over McNeal and I have no problem with him continuing to start next season. He's definitely a freshman. His decision making and defense will improve, making him even more appealing there. Not sure how high his ceiling is as a shooter, but he's already shown great instincts for just being aggressive and working to score. I love that most about him. I want the PG to have more assists, but you need the courage to drive through the defense first.

If Saunders is actually even better in year one, then I'd say Brannen's recruiting from where he started is truly impressive. But I don't get my hopes up for freshmen performing at the level where we want them to eventually be in year one. It's just setting yourself up for disappointment.

The front court players like Eason...well that's likely happening by default. Diarra is pretty unreliable, but the good news is he has improved this season. There's just a long way to be where we want and Eason might get there sooner. And hopefully we find another grad transfer to plug the gap.

No matter how good the Madsens are, I would never count on them to be starting in year one. I think the jump to college is just really hard to take it all in, and with Harvey and Davenport already gaining experience, they should be on the floor. I expect Harvey to build up some confidence in league play and over the summer the lessons will really sink in.

Yeah, this season isn't going well enough to not start considering future teams. LOL But I'm still cheering!
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:11 AM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Gabe Madsen is the best player in the class imo
My guess is he will be the most prolific scorer of the Brannen recruits (so far). He's a play maker with a lightning quick release on the 3 ball (with accuracy).

I think all 3 can find decent minutes in year one given the overall youth and makeup of the team next year...and even Mason is an additional shooter for heat checks.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #24
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
My guess is he will be the most prolific scorer of the Brannen recruits (so far). He's a play maker with a lightning quick release on the 3 ball (with accuracy).

I think all 3 can find decent minutes in year one given the overall youth and makeup of the team next year...and even Mason is an additional shooter for heat checks.

i was thinking the other day Gabe could be a guy in the running most 3's as a bearcat. a strange thought before he's ever put on a uniform but i'd have to imagine he'll attempt a ton of them over the course of his career here.

this year has obviously been a huge disappointment, but i can't help but be really excited about the young guys we're bringing in.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i was thinking the other day Gabe could be a guy in the running most 3's as a bearcat. a strange thought before he's ever put on a uniform but i'd have to imagine he'll attempt a ton of them over the course of his career here.

this year has obviously been a huge disappointment, but i can't help but be really excited about the young guys we're bringing in.
Agreed...he can catch and shoot but he also has a nice step back and can release the ball very fast at 6'5"-6'6" that will be hard to block. He seems to be able to shoot on the move.

I wonder what we do with MAW. Can you even slide him over to the wing with Harvey and Gabe fighting for that 2nd spot? Is he a good enough ball handler to run the point with Saunders coming in? Will Mason back up Saunders with MAW on wing or will we start with MAW on point and let Saunders back him up? After Keith is gone things open up a bit more.

I've heard people talking about a grad transfer wing...but I'm not sure I see that happening. I would rather grab another 4 and 5 and let the young guys get experience on the wing.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

One other note about some of CJB's recruits is their competitive nature, enthusiasm and in some cases even cockiness.

Jarron has swagger but he's not firing up the rest of the team. I see guys like Saunders and Madsens adding some of that attitude we have been lacking this year. That killer instinct. MAW is confident. Davenport is excitable. I don't really know the demeanor of Eason. We haven't seen much of Harvey. But in general I think we are adding excitement and confidence.

This year's team just hasn't been able to maintain or manufacture the energy required to win the games we need to win.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #27
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Agreed...he can catch and shoot but he also has a nice step back and can release the ball very fast at 6'5"-6'6" that will be hard to block. He seems to be able to shoot on the move.

I wonder what we do with MAW. Can you even slide him over to the wing with Harvey and Gabe fighting for that 2nd spot? Is he a good enough ball handler to run the point with Saunders coming in? Will Mason back up Saunders with MAW on wing or will we start with MAW on point and let Saunders back him up? After Keith is gone things open up a bit more.

I've heard people talking about a grad transfer wing...but I'm not sure I see that happening. I would rather grab another 4 and 5 and let the young guys get experience on the wing.

if we could get a known 3 point shooter i'd take that, but outside of that the last 2 spots probably need to be big men.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #28
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
One other note about some of CJB's recruits is their competitive nature, enthusiasm and in some cases even cockiness.

Jarron has swagger but he's not firing up the rest of the team. I see guys like Saunders and Madsens adding some of that attitude we have been lacking this year. That killer instinct. MAW is confident. Davenport is excitable. I don't really know the demeanor of Eason. We haven't seen much of Harvey. But in general I think we are adding excitement and confidence.

This year's team just hasn't been able to maintain or manufacture the energy required to win the games we need to win.

Eason is a talker. I noticed in a few of his highlights he wasn't shy about telling the guy guarding him what was up. we need to get our swagger back.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #29
Coomer

Coomer is on a distinguished road
I suspect Brannen loves the idea of running two ball handlers out there at the same time in MAW and Saunders, especially given MAW’s three point success so far this season. His length and height will matchup well against most 2’s in the NCAA.

The biggest challenge will be how young next year’s team will be. Big steps needed from returning players, especially Keith, who will finally be needed as a primary go-to guy more than he has been in his first three years.

Something I’m excited about — Vogt took HUGE steps forward physically in his first Summer with the Bearcats. Having an entire offseason come April will be huge in taking his quickness and agility to another level. He could be truly dominant next season.
Coomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coomer View Post
I suspect Brannen loves the idea of running two ball handlers out there at the same time in MAW and Saunders, especially given MAW’s three point success so far this season. His length and height will matchup well against most 2’s in the NCAA.

The biggest challenge will be how young next year’s team will be. Big steps needed from returning players, especially Keith, who will finally be needed as a primary go-to guy more than he has been in his first three years.

Something I’m excited about — Vogt took HUGE steps forward physically in his first Summer with the Bearcats. Having an entire offseason come April will be huge in taking his quickness and agility to another level. He could be truly dominant next season.
Vogt is certainly going to be confident heading into next year! I don't know how much more agile he can get but he better not skip leg day at the gym! I like MAW on the wing too just not sure how the minutes are going to shake out with Madsen(s) and Harvey. I don't know if Vogt and Keith are enough so I agree we will need some guys to step up right away. I guess there will be enough minutes to go around.