Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
We should be a much better defensive and rebounding team next year with bigger and more athletic guards. We really miss players like Evans and Caupain on the glass.

Yeah Iowa could get around our guards like it was nothing. Cane/Jenifer really give you nothing at all on the glass. Surprisingly Keith was pretty bad at the defensive glass and his numbers on the offensive side really dropped in conference play too.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #12
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Yeah Iowa could get around our guards like it was nothing. Cane/Jenifer really give you nothing at all on the glass. Surprisingly Keith was pretty bad at the defensive glass and his numbers on the offensive side really dropped in conference play too.
Keith really struggled in the last part of the season. He really needs to work on his jumpshot this offseason. He's not a good defensive rebounder either, with an 8.9 rate that's barely above Justin and Cane. Last year Evans was at 12 and two years ago Troy was at 14. That's what we need from one of our guards to get back to being decent on the defensive glass.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Let's fire Mick and hire Tony Bennett!
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Let's fire Mick and hire Tony Bennett!
its so weird how they can be so dominant against great teams and then play like this in the last 2 1st rounds.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:54 PM   #15
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I honestly believe our players are not good enough. We rarely have the players good enough to beat good teams. We did last year and blew it. Ellie, tre Scott, jenifer (even though he was pretty good this year).These guys aren’t good enough. He has to recruit better.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 03-22-2019 at 04:37 PM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:01 PM   #16
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I honestly believe our players are not good enough. We early have the players good enough to beat good teams. We did last tear and blew it. Ellie, tre Scott, jenifer (even though he was pretty good this year. These guys aren’t good enough. He has to recruit better.
The coaching isn’t great either but I do think he needs to start with getting multiple top 100-150 guys.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #17
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I honestly believe our players are not good enough. We early have the players good enough to beat good teams. We did last tear and blew it. Ellie, tre Scott, jenifer (even though he was pretty good this year. These guys aren’t good enough. He has to recruit better.
I agree, our talent and style aren’t suited to win a one and done tournament. Recruiting absolutely has to improve or Mick will be out.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #18
Mcginnjw
Epic Member

Mcginnjw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
I'd argue our defense is wrong to. We constantly double the post and give up open threes.

I said before game selection show if we play a team that shoots threes well, I don't like our chances. (And yes.. Most teams in tournament can shoot it well. Duke a rare rare rare outlier)
I agree, the three ball is how you can win this tournament. Without it you really don’t have a chance. The three is the great equalizer...it allows teams a chance to win on any given day. That’s what makes March Madness a really fun playoff for casual sports fans. That’s why your girlfriend who can’t tell you a single basketball players name can potentially win her office bracket pool.

The players he gets and the style he coaches will only win consistently in the regular season and get you AAC conference championships (who cares).

I think Cronin has recruited good shooters but they aren’t interested in coming here. That is a massive problem for Cronin. It is obvious that nobody gives a shit about winning in the regular season or conference titles. If he doesn’t start landing shooters he is done for.
Mcginnjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #19
bearcat1518

bearcat1518 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I honestly believe our players are not good enough. We rarely have the players good enough to beat good teams. We did last year and blew it. Ellie, tre Scott, jenifer (even though he was pretty good this year).These guys aren’t good enough. He has to recruit better.
I don’t disagree. But let’s compare against Iowa - they had 2 guys on their entire roster that were ranked in the top 150 Garza and Meiskamp. Same as us (and if you count Logan and Diarria, as some services did, we’d have 4). Talent difference wasnt the problem today.
bearcat1518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #20
bearcat1518

bearcat1518 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post

I think Cronin has recruited good shooters but they aren’t interested in coming here. That is a massive problem for Cronin. It is obvious that nobody gives a shit about winning in the regular season or conference titles. If he doesn’t start landing shooters he is done for.
Let’s be honest, kids grow up wanting to be like Steph Curry and James Harden - exciting, shooting, scoring. No one wants to go play defense first, get berated when they don’t, and sit on the bench as freshman when less talented seniors play ahead of them.
bearcat1518 is offline   Reply With Quote