Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #111
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
As far as the game is concerned, what a game. It was 32-32 and then the refs swallowed their whistles and the Cats went on like a 41-9 run or something crazy. Caupain, Guyn and Kilpatrick all looked good. Caupain showed me a lot. He is so much smarter than our previous recruits. He and KJ. And that big guy was just throwing his weight around underneath. He fouled out and his team lost by 36. It did kind of expose our lack of size and the first half rebounding margin showed that. A solid big will give us trouble. We just need to attack him and get him into foul trouble and really focus on boxing out (which is not our strong suit). Our pressure defense will give teams fits all year. All of our opponents, including NC State have run out of gas in the second half. This is going to be a fun season.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #112
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
This article I saw under the headlines thread kind of explains why Davis didn't play last night. I was kind of surprised he didn't get in as well.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2013/...eremiah-davis/
Old 12-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #113
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDale View Post
While he may not have the athleticism of our guys, he was still in position to bag 7 boards, and those were not blocks by accident. Guess they all must have been dumb luck? He's no all-American candidate, for sure, but for a freshman he played OK (except he fouled out a la JJ). I'd take him over DN. But, that game is past. At least it gave our guys a little feel for what it's like to have a player of size out there against them. Now comes size AND ability. We need to control Kirk, and, more importantly, box him out.
Didn't say they were dumb luck, I said they were an inevitability. It's a matter of size and space. I don't think he's bad, I'm just not wowed that he got 7 boards or the two blocks. As for the Lobos, Kirk can bang if he wants to, no doubt. It's going to be a matter of denying him the ball and turning the Lobos over. Kirk will get his boards, just need to make him and Bairstow as close to non-factors as possible. Make everyone else beat us.
I feel a bit less queazy, knowing we can hit open 3's.
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #114
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
You guys are waaaay off (as usual):

1. Cincinnati has scheduled the good mid majors this year with NC Central, USC-Upstate, Middle Tennessee State. In years past that has been a major issue.

2. Most of the preseason conference tournaments are set out way in advance. It will be difficult for Cincinnati to get into one of these. Getting a tournament like the Battle for Atlantis or Old Spice Classic, Maui, etc provides the team with 3 more quality games. That allows Kennesaw State, Chicago State, and UMass Lowell off the schedule.

3. Made for TV games are also made out in advance. Hopefully UC can get a home-and-home with SDSU back along with a game in NYC every year. This is where ESPN needs to step in. I expect some better games in the coming year like we had with NC State.

4. You cannot just schedule every local MAC school because they are close. They know they are wanted and will charge a lot more for a buy game, or might request for a 2-1. I hope we can get a home-and-home with Dayton. Also getting NKU for a buy game should be easy to do.

Bottom line is the fans of Cincinnati suck and the arena is horrible for draw the casual fans. Cincinnati people are fickle, a brand new court/Nippert will increase attendance for a while.

Barring a Final 4 run, it will take a lot to get these fickle Cincinnatians to come to 5th 3rd. We will get outdrawn by Xavier...again...
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #115
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
But what this team, and athletic program in general, needs right now is fan support and money. Of the 7 games we've played at home right now, replace one or two of those with a quality opponent, and another one or two of those with a local opponent, and you're looking at much better attendance AND being ranked in the top 25 if we were still 7-0 at this point. Then the ranking snowballs into even higher attendance figures. We have to get the ball rolling early in the season to generate excitement and revenue for the program. The first 7 games of this schedule are nothing short of unacceptable.
I completely agree we need to strengthen some of our early OOC opponents and play more regional teams. 8K in the stands is better than 6K but it's still a far cry from selling out. However, the idea that we can't sell out the arena without a schedule change IMO is nonsense. Would it happen faster with an improved schedule? Sure...but ONLY if we win them. Would an average of 2K more fans per game help? Absolutely.

In order to start selling out games or at least putting 10K+ in the stands on a consistent basis we just need to keep winning at a very high rate and get into the top 10-15 in rankings. Get the media and fan buzz going. This, and probably ONLY this, is how you fill a UC BB arena consistently. The reason Huggins was selling out arenas (in non power leagues) for most games was because tickets were hard to come by for the BIG games so fans were forced to buy patsie game tickets if they wanted to see the team play at all. It didn't matter if it was against UD or South Carolina State Tech.

You could have the worst parking, arena, campus, neighborhood, schedule, etc and still fill every seat if you are in the top 5. The dog can wag the tail or the tail can wag the dog (hard schedule vs easy schedule)...I don't care. Rankings and NCAA success is really all that matters in the end. If we are ranked #22 because we had a hard schedule and lost a few or #7 because we had an easy schedule and won more of them...which would you prefer? Which would put more fans in the seats? Ask Huggins...he made a living dominating non power conferences. Our own football program showed we can fill seats by dominating the lowly Big East and getting our ranking up there as high as #3 even if we didn't belong there. We got there by never having to play UF or OSU or GA etc. Had we played them OOC and lost just one game we would have never been #3 in the first place.

Whether it's the preferred route or not...the easiest road to high rankings (for UC) is to win a very high % of games against a weaker schedule.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #116
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post

1. Cincinnati has scheduled the good mid majors this year with NC Central, USC-Upstate, Middle Tennessee State. In years past that has been a major issue.

2. Most of the preseason conference tournaments are set out way in advance. It will be difficult for Cincinnati to get into one of these. Getting a tournament like the Battle for Atlantis or Old Spice Classic, Maui, etc provides the team with 3 more quality games. That allows Kennesaw State, Chicago State, and UMass Lowell off the schedule.

3. Made for TV games are also made out in advance. Hopefully UC can get a home-and-home with SDSU back along with a game in NYC every year. This is where ESPN needs to step in. I expect some better games in the coming year like we had with NC State.

4. You cannot just schedule every local MAC school because they are close. They know they are wanted and will charge a lot more for a buy game, or might request for a 2-1. I hope we can get a home-and-home with Dayton. Also getting NKU for a buy game should be easy to do.

Bottom line is the fans of Cincinnati suck and the arena is horrible for draw the casual fans. Cincinnati people are fickle, a brand new court/Nippert will increase attendance for a while.

Barring a Final 4 run, it will take a lot to get these fickle Cincinnatians to come to 5th 3rd. We will get outdrawn by Xavier...again...
All your points are extremely valid. The bold especially sums up how I feel.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #117
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
I think Cincy fans are strange. I wouldn't say they are horrible, but I can't figure them out. Butch had to pull teeth to put people in Nippert when we were in the Big East, but then we get solid attendance in a crappy conference this year. Basketball, it seems like they show up for the big games and that is about it. If we can up the non-conference schedule a bit and either do renovations for 5/3 or go down to US Bank, I think that would help. The new conference will help us, as I think it will allow us to build our own brand. The Big East was great for exposure, but it was easy to become an afterthought even if you have a good record due to all the great teams that played in it.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #118
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
I think Cincy fans are strange. I wouldn't say they are horrible, but I can't figure them out. Butch had to pull teeth to put people in Nippert when we were in the Big East, but then we get solid attendance in a crappy conference this year. Basketball, it seems like they show up for the big games and that is about it. If we can up the non-conference schedule a bit and either do renovations for 5/3 or go down to US Bank, I think that would help. The new conference will help us, as I think it will allow us to build our own brand. The Big East was great for exposure, but it was easy to become an afterthought even if you have a good record due to all the great teams that played in it.
BB fans were showing up for 10 years straight when we were dominating the Metro and Con USA. It had NOTHING to do with our arena (or schedule) and EVERYTHING to do with how high we were ranked and how high our seed was come March Madness. We can MAYBE create a sellout or two by scheduling Duke...but CONSISTENT sellouts will DIRECTLY correlate to our rankings or NCAA tourney success. Scheduling regional teams or high profile teams will ONLY help attendance on a game by game basis but it won't help attendance at other games unless we win our fair share of them.

There are limitless ways to fill the stands, from going 15-0 (mid season) against a horrible schedule....to 12-3 against the best schedule in the country...or going 14-1 or 13-2 against something in the middle.

The year our FB team made it to #3....if we played the SEC schedule we likely wouldn't have been ranked in the top 20. If we played in the PAC 10 we may have been able to reach top 15. We played in the Big East and made it to #3 by being undefeated. Not an easy task but much easier than going 12-1 in the SEC and still having a shot at a title.

Our best interest right now, without having top 5 recruiting classes coming in year after year, is to beat up on a weaker schedule to get a high rank. It's worked in the past and it WILL work again as long as we take care of business. Fans will fill the seats when this happens...period.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #119
waterhead
Senior Moderator

15 patsies 15-0

13 patsies and 2 tough games 14-1

12 patsies and 3 tough games 13-2

10 patsies and 5 tough games 12-3

Which achieves the higher ranking and fan support? SOS can hurt or help depending on the outcome. If we are ranked #7 in scenario 1 and #18 in scenario 4 do we want scenario 4? Other than the help we get preparing for big games come tourney time I would say no. We should get plenty of prep playing UL and UCONN etc...we won't have a shortage of prep games even with this year's schedule...since we play them both twice and we have other games like X, Memphis, NM, Pitt, etc.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #120
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post

ok i get that you think uc fans suck... your argument is that of the chicken and the egg. meaning, does huge fan support breed athletic success or does athletic success breed huge fan support. i tend to think success breeds fan support. It takes special people to be die hard fans of programs they feel arent putting in effort to become better, accepting mediocrity as the best they can provide is not what most people want to see. yet we have mediocre facilities, mediocre seasons, mediocre recruits.... what drives a fan to be a fan? I grew up on cincy basketball and love it but i think the school is putting about as much effort and focus into to being elite as the fans are to showing up for games.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote