Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
You're right, we don't need to replace Yancy, with the improved guards we just need bigs who can contribute on the defensive end and grab a ton of boards. We're going to be very similar to the Jay Wright Villanova teams in terms of makeup. I still expect that we're going to rely heavily on defense and rebounding though because that is the style that Mick plays.

If Gaines can improve his footwork, hands and awareness I think he can play a huge role next year. He has a knack for blocking shots but he's got to get better with his hands and his positioning to grab the boards. If his footwork gets better he'll be able to clog up the post and keep himself out of foul trouble.

I'm not big on JJ to fill this role. He can run the floor and gets some nice blocks on D but he's not a very good rebounder and plays too out of control. I like Jackson but just not in a game changer type of a role. He's a great energy guy to come off the bench but I don't expect he's ever going to give us a significantly better production than we saw out of him this season. No doubt he'll develop into a better player, I just don't see him being a huge difference maker.
Probably agree about Justin but lets remember he is only a sophomore. He will progress. He needs to get under control and improve half court game.

Youre spot on about his rebounding. This HAS to improve.
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
dbieon12
Elite Member

dbieon12 is on a distinguished road
Core Guys:

Cashmere Wright. The run without Yancy, the run late in the season, and the run in the Big East tournament were all eye openers. I'm always frustrated when he doesn't shoot more often. I felt more comfortable with him shooting the ball than I did with Dixon. He's got a silky smooth 12 foot jumpshot which can extend to near 27 feet.

Jaquan Parker. Warrior. A guy should put the ball on the court more often. His 3pt shot is okay but it can disappear. He's most effective putting the ball on the court and getting to the hoop or pulling up 10-15 feet away and making a two.

Sean Kilpatrick. Scorer. He's going to be a big part of the team next season as we'll need him to put up points in bunches. He's still a streaky shooter, hopefully he can become more consistent this offseason and during the year.

Justin Jackson. Energy guy. "Action Jackson". I don't see him as a pure 5 or a pure 4. He's got length and did anyone else notice his offensive game got a little better at the end of the year. He developed a (still raw) swim move around a post defender. He's also got an interesting bank shot when in the paint. Strength could help him rebound but so could positioning and awareness particularly in half court situations. Teams were never prepared to play against him. In transition he was a beast and when he was involved offensively he had some rocket passes.

Peripheral Guys: (will need some of these guys to step up from time to time)

Cheik Mbodj. He's got size. He needs to work on his footwork and positioning. Strength would help him rebound more effectively and be able to go up strong. If he becomes a consistent 8pts/8rebs kind of guy he could be very valuable.

Jermaine Sanders. This kid has potential. Can score from inside and outside. Would like to see him work on his post play.

Jeremiah Davis III. I want to see what this kid can do with consistent minutes. At this point he would be my choice to be groomed as a replacement to Cash. He's good defensively on the ball but had trouble beating screens in the limited time he played which may be a concern.

Ge'Lawn Guyn. He got better with more time but I wouldn't be comfortable with him controlling the ball. He turned the ball over frequently. He's made impact plays already and should become more important next season.

Shaq Thomas. Most seem to be high on this kid. I don't expect much from freshmen but being a red-shirt has really helped Cashmere Wright - and hopefully the same can happen here. He should be a guy who gives us 8-10 points per game (hopefully - I don't expect more at this point).

Octavius Ellis. Wild-card. If he's ready to play, we have a better front-court immediately. If not we may have a guy who can get experience and spell Mbodj, Gaines and Jackson in games.

Kelvin Gaines. He's got size and I expect him to get 15-20 minutes consistently next season. He showed some promise but has some developing to do.

Titus Rubles. He could be the favorite to become an immediate impact (and core player). What he brings will be valuable. We lose rebounding in Yancy, and we pick some up with Rubles. He also will give the team another scoring option (hopefully).
dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Eternal E
Banned

Eternal E is on a distinguished road
Clearly its way too early but here are my thoughts on the guys:

Returning Starters
G Cashmere Wright: He will need to take his game to the next level, his leadership skills have greatly improved and I think he'll be the catalyst of the team next year. His ability to score and control a game will be vital. I am thinking he'll average between 12-16 points per game and be an All-Big East player.

G Sean Kilpatrick: He always could score but he'll need to work on his handles even more to help break down his man. Knowing the type of kid he is, he'll be in the gym as often as possible to improve his game. I am thinking he will average between 13-19 points per game and return to the All-Big East team.

