Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #11
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I couldn't care less about Pitino wearing a UC shirt or coming to games or talking to the team. Like him or not, the guy can coach. It's not a surprise that he and Mick are friends. Don't see it as an issue.

Can he coach though? Or can he buy talent?

I’m sure if you, me and many members on the board had his salary and resources we could be successful coaches too.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #12
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeFits View Post

I’m sure if you, me and many members on the board had his salary and resources we could be successful coaches too.
Whoa.

I mean Pitino never built a roster full of one and done guys like UK. He had a lot of program guys that he coached up and won a championship.

He is a much better coach than cal
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Well, hmm...
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
GuyfromNKY

GuyfromNKY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Whoa.

I mean Pitino never built a roster full of one and done guys like UK. He had a lot of program guys that he coached up and won a championship.

He is a much better coach than cal
This. He is one of the best coaches and motivators in the history of college basketball. To say he bought his talent just shows you are paying attention to one situation.

He brought Kentucky University back from the death penalty. He won a championship at Louisville with Luke Hancock and Peyton Siva as his stars. At one point he was undefeated in the sweet sixteen. That’s absurd.

Yea he is a horrible person but he’s not in the locker room talking to the players about slime ball stuff. He is sharing his knowledge, which he has more of than 99% of the basketball universe.
GuyfromNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #15
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I’m still calling you out as a Xavier troll.

I’ll circle back to the to Cumberland incident before the season started. You hadn’t posted on here for almost 8 months and then suddenly you post 7 comments in one hour regarding the situation.

7 comments in one hour!!!! After absolutely nothing for 8 months! LOL.

Now here you are again starting a thread about the friendship between the two coaches and the association one has with the team.

This screams little brother. I’d be more concerned with Mack dropping Xavier for the greener pastures in Louisville. I think it’s gonna happen. Much like Skip, Thad and Sean Miller did before him.
I was a founding father of this website.... Do a little research.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #16
STKohls

STKohls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyfromNKY View Post
This. He is one of the best coaches and motivators in the history of college basketball. To say he bought his talent just shows you are paying attention to one situation.

He brought Kentucky University back from the death penalty. He won a championship at Louisville with Luke Hancock and Peyton Siva as his stars. At one point he was undefeated in the sweet sixteen. That’s absurd.

Yea he is a horrible person but he’s not in the locker room talking to the players about slime ball stuff. He is sharing his knowledge, which he has more of than 99% of the basketball universe.
He's also coached in both the NCAA and the NBA, and can give his perspective on the league. Coach Cronin specifically mentioned the NBA experience as a reason he wanted Pitino to speak with the team.
STKohls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #17
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by STKohls View Post
He's also coached in both the NCAA and the NBA, and can give his perspective on the league. Coach Cronin specifically mentioned the NBA experience as a reason he wanted Pitino to speak with the team.
We have K-MART in the stands watching his son play, Pitino in the stands sitting next to a couple of recruits, at this moment on will only help UC.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #18
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Maybe I'll make an avatar of Pitino wearing his UC shirt.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #19
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Mick and Pitino being friends is widely known and often talked about by Mick.

I've said for years that Mick can have the friends he wants, but publicly backing Pitino is a bad look.

He seems to be around the program a lot these days. Thoughts?

Around the program a lot? This is the first instance he has been around the team this year isn't it? He lives in Florida as well, not like he was in Kentucky. Sure he was wearing a UC shirt in a diner in Florida but Mick even said he tried to get him to donate to 5/3 and gave him some gear.

I don't think that Mick gets enough credit for getting alums and others to talk to the team. When he can he always gets alums and HC's even referees to talk to the team, had Brey talk to the team, SK, K-Mart etc...

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 01-14-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #20
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Because the guy is a slime ball who was basically kicked out of the game? Really sends a great message to our kids and is a good look for our program having that guy around...Way to go Mick. *Starts slow clap*
bruh he's not doing our recruiting and isn't even formally associated with our program.

it is, at most, some encouragement and talking points from a coaching legend and a guy who coached in the nba. i'm not sure how that can possibly be anything worse than minimally helpful.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote