Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
AAU Basketball / Recruiting

AAU basketball is ruining college basketball. AAU basketball is destroying the game of BASKETBALL.

There is a reason High School teams such as Moeller continually dominate year in and year out. And its NOT the freak AAU athlete. There is rarely a team that has a higher basketball IQ on the court. They never make mistakes. They run great sets. They play very very good defense. They havent missed a free throw since 1879.

Athlete does not mean basketball player and im getting very tired of it. Fundamentals are leaving basketball at a rapid pace. Everyone wants the freak athlete. The guy that can jump out of the gym... The guy that cant play the game of basketball.

It is simply astonishing the guys that are given scholarships based on potential and size. Give me a fundamentally solid guy at 6'7 over the 7'1 guy that simply cant play.

This UC basketball team is made up of what? Low basketball IQ. Projects. Height over talent. Athletes over ball players. Why does Mick constantly go get guys from africa who are 7ft? Your telling me you cant find a ryan fletcher somewhere? Hell go to the GCL, im sure theres 1 there.

Maybe this is just my current frustration, but can we please start recruiting SOME basketball guys? Go with an athletic 1 2 and 3, but the bigs NEED to be fundamentally sound.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
I am all for the type of roster Cincinnati has. However, if you are going to recruit these types of athletes then you have to press the entire game and push the tempo on offense. Play a 4 out offense with Jackson at the 5 and drive to the basket with some authority.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Amberlycolonel

Amberlycolonel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
AAU basketball is ruining college basketball. AAU basketball is destroying the game of BASKETBALL.

There is a reason High School teams such as Moeller continually dominate year in and year out. And its NOT the freak AAU athlete. There is rarely a team that has a higher basketball IQ on the court. They never make mistakes. They run great sets. They play very very good defense. They havent missed a free throw since 1879.

Athlete does not mean basketball player and im getting very tired of it. Fundamentals are leaving basketball at a rapid pace. Everyone wants the freak athlete. The guy that can jump out of the gym... The guy that cant play the game of basketball.

It is simply astonishing the guys that are given scholarships based on potential and size. Give me a fundamentally solid guy at 6'7 over the 7'1 guy that simply cant play.

This UC basketball team is made up of what? Low basketball IQ. Projects. Height over talent. Athletes over ball players. Why does Mick constantly go get guys from africa who are 7ft? Your telling me you cant find a ryan fletcher somewhere? Hell go to the GCL, im sure theres 1 there.

Maybe this is just my current frustration, but can we please start recruiting SOME basketball guys? Go with an athletic 1 2 and 3, but the bigs NEED to be fundamentally sound.
IN A NUTSHELL!!! That sums it up completely.
Amberlycolonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
It would be nice to start getting players with more bball IQ because its something we are clearly lacking. I have a problem with our coaches and players saying they are going to run a certain style of bball (40 minutes of havoc) and completely go away from that and play a style of bball that does not fit any of our player's game. Its complete asinine to think we can win games in a slow half court battle. Its not who were are and it has led everyone, especially the players lost and confused. I don't think they even know who they are anymore, they have regressed that much in 2013.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
dbieon12
Elite Member

dbieon12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
It would be nice to start getting players with more bball IQ because its something we are clearly lacking. I have a problem with our coaches and players saying they are going to run a certain style of bball (40 minutes of havoc) and completely go away from that and play a style of bball that does not fit any of our player's game. Its complete asinine to think we can win games in a slow half court battle. Its not who were are and it has led everyone, especially the players lost and confused. I don't think they even know who they are anymore, they have regressed that much in 2013.
It's worsened when Jackson picks up two quick fouls and we have to bring in Nyarsuk or Gaines or slide Rubles up. Jackson is our best when we want to play up-tempo but he needs to play smarter basketball. He's an effective player when he does.

I don't want to pin it on Cronin but I am tired of his inept offense (defense looks solid). Too often do we see other teams run a proper half-court execution where they find an open man. If we ever did that, we might have a chance at hitting shots and getting looks.

Last edited by dbieon12; 02-24-2013 at 04:26 PM.
dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post

Preaching to the choir, as far as Moeller goes. But it isn't just private schools, it is also public schools-look at Walnut Hills this year, they have a guy who has been to 3 high schools in 4 years and had to get a court order to play high school basketball. I also don't like Summit, they got 2 guys transfer up from Florida. There are no hometown teams that you really want to root for and see the players mature over 4 years anymore. High School basketball is getting more and more like college basketball. It is supposed to be fun, not with a business mentality.
JumpinJack5 is offline   Reply With Quote