Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Red_N_Black_Attack

Red_N_Black_Attack is on a distinguished road
UC at Memphis

I've been really busy so far this college basketball season and barely had enough time to keep up with the Cats. Is Memphis really as good as their rating? I don't know what type of tempo they like to use or their strengths. I'd like to think their D can be broken by our Offense, but I haven't seen enough consistency in our offense.

I am confident our Defense will play well.

What kind of evaluations and predictions can you offer for this game?
Red_N_Black_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
Tough to win at FedEx; I'll say cats by 8 (tigers that is).
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Memphis is currently 10-2 and ranked #18/#18 in the polls, #19 by KenPom and #18 by the RPI.

They are essentially what most UC fans what Cincinnati to be. A team composed of a lot of 5* and 4* athletes that thrive in an open court game because of the excellent guard play.

The two losses they have are to Oklahoma State in Stillwater (by 21) and Florida at MSG (by 2). The best win they have is a revenge game over Oklahoma State at the Old Spice Classic (by 5). They also beat LSU in the Old Spice (by 7), who figures to be an at-large contender in the SEC.

As I mentioned, senior guard play is their biggest strength as they have 4 quality guards: Joe Jackson (15 points, 4 assists), Chris Crawford (9 points, 4 rebounds), Geron Johnson (8 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists) and Michael Dixon (11 points and 2 assists).

In the frontcourt, they are led by sophomore Shaq Goodwin who has really improved from last year (13 points, 7 rebounds) and a freshman named Austin Nichols who reminds me of a young Pau Gasol (9 points, 4 rebounds). They have been getting production from 1 year rental David Pellom as well.

Those 7 players I just mentioned are about as far as their rotation will go now that conference play has started. They have a ton of good freshman who could make an impact, but against better teams they'll stick with the guys they trust.

----------------------------------
Cincinnati isn't going to be able to get into an up and down game against Memphis (especially at the Forum) because they simply have much better guard play. The way UC will have to win this game is by grinding it out possession by possession. I am not sure how much Mick will want to pressure, as they can easily feed of it and get easy buckets. This is the best team Cincinnati has played to date, and Memphis has legitimate Sweet 16/Elite 8 dreams. I think this is the game where defensive streak of holding an opponent under 70 is snapped:

Memphis 78, Cincinnati 63
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_N_Black_Attack View Post
I've been really busy so far this college basketball season and barely had enough time to keep up with the Cats. Is Memphis really as good as their rating? I don't know what type of tempo they like to use or their strengths. I'd like to think their D can be broken by our Offense, but I haven't seen enough consistency in our offense.

I am confident our Defense will play well.

What kind of evaluations and predictions can you offer for this game?
Take a look at their efficiencies HERE.

I am quite impressed with their offensive numbers, and the turnover rat ethey force is almost as good as UC.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Memphis is currently 10-2 and ranked #18/#18 in the polls, #19 by KenPom and #18 by the RPI.

They are essentially what most UC fans what Cincinnati to be. A team composed of a lot of 5* and 4* athletes that thrive in an open court game because of the excellent guard play.

The two losses they have are to Oklahoma State in Stillwater (by 21) and Florida at MSG (by 2). The best win they have is a revenge game over Oklahoma State at the Old Spice Classic (by 5). They also beat LSU in the Old Spice (by 7), who figures to be an at-large contender in the SEC.

As I mentioned, senior guard play is their biggest strength as they have 4 quality guards: Joe Jackson (15 points, 4 assists), Chris Crawford (9 points, 4 rebounds), Geron Johnson (8 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists) and Michael Dixon (11 points and 2 assists).

In the frontcourt, they are led by sophomore Shaq Goodwin who has really improved from last year (13 points, 7 rebounds) and a freshman named Austin Nichols who reminds me of a young Pau Gasol (9 points, 4 rebounds). They have been getting production from 1 year rental David Pellom as well.

Those 7 players I just mentioned are about as far as their rotation will go now that conference play has started. They have a ton of good freshman who could make an impact, but against better teams they'll stick with the guys they trust.

----------------------------------
Cincinnati isn't going to be able to get into an up and down game against Memphis (especially at the Forum) because they simply have much better guard play. The way UC will have to win this game is by grinding it out possession by possession. I am not sure how much Mick will want to pressure, as they can easily feed of it and get easy buckets. This is the best team Cincinnati has played to date, and Memphis has legitimate Sweet 16/Elite 8 dreams. I think this is the game where defensive streak of holding an opponent under 70 is snapped:

Memphis 78, Cincinnati 63
I'm gonna go Memphis 68-UC 60. This team rarely gets embarrassed, don't think we will lose by 15. The Xavier game was a fluke.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
I think this will be a very tough task for UC to win but not out of the question for a couple reasons: its a road game in a what will be packed loud arena. I am not sure we are mentally tough enough to hang in that kind of atmosphere. Memphis is going to have their runs and I just question our offensive abilities to hang with that.

We have been playing better of late so I am excited to see if we have gotten better. I think we can win but it will be very difficult.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJack5 View Post
I'm gonna go Memphis 68-UC 60. This team rarely gets embarrassed, don't think we will lose by 15. The Xavier game was a fluke.
Memphis has been dying to get a quality team at home and an old rival at that. I think they come out really pumped up. The score probably won't indicate how close of a game it is, kind of UNM got out to a huge lead then UC came back and then UNM pulled away...
Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
If Justin Jackson stays out of foul trouble we will win this game. I expect sk to find his shot and come out on fire. This is a different team than the guys that went to New Mexico, we are more experienced and comfortable and confident in our roles. This team is really clicking, and our ready to show the nation who they are. This is a big test on espn against a great team, but i think we are up to it.
UC 72 Mempphis 63
Caupain, sk, and kj could see time together this game to match there guards. Caupain is always smooth and sk is sk, but if kj plays like he did against Nebraska were looking good.

Last edited by Bearcat Rob; 01-02-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Justin Jackson and shaq Goodwin are pretty much the same player, regardless of who wins its going to be a great game to watch. I wouldn't be surprised to see sk, Sanders, thomas, rubles, and Jackson all on the floor together to try and compete with their size and strength. Sk pretty much handles the ball the majority of the time anyways so I don't see why that lineup would be a problem
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #10
BearcatMick
Elite Member

BearcatMick is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't think Mumphis really matches up well against us.

They can't shoot very well and UC won't allow them many offensive boards

The only reason I'm thinking this is somewhat close is because its a road game and Mumphis will get some BS calls

UC 70
Mumphis 64