Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
This is getting interesting because there aren't enough football schools in the eastern half of the US to make a good league and still have enough (good) basketball playing members. They need to figure the revenue stuff out because the Big East should stay together as a basketball conference. It is too much fun to watch from a fan's perspective.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
User Name:

User Name: is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
I think that is exactly what it means.

Where would UC go? ACC is the only thing that make sense but I dont think they are looking and I doubt they would go west.
I think Williams is using the Missouri playbook from last year.

When the Big 12 was floundering, the Missouri President stepped up to help the conference out and keep it together. Then Missouri of course bailed to the SEC.

I think UC is trying to leverage a deal with the Big 12(Just My opinion based on ZERO evidence) but if that falls through then they still look like they are trying to keep the Big East intact. Pretty much a win win either way (Unless of course the Big East falls apart and UC is left out of the Big 12)
User Name: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
Eternal E
Banned

Eternal E is on a distinguished road
The league isn't going to split anytime soon.
Eternal E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
User Name:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal E View Post
The league isn't going to split anytime soon.
Why do you say that? The Big 12 now has a 2.6 billion dollar deal with ESPN and Louisville is gone if/when they are invited.

That could be the catalyst for a lot of changes
Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
I think Williams is using the Missouri playbook from last year.

When the Big 12 was floundering, the Missouri President stepped up to help the conference out and keep it together. Then Missouri of course bailed to the SEC.

I think UC is trying to leverage a deal with the Big 12(Just My opinion based on ZERO evidence) but if that falls through then they still look like they are trying to keep the Big East intact. Pretty much a win win either way (Unless of course the Big East falls apart and UC is left out of the Big 12)
My opinion is the opposite, Williams firmly believes that the Big East is the best conference for UC. The New York exposure is great for UC.

The basketball schools will have a very hard time going anywhere. Each would have to pay the Big East $10 million to leave the Conference and they would be giving up MSG for the Big East basketball tournament. Also basketball only conferences do not generate the TV revenue that the current Big East will generate when the new Big East TV deal is signed. It is estimated each basketball school will get about $6 million each from the new TV deal, they will not get that if they leave the Big East to form a basketball only conference.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
User Name:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1950 View Post
My opinion is the opposite, Williams firmly believes that the Big East is the best conference for UC. The New York exposure is great for UC.

The basketball schools will have a very hard time going anywhere. Each would have to pay the Big East $10 million to leave the Conference and they would be giving up MSG for the Big East basketball tournament. Also basketball only conferences do not generate the TV revenue that the current Big East will generate when the new Big East TV deal is signed. It is estimated each basketball school will get about $6 million each from the new TV deal, they will not get that if they leave the Big East to form a basketball only conference.
That's a great point. Financially, it would be stupid for the bball schools to leave.

I just don't understand how this league can co-exist when the bball schools have the voting power.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...natto-go-wrong

"One of the biggest stumbling points has been how the television money would be divided among the basketball and football schools. Last year, at the spring meetings in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., one proposal suggested a 75/25 split -- 75 percent of the money going to football schools, and 25 percent going to basketball schools. One athletic director at a basketball school raised his hand and wondered why the numbers were not flipped, since hoops is the reason the Big East exists in the first place. "

How can this league continue to function with this kind of logic of AD's from basketball schools
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
ralph1950
Epic Member

"How can this league continue to function with this kind of logic of AD's from basketball schools"

The football schools have more votes than the basketball schools in the new Big East.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
Eternal E
Banned

Eternal E is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
Why do you say that? The Big 12 now has a 2.6 billion dollar deal with ESPN and Louisville is gone if/when they are invited.

That could be the catalyst for a lot of changes
The Big 12 just renegotiated their deal, they are happy with 10 teams for now. The football schools need the basketball schools for the Big East name and brand, while the basketball schools needs the football schools for AQ status to the NCAA tournament. This overreaction to the firing of a guy everyone wanted fired is hilarious. Everyone is throwing stuff up against the wall hoping it sticks....
Eternal E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
ralph1950
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal E View Post
The Big 12 just renegotiated their deal, they are happy with 10 teams for now. The football schools need the basketball schools for the Big East name and brand, while the basketball schools needs the football schools for AQ status to the NCAA tournament. This overreaction to the firing of a guy everyone wanted fired is hilarious. Everyone is throwing stuff up against the wall hoping it sticks....
In my opinion the basketball schools need the football schools a lot more than the football schools need the basketball schools. However, they both need one another. The Big East brand is too huge for either the football or basketball schools to walk away from financially.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
User Name:

Why do the football schools even need the basketball schools at this point??

They are delusional in meetings/requests and really offer nothing in terms of revenue compared to the football schools.

Seriously, why do UL/UC/Rutgers/UConn and the rest need Depaul/Seton Hall/St Johns/GTown/Nova/Marquette etc?

The revenue is in football not bball. Conference re-alignment is all about football