Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
SJUBall

SJUBall is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
St. John's has never crossed the mind of a UC fan until all these St. John's posters started showing up here. We don't concern ourselves with bottom feeders in the Big East. We are concerned with beating good teams like UL, Marquette, Syracuse, Georgetown, etc.
I actually think St Johns has a stronger roster than Cincy this year. Cincy lost two of their best players statistically in Yancy Gates and Dion Dixon. If you look at big east stats, I believe only Cashmere Wright and Sean Kilpatrick show up in any leaders categories amongst the Big East players. No others except Justin Jackson in blocked shots.

It tells me that Cincy has a really nice backcourt coming back, but there will be questionsin the frontcourt. I don't think Bearcat fans know what SJU has. SJU's roster compares favorably to the bearcats this season. Don't expect an easy one. Lavin beat the Bearcats with only 6 guys last season. We split games the past 2 seasons and finished ahead of Cincy 2 years ago with Lavin's first team You guys returned the favor later in the year, but we return 5 of those 6 players and add 7 more this year.

SJU isn't rebuilding like last year. We are rebuilt and ready to roll.
SJUBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC baller View Post
You wanted to stop the bickering about recruiting on other threads .. So you start a new thread off by bashing St. John's?? What kind of flaming moderator are you? I'm not posting on this thread and hopefully other posters of both schools don't either. Smh.
I am not a typical moderator.

Second, I am tired of all the legit threads being taken over by St Johns talk. This is going to contain all the trash. Talk as much shit as you want here just dont make personal attacks.

Most bearcat fans dont care about St Johns but might enjoy getting into it so they can do it here. If it carries over to bearcat related stuff it is going to be taken off or there will be a ban.

If you are reading this thread, understand what it is, dont think we are allowing st johns fans to take over or flame..
Thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Thegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura aboutThegreatone has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJUBall View Post
I actually think St Johns has a stronger roster than Cincy this year. Cincy lost two of their best players statistically in Yancy Gates and Dion Dixon. If you look at big east stats, I believe only Cashmere Wright and Sean Kilpatrick show up in any leaders categories amongst the Big East players. No others except Justin Jackson in blocked shots.

It tells me that Cincy has a really nice backcourt coming back, but there will be questionsin the frontcourt. I don't think Bearcat fans know what SJU has. SJU's roster compares favorably to the bearcats this season. Don't expect an easy one. Lavin beat the Bearcats with only 6 guys last season. We split games the past 2 seasons and finished ahead of Cincy 2 years ago with Lavin's first team You guys returned the favor later in the year, but we return 5 of those 6 players and add 7 more this year.

Stop reading here. Obvious trolling.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
SJUBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatone View Post
Keep it here. If it goes off this page and into other good threads we will close them or ban people.

For fun I looked at the past couple years of St Johns bball. Yikes.

13-19 two out of the past three years....

The one "good" year they lost in the opening round to Gonzaga by 15.

Before that they were 16-18 and 16-17 with terrible Big East records.

Now I understand why landing one recruit that others backed off from is the highlight of your fanbase.

Have fun....
SJU has had better recruiting classes than Cronin last 2 years. This is not about one recruit. If you want to compare, go back 2 seasons to when Lavin took over, not before that.

We finished 3rd in the Big East in Lavin's first season. Last year we had to replace 12 scholarship players and had some "bumps" in the road like only 6 guys and Lavin sat the season out with cancer. Things back to business this year. I think SJU can be a top 6 Big East team this year. no pushover.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
SJUBall

Quote:
Stop reading here. Obvious trolling.
So then you break roster comparo down and tell me why you think Cincy is head and shoulders better? I don't think you know a thing about our roster.

Ps, thanks great stone for starting this thread. I think the purpose was "flame-baiting" which is fine and it means you created the thread for trolls. I think it is good to have some rivalry going and some discussion. A little "bad-blood" is what makes the basketball in this conference great.

Last edited by SJUBall; 06-13-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
Thegreatone
Epic Member

Perhaps they can. But I have a feeling I will be hearing about how the johnnies are young and just one more year away when the season is halfway done.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
anbuc88
Elite Member

anbuc88 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I am not a typical moderator.

Second, I am tired of all the legit threads being taken over by St Johns talk. This is going to contain all the trash. Talk as much shit as you want here just dont make personal attacks.

Most bearcat fans dont care about St Johns but might enjoy getting into it so they can do it here. If it carries over to bearcat related stuff it is going to be taken off or there will be a ban.

If you are reading this thread, understand what it is, dont think we are allowing st johns fans to take over or flame..
That's why this site continues to get worse and worse. Rather than getting rid of idiot SJU posters, or idiot posters from other programs, you decide to devote a thread to them. Brilliant. You are correct that you are not a typical moderator. Most of them have common sense and are not morons.
anbuc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
SJUBall

Quote:
Perhaps they can. But I have a feeling I will be hearing about how the johnnies are young and just one more year away when the season is halfway done.
I think SJU certainly is young and a year or so away from greatness ie. final 8 runs, but this year we are deep with a full roster. Definite growng pains, but athletically I don't think there is a team in the conference except Louisville who has this much top to bottom.

I'd still like to read an objective roster comparo from you.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #19
bearcatrunner

bearcatrunner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So then you break roster comparo down and tell me why you think Cincy is head and shoulders better? I don't think you know a thing about our roster.

Ps, thanks great stone for starting this thread. I think the purpose was "flame-baiting" which is fine and it means you created the thread for trolls. I think it is good to have some rivalry going and some discussion. A little "bad-blood" is what makes the basketball in this conference great.
Why do people have to tear down one program to feel better about theirs? All I can say about St. Johns is that I am sure they will be better than this year.
bearcatrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
Bearcat22
Elite Member

Bearcat22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

St. John's could struggle early as the team tries to develop chemistry. But there is a lot of talent. Nobody expects you to be an expert on the Cats, but while we're lucky to have possibly the best SG in the BEAST in Killapatrick and one of the best PG in Cash, we certainly have more then that coming back. Our best recruit a year ago, Shaq Thomas, was a redshirt (NCAA Clearinghouse related), Jackson (who you mentioned) has another year of development under his belt, Mbodj played last season on essentially one good ankle, Gaines can provide a defensive shot block presence and should see more minutes, Sanders (NYC guy) is by all accounts lighting up the summer workouts, Rubbles (one of the best Jucos in the country) will add to the front court, if you watched any of Cats games you saw that Parker is easily one of the toughest hard nosed intangible guys in the NCAA, Guyn already can play D-1 defense and will contribute at both guards positions, this could go on. Yes you have talent, so do we.
Bearcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote