Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
JJ Mania

It seems like a lot of fans are really high on JJ right now and for good reason. It's not that he just finally put together two back to back good games. He has been on a 5 game tear with good to great play. That is a serious trend developing. I understand he will have to face a few better big men in the future (and on the road) but right now I am optimistic he can play well. We desperately needed at least one additional dimension to SK.

He's been doing just about everything right. Scoring, rebounding, blocking, assisting, stealing, coaching, staying out of foul trouble, predicting, deflecting, leading, playing hard, intimidating, encouraging, playing with intelligence, etc etc etc.

Right now our two best leaders by example, emotionally, and verbally just happen to be our two best AND most experienced players. These are the type of models we want our younger guys to watch and emulate. It's also not bad that our third captain is right behind them in all around stat production, effort and is our best defender.

Plug a crafty, controlled, and clutch TC into this mix along with getting one more player to rise up...this team could be extremely dangerous come March. I know I am getting ahead of myself but these guys seem to be coming together. The D is stifling as usual but the offense has a different dynamic now than what we have been use to.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I think we all could have predicted what SK and TR would be contributing but I am not sure we could have predicted how JJ has transformed his game and how TC has already been playing like a veteran.

I think the one thing on a lot of wish lists right now is for Thomas to start playing at the level he was toward the end of last year and hopefully even better. I might add with consistency.

Before the season started I was thinking we would not make the dance. As of right now I have much more optimism. I gotta give a lot of credit to the players but also to Cronin for his recruiting these players and inspiring them to work as hard as they do in games and in off season.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
18.9 points 9.7 rebounds 3.5 blocks...
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Scheids21
Epic Member

Scheids21 is on a distinguished road
...those are Kenyon Martin's senior year stats. No, of course Jackson is not on his level. However, his last five games are not far off and I'd like to give the young man credit for the progress he has made. Again, this team will go as he goes this year.
Scheids21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
18.9 points 9.7 rebounds 3.5 blocks...
That looks like a K-Mart stat...
Old 01-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheids21 View Post
...those are Kenyon Martin's senior year stats. No, of course Jackson is not on his level. However, his last five games are not far off and I'd like to give the young man credit for the progress he has made. Again, this team will go as he goes this year.
Haha...I knew it wasn't JJ but

How does 15.8...10...and 4 (ish) sound in the last 5 games?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
I'll be happy with 12, 8, and 3 if he can stay out of foul trouble and continue making good decisions on offense.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'll be happy with 12, 8, and 3 if he can stay out of foul trouble and continue making good decisions on offense.
Me too
Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Since his 1 point performance against Xavier here are Jackson's averages:

15.8 points
10.0 rebounds
3.8 blocks
2.4 steals
2.2 assists
Shooting 62.3% from the field (33/53)

Jason Maxiell as a senior averaged 15.3 points, 7.7 rebounds, 2.7 blocks on 54.3% shooting.

Eric Hicks as a senior averaged 15.0 points, 9.7 rebounds, 3.3 blocks on 47.9% shooting.

Yancy Gates as a senior averaged 12.2 points, 8.9 rebounds, 0.9 blocks on 47.4% shooting.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

How much fun was it to watch the "clear out" to give JJ space to operate and beat his man? How bad did we need that dimension inside? As of right now JJ has such lightning quick moves for a big man that he can also use that to his advantage for a step fake pull back 10 foot jumper. His shot isn't too bad...but his defenders are going to be worried about getting beat with a spin move or the one dribble baby hook. If it's not there he is also a great passer (sometimes a little too flashy) but he seems to be scaling back the less intelligent plays and fouls.

I think he is finally realizing when he plays 30+ minutes he is a stat stud and Cronin has likely been trying to beat that into his brain. You can see defensively he is making decisions so he can stay on the court.