Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #11
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
It appears that way....

But why continually do the same thing over and over again? Is that not the definition of insanity.... Push the tempo. Create some easier buckets.

Mick can harp on defense and rebounding all he wants... but this team is not very good at those things.

Time for MICK to adjust his style. Something he has refused to do for years. What he is doing simply is not working.
Why in the world do we wait for the defense to set up to start our offense? Several times in the second half yesterday we attacked in the first 10 or 15 or even 20 seconds of the shot clock and scored. Not just on fast breaks. The announcers noticed this as well. And mentioned it several times. Jacob did this nicely yesterday. I thought that was going to make him feel comfortable and he was going to make backbreaker 3. But it just didn't go down
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #12
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
54.3 points/40 minutes in 130 minutes worth of conference road games. You can't win like that. You can't win like that. You can't win like that. No reason to desperately search for things that are holding this program back. This coach is asking these kids to do something that has led to way too many losses in the past 1.5 years. It is frustrating that this is the perennial elephant in the room.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #13
Doogle

Doogle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
54.3 points/40 minutes in 130 minutes worth of conference road games. You can't win like that. You can't win like that. You can't win like that. No reason to desperately search for things that are holding this program back. This coach is asking these kids to do something that has led to way too many losses in the past 1.5 years. It is frustrating that this is the perennial elephant in the room.

If you're going to play a 60-61 possession game, you'd better be damn efficient. This team is not. I ask again: look at the players on the roster and tell me which ones are suited for possession basketball. You have to look at your personnel, decide what style suits them best, and run that style. I don't know what Mick's telling them in practice but what we're seeing on the court screams Coaching. He talks a good game on pressing, for instance, but any time they press it's a passive, drop back into a zone press with minimal ball pressure that gets easily beaten because they aren't aggressive. Offensively, they turn the ball over 10-17 times against pack line zones. Why play that way when the results are consistently bad?
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #14
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
If you're going to play a 60-61 possession game, you'd better be damn efficient. This team is not. I ask again: look at the players on the roster and tell me which ones are suited for possession basketball. You have to look at your personnel, decide what style suits them best, and run that style. I don't know what Mick's telling them in practice but what we're seeing on the court screams Coaching. He talks a good game on pressing, for instance, but any time they press it's a passive, drop back into a zone press with minimal ball pressure that gets easily beaten because they aren't aggressive. Offensively, they turn the ball over 10-17 times against pack line zones. Why play that way when the results are consistently bad?
Because that's all Mick knows how to do. His whole resume is built on defense and toughness and that clearly isn't working for him with this group of players. Mick said himself this offseason that you can't beat the great teams on defense and toughness alone, he knows this. The problem is he's not capable of fixing it.

Mick might be capable of winning in the GCL, but he'd probably be the 2nd or 3rd best coach in that league. I'm sure LaSalle would love to have him back.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #15
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Our press is weak with Cobb out front. Doogle 100% correct our ball pressure is soft as Charmin. I was screaming for us to get up in temple FACE and guard. Whenever we play active aggressive D we win. Offense even wit h #10 at pg moving like turtle has had us in every game. Defense isn't good enough to beat south Florida, offense good enough to beat ISU
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #16
HoosierCat
Elite Member

HoosierCat is on a distinguished road
Neither Cobb or Troy has been very good on D. Get blowed by to easy in half court and full court. I would say KJ has been our best defensive guard, and not sure that's saying a lot.
HoosierCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #17
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierCat View Post
Neither Cobb or Troy has been very good on D. Get blowed by to easy in half court and full court. I would say KJ has been our best defensive guard, and not sure that's saying a lot.
KJ, Evans or Shaq needs be out front of press.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #18
HoosierCat
Elite Member

HoosierCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
KJ, Evans or Shaq needs be out front of press.
I agree with that.
HoosierCat is offline   Reply With Quote