G Jaquan Parker: I hope he really works on his offensive game in the offseason, if he could just finish around the rim more consistently he'll be a star. He will be toughest guy on the floor and will battle for every rebound, at this point that is a given. I think he'll average between 10-14 points per game.

Bench Guys
F Justin Jackson: I love his energy and excitement that he brings but it is time he grows up and matures as a player. His work this summer will be key for this team as he needs to be become the 4th scorer on this team.

G/F Shaq Thomas: Will be anther key to the team, especially if he can have a SK like freshman year. Athletic slasher and can really score the ball, his shot needs more work but he should contribute some.

G/F Jermaine Sanders: Has a good feel for the game and always seems to be in the right spot offensively, evident by the back cuts he had in each NCAA game. I think confidence is a key issue with him, he'll need to work hard on his game and conditioning to see major minutes but he should contribute some.

G Ge'lawn Guy: He is a very good on the ball defender, but was shaky with the ball on offense, didn't seem confident in making plays. He will get minutes because he can really guard people and has a good looking shot. The kid has the attitude that Bearcat fans of old will love, he is very fiery.

G Jeremiah Davis III: I really like his feel for the game as well, he needs to improve on becoming more of a PG, as I think he has the best shot to back up Cash. He's got a good stroke and will probably be one of the first guys off the bench.

C Kelvin Gaines: I really like how hard he works for position in the post and how freakishly athletic he is at 6 foot 10. He needs to continue to work on his hands especially for rebounding and he'll be able to contribute 8-10 minutes a game, he is still has a ways to go to be a legit contributor.

F/C Cheik Mbodj: This whole season has been a disaster for him, he got hurt early and then got suspended and basically his whole flow was ruined. As Mick has stated he should be more like the guy they recruited next year as I think he'll end up starting at the 5.

F Octavius Ellis: Love the upside but he has a ways to go like Gaines, he should be able to get in and press some but I am concerned about his size against Big East teams, he shows great effort and is an emotional guy. I look for 5-10 minutes in the non conference and probably 0-3 minutes in the Big East.

Incoming Recruits
F Titus Rubles: #2 JUCO recruit in the nation, will take a while to get him adjusted but he loves to rebound by his own admission and will probably end up being a starter at the 4.

F/C Chris Obekpa?: I hope.

Next season starters:
G Cashmere Wright RS Sr.
G Sean Kilpatrick RS Jr.
G Jaquan Parker Sr.
F Titus Rubles Jr.
F Cheik Mbodj Sr.
Eternal E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
I think Justin Jackson will make a big leap on the offensive end this offseason and you will see him starting at the 4 for this team.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
Eternal E
Banned

Eternal E is on a distinguished road
Jackson's best role will be as a 6th man, not saying he isn't good enough to start but I like him the most coming off the bench.
Eternal E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal E View Post
Jackson's best role will be as a 6th man, not saying he isn't good enough to start but I like him the most coming off the bench.
I don't agree. He will be better next year at staying out of foul trouble and he will work hard this off season to improve his game. You want a guy with his energy out there as much as possible. If he can develop a solid 15 foot jumper and continue to improve his handle a bit, he can be a monster for this team the next two years. He has only scratched the surface of his potential.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
We need someone to step into Justin role as a spark off the bench. Maybe Guyn? Maybe Obepka? Ellis?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
Thegreatone
Epic Member

I think you will see a more uptempo brand of basketball. Our bigs will be much more agile than Yancy. Our bench will be much deeper and ready to contribute. I think we will press much more and look for quick transition points.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
I think you will see a more uptempo brand of basketball. Our bigs will be much more agile than Yancy. Our bench will be much deeper and ready to contribute. I think we will press much more and look for quick transition points.
We already know these guys can shoot the 3 so the hope is that next season's offense will have a little more structure that what we saw post brawl. We need to stay uptempo but hopefully we see a lot more slashing and and a lot more penetration by the guards, especially against the zone. If we can move the ball into the middle of the defense in the half court sets we're going to have the option of dumping to a big, pulling up or kicking it out for an open 3. I think Mick has finally grown as an offensive coach and hopefully he'll go back to the drawing board in the offseason and devise a new offense for these guards to succeed in.

Hope Jason is right about JJ, it would be a huge lift. He certainly doesn't seem like the type who isn't going to work hard to improve his game, right now I don't see it, but I hope he can become that impact player. It would be huge for this team.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatMick View Post
What an absurd statement.

Mick will win much more than 1 NCAA tourney. Mick is one of if not the best coach in the country
Will we have to listen to this love fest all offseason?
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote