Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
The regular season is over, let’s hand out of some grades:

Non conference: C-
Conference play: B
Defense: B (at times it was A level, others it was C- or worse)
Offense: B+
Effort/Heart/toughness: C+ (last 5 min of games : A+,)

Overall: B-

3 losses separated this from being a decent season to an outstanding one.
I'm not saying I disagree with your grades. I think they're more or less fair. But given what you said at the start of conference play we did the best you thought we possibly could. So why don't your end grades reflect that? This is from your post in the conference prediction thread:

"This season is a wash. I guess we could always hope for some conference tourney magic but their are 4 or 5 teams that I’d picked ahead of UC in that tourney.

Just gotta hope next year Is better. It’s all we can do.

I predicted 10-8 In the vote. But I’ll just do it game by game and see what I think hsppens:
UConn: win
@tulane: loss
Tulsa: win
@ucf: win
@memphis: loss
Ecu : win
@temple: loss
Smu: win
Houston: loss
@WSU : loss
@Uconn : loss
Memphis : loss
@ECU : win
UCF : win
WSU : loss
@Houston loss
@south Florida : loss
Temple : win

8-10

So when I do a game by game matchup I come up with 8-10 just because I think Ron hunter is going to give them hell at Tulane, and I don’t think I’ve seen enough from Brannen to say he is going to win a lot of road games.

We need win 13 games just to get to 20 wins. I just have a hard time finding 13 games we should win"

Sounds like Brannen was pretty exceptionally considering what you thought...
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #22
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
I'm not saying I disagree with your grades. I think they're more or less fair. But given what you said at the start of conference play we did the best you thought we possibly could. So why don't your end grades reflect that? This is from your post in the conference prediction thread:

"This season is a wash. I guess we could always hope for some conference tourney magic but their are 4 or 5 teams that I’d picked ahead of UC in that tourney.

Just gotta hope next year Is better. It’s all we can do.

I predicted 10-8 In the vote. But I’ll just do it game by game and see what I think hsppens:
UConn: win
@tulane: loss
Tulsa: win
@ucf: win
@memphis: loss
Ecu : win
@temple: loss
Smu: win
Houston: loss
@WSU : loss
@Uconn : loss
Memphis : loss
@ECU : win
UCF : win
WSU : loss
@Houston loss
@south Florida : loss
Temple : win

8-10

So when I do a game by game matchup I come up with 8-10 just because I think Ron hunter is going to give them hell at Tulane, and I don’t think I’ve seen enough from Brannen to say he is going to win a lot of road games.

We need win 13 games just to get to 20 wins. I just have a hard time finding 13 games we should win"

Sounds like Brannen was pretty exceptionally considering what you thought...

No. Brannen lowered my expectations the floor after that abysmal loss to Colgate. It killed my hopes for the year.

If he finishes with what I predicted, it’s an F or D+ at best.

But he didn’t, the team figured it out and played well for a month and got by for the last 6 weeks:

Which is why my grade of B or B- is absolutely fair. We exceeded my low mid season expectations. But still ultimately had a frustrating season where in my opinion we under achieved.

I know Jarron wasn’t a 100% healthy but that doesn’t get passes for Colgate, bowling green and UCF. Those games burn still and if we’re left out on Sunday, it’s those games that did it. Cincinnati should expect to beat that caliber of team, best player or not.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #23
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Sure boss. Spin it how you want
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #24
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Anyone who hasn’t. Check out the article that berg just put out. It’s free, so I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong. Had some interesting tidbits. One being, our best offensive game of the year was the USF one that Jarron didn’t play in. Many on here have said at times we look better without Jarron. Interesting that some stats back that up. I’m not at all suggesting to not play Jarron. I say play him as much as he can. Just gives hope to the future.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #25
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
No. Brannen lowered my expectations the floor after that abysmal loss to Colgate. It killed my hopes for the year.

If he finishes with what I predicted, it’s an F or D+ at best.

But he didn’t, the team figured it out and played well for a month and got by for the last 6 weeks:

Which is why my grade of B or B- is absolutely fair. We exceeded my low mid season expectations. But still ultimately had a frustrating season where in my opinion we under achieved.

I know Jarron wasn’t a 100% healthy but that doesn’t get passes for Colgate, bowling green and UCF. Those games burn still and if we’re left out on Sunday, it’s those games that did it. Cincinnati should expect to beat that caliber of team, best player or not.
If we make the tourney, will you shut up? That seems like a very important thing in your life. Just hearing that name. You don’t even care about winning since said it’s random.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:51 AM   #26
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
our best offensive game of the year was the USF one that Jarron didn’t play in.
At least according to Torvik, the USF game was our 5th best offensive game by both raw and adjusted efficiency.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:55 AM   #27
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
At least according to Torvik, the USF game was our 5th best offensive game by both raw and adjusted efficiency.
only thing i could find it was the best at was eFG%
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #28
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
only thing i could find it was the best at was eFG%
So I guess it's fair to say it was our best shooting game.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #29
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
If we make the tourney, will you shut up? That seems like a very important thing in your life. Just hearing that name. You don’t even care about winning since said it’s random.
Why do you keep associating me with the Random thing?

I don't recall saying that.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #30
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
What do I need to shut up about?

This whole thing started again because I said unbalanced schedule helped us win a share of the title.

That is a fact. I made no comments. Just stated that helped but also took away a few tier 1/2 opportunities by not playing @tulsa and @SMU.

If we make the tourney in Jarron and Tre's Senior year, then I'll absolutely call this season a success.

Said that from the beginning of the year. That I wanted to make the tourney in year 1, and literally everyone agreed that was a reasonable expectation.

And don't give me the Jarron was hurt crap. because while he was, it was the losses to Colgate, UCF & BGU that did us in. UC should expect to beat those teams with out Jarron. Especially when 2 are at home.

People just hate that the critique is coming from me. Im not saying anything that is out of line. I gave them a good grades for the most part.