Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2014 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #901
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
I could be completely off-base, but I think Cobb's role will most likely just be a great shooter off the bench. He'll probably very briefly run the point every so often, but that will mostly be Caupain/Guyn. As we've stated before, judging by Cobb's offers from other schools, we can't expect this guy to come in here and just light it up. I certainly haven't seen him play, and every man has to earn their spot; I'm just not expecting him to be a huge game-changer. I'd be shocked if he started at all this year.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #902
Ryno99
Elite Member

Ryno99 is on a distinguished road
I've heard from some friends that have seen Cobb play, I haven't seen him so take this for what it's worth, that he is a great shooter, but they aren't sure how it will translate into high major D1 ball. He shoots from the hip so if you get a hand up anywhere near him you'll have a chance to block the shot. Some of you may remember Shannon Minor a local kid that played at NCH and then at NKU, if you've ever seen him shoot, this is how I understand Cobb shoots at this point in time. Not sure that is something you can change over a summer. Leads me to believe he'll have to be fairly wide open to be as consistent as he's been. But I guess we'll see.
Ryno99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #903
Weez1414

Weez1414 is on a distinguished road
Im not going to get into a Shannon Minor pissing match but I grew up with him, hooped with him, and went to high school with him and still know him, Shannon did not shoot from his hip. Cobb might shoot like Shannon but that would mean neither shoot from hip. Theres a video out with Cobb chucking in 3 after 3 and hes got good form and shoots over his head. Not sure why this comment would come out. Im with anyone saying that I dont expect much from him but hey he might be one of those diamonds in the rough.
Weez1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #904
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno99 View Post
I've heard from some friends that have seen Cobb play, I haven't seen him so take this for what it's worth, that he is a great shooter, but they aren't sure how it will translate into high major D1 ball. He shoots from the hip so if you get a hand up anywhere near him you'll have a chance to block the shot. Some of you may remember Shannon Minor a local kid that played at NCH and then at NKU, if you've ever seen him shoot, this is how I understand Cobb shoots at this point in time. Not sure that is something you can change over a summer. Leads me to believe he'll have to be fairly wide open to be as consistent as he's been. But I guess we'll see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29C4Xej7EXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fjw9kO1YQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQvyvIUcvE&feature=kp

It doesnt look like he shoots from his hip
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #905
Ryno99
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weez1414 View Post
Im not going to get into a Shannon Minor pissing match but I grew up with him, hooped with him, and went to high school with him and still know him, Shannon did not shoot from his hip. Cobb might shoot like Shannon but that would mean neither shoot from hip. Theres a video out with Cobb chucking in 3 after 3 and hes got good form and shoots over his head. Not sure why this comment would come out. Im with anyone saying that I dont expect much from him but hey he might be one of those diamonds in the rough.
Weez, like I said I haven't seen Cobb play, just word I got, no offense taken if anyone thinks differently. I played against Shannon while he was at NCH. Haven't seen him in years just read the article about his camp for fathers and children. Always liked him a great guy. Knew a couple of the other guys on the team at that time as well, Tony Rice was one, played a lot of baseball against Tony too.

It may not have been from his hip, but Shannon's shot started low and was always a topic of discussion, but the kid could hit them with deadly accuracy no matter how he shot them.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #906
Ryno99
Elite Member

Just watched the first video, but it may not be his hip, but his shot starts low on every 3, finishes high obviously but starts very low.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #907
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
As long as he isnt constantly taking the Cash Wright SR year 30 footers (poor Cash), I'll be ok with his shooting motion in his videos. Kinda hard to say on those though since they obviously dont show misses/shooting slumps/more FT. I think the shooting from the hip thing is more about the guys who seem like they have to build momentum and the ball in their release is always right out in front. He does a fair bit of that and he shoots from under his chin. I like a guy like KJ's stroke bc he gets it over his head more for a cleaner, more consistent release. If Cobb is a 6' guy playing SG, I can see how he'd have to be pretty open or pretty far off the line to get good looks.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 05-29-2014 at 09:08 AM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #908
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
SK had a pretty low shot, and I don't remember him ever getting blocked.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #909
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
SK 3-4 inches taller and had almost too quick of a release. He would almost flip it rather than heave it. "Trying to shoot like the ball is on fire" as Mick says. I'm not sure that Cobb is big or strong enough to be doing that.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #910
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
He had a lightning quick release, hopefully they will work on the same thing with Cobb the next couple years.