Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
Disagree that players haven't improved but back to Caupain. Some injuries kept him from playing a lot of AAU his last year. This doesn't surprise me and it will get even better.
Funny thing is he wasn't hurt much that AAU season, but it seemed like every time one of the national guys was set to see him he was dealing with an ankle sprain that kept coming back in the wrong spots. I saw him healthy a bunch, but he, KJ and Lawrence were at the top of my list of guys to track so I was there every time he was on my schedule. Unfortunately it is hard to get ranked when you aren't seen...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
I think Chad mentioned that the major recruiting analysts like Telep and Meyer of ESPN and 247 respectively never actually saw him play at any AAU tournaments...therefore he wasn't ranked in the top 150 by any of their services. What a great find by Larry Davis and the staff did a great job at pegging him as a PG when people thought he was a combo guard. The kid is special.

Gary Clarke has a chance to be the Troy of the '14 class...
Telep did see him once at an event in Texas, but it was the game after he sprained his ankle the first time and he struggled to fight through it. Talked to Dave the next week and he said he could see some potential, but knew it was a bad scout because of the injury. Really hate that Telep is not on the beat any more. He was by far the best in the business...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
With all of the social media, recruiting websites, etc., it is very hard for recruits to fall through the cracks now. Yet, some still do. I would argue that SO FAR, Troy Caupain has been the biggest steal out of the 2013 class in all of college basketball. If they went back after the season and re-ranked this recruiting class, I would have him in the top 20-30. He is smart, he plays hard, and he is calmer than any freshman I have seen in a while. His future is very bright, that is for sure.
I don't think his play thus far has justified calling him that. I think he could be a great point guard but he's not taking over games or putting up double digits while dropping 4-5 dimes on a consistent basis. I think we forget there are 5 star guards who really do that stuff. Mostly, because they don't come here.

I'm glad he's here but let's not go crazy... just yet.

Last edited by Nomadic1; 01-05-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic1 View Post
I don't think his play thus far has justified calling him that. I think he could be a great point guard but he's not taking over games or putting up double digits while dropping 4-5 dimes on a consistent basis. I think we forget there are 5 star guards who really do that stuff. Mostly, because they don't come here.

I'm glad he's here but let's not go crazy... just yet.
My point was that he was underrated, not that he was a 5 star guard. He has played like a 4 star and he definitely deserved to be ranked much higher than he was. I think that he would have a massive jump in the recruiting rankings if they were to do it over again after the season. I think that so far, considering the position that he plays and the difficulty involved with playing it, he has been the biggest steal in this class. If he continues to grow, I could see him in the running for AAC frosh of the year.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
Jarad_Hunter

Jarad_Hunter is on a distinguished road
Keep in mind he is splitting time. If you run his numbers against Ennis or Harrison, adjusted for minutes played, he compares favorably. Here's the data adjusted to 32.5 minutes (which is what Ennis is averaging):

Tyler Ennis
11.6 points
5.5 assists
3.3 rebounds
2.7 steals
1.2 turnovers
41.7% FGP
38.5% 3PP
73.6% FTP

Troy Caupain
11.1 points
3.8 assists
4.6 rebounds
2.0 steals
2.1 turnovers
42.9% FGP
44.0% 3PP
79.5% FT

Andrew Harrison
12.5 points
3.8 assists
2.8 rebounds
0.3 steals
2.8 turnovers
39.1% FGP
32.1% 3PP
71.1% FTP
Jarad_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #16
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
One of the great things about Caupain compared to the 5-star guys is that he might actually stick around for 4 years.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #17
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarad_Hunter View Post
Keep in mind he is splitting time. If you run his numbers against Ennis or Harrison, adjusted for minutes played, he compares favorably. Here's the data adjusted to 32.5 minutes (which is what Ennis is averaging):

Tyler Ennis
11.6 points
5.5 assists
3.3 rebounds
2.7 steals
1.2 turnovers
41.7% FGP
38.5% 3PP
73.6% FTP

Troy Caupain
11.1 points
3.8 assists
4.6 rebounds
2.0 steals
2.1 turnovers
42.9% FGP
44.0% 3PP
79.5% FT

Andrew Harrison
12.5 points
3.8 assists
2.8 rebounds
0.3 steals
2.8 turnovers
39.1% FGP
32.1% 3PP
71.1% FTP
That's a great way to break down stats. I love it when stats are put into perspective like this. Here is a question for everyone (because I have no idea)...where would you rank Caupain among the best freshman PG's in the country?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #18
CaptDale
Elite Member

CaptDale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
That's a great way to break down stats. I love it when stats are put into perspective like this. Here is a question for everyone (because I have no idea)...where would you rank Caupain among the best freshman PG's in the country?
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Waterhead. He's coming along at a rapid pace, but let's get a few more important games under our belts before we make him the second coming. But, that being siad, I do like you enthusiasm. You are #1 on the list in that category. Maybe a 5 star
CaptDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #19
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarad_Hunter View Post

Tyler Ennis
11.6 points
5.5 assists
3.3 rebounds
2.7 steals
1.2 turnovers
41.7% FGP
38.5% 3PP
73.6% FTP

Troy Caupain
11.1 points
3.8 assists
4.6 rebounds
2.0 steals
2.1 turnovers
42.9% FGP
44.0% 3PP
79.5% FT

Andrew Harrison
12.5 points
3.8 assists
2.8 rebounds
0.3 steals
2.8 turnovers
39.1% FGP
32.1% 3PP
71.1% FTP

I don't buy that argument. That assumes that he'll continue playing consistently whether he plays 10 minutes or 40 and people aren't fixed commodities like that. As you play, there's mental and physical strain. Not to mention the competition levels/schedule difficulties are different. And who's to say, that asking the others compared to him to shoulder a smaller role wouldn't improve their field goal% turnovers margin etc. ? And what of those things that don't show up on the stat sheet? That's just too open to take seriously imo.

As far as comparing him to Harrison, Caupain isn't 6'6. I think that comparison is rubbish tbh.

Last edited by Nomadic1; 01-05-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #20
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Just relax. He didn't have to play 30+ minutes from the start, let him grow into his role. I am excited for the next 3+ years...
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote