Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Game 1 Breakdown

Starters

Guyn - was pleased with his game today. Finished with 6.. should have been 10 but blew two bunnies. Zero turnovers with a couple of assists. Proved that he can hit a step in three.

Sk - Played a great game. Didnt shoot the three spectacular. Best player on the floor.

Shaq - yo... 3 turnovers in 11 minutes of play will lose you a starting spot real quick. Played a really poor game. Not sure if his starting spot will last. Hopefully just a bad game, but he needs to be better.

Titus - Solid. Does some questionable things.... But will be a big time player this year for this team. Will lead the team in rebounds. Could be second leading scorer on the team potentially. Free throws improved as the game went on.

Justin - Was a step back from what we saw in pre season.. Offensively he was very efficient. Defensively he struggled to play without fouling. Major concern going forward. He has to be on the floor for this team to win.

Bench

Sanders - Played the best game I have seen from him in a Bearcat uniform. He made shots that he needed to make. I hope it continues.

Lawrence - This is a tough one... Defensively he is not good, incredibly soft and wont challenge anything. For as athletic as he is, he doesnt move his feet well at all. You see the potential there, but really played to many minutes imo. On the plus seems to be a good ft shooter and obviously has a great upside.

Dave - Not much to say. Matchup problems didnt allow dave hardly any time.

Caupain - For those claiming hes a starter... well.. hes not, yet. Thought he played an ok game. Had a really bad turnover, missed a few shots, hit a couple of free throws. After tonights game I dont see him starting over G anytime soon.

K Johnson - This kid is going to be good. Tonight put up the old 0-5 shooting, but there is something different about him. Hes not afraid to make a move and shoot the ball. I really think his future is bright.

JD - FREE JD. FREE JD. PUT HIM IN THE GAME. Obviously Mick doesnt like something, but what it is is beyond me... The game flows much better with him on the court. Im not calling for huge minutes but for him to not see the floor in the second half is ridiculous.

Mick - Thought the substitution pattern at times was to frequent. Obviously early in the season, still trying to figure things out.. Eventually this rotation has to be cut down some. Basketball is a game of flow, you cant get flow subbing guys in and out constantly. O, and play JD more.

Overall I left this game not having a clue what to think about this team... Showed some good things, showed some bad things. Had opportunities to blow the game wide open and didnt accomplish that. Their going to have to get better.

O and the fouls this year in college basketball games are going to be brutal. Way way way to many.

Last edited by TheLivingLegend; 11-08-2013 at 10:23 PM.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Starters

Guyn - was pleased with his game today. Finished with 6.. should have been 10 but blew two bunnies. Zero turnovers with a couple of assists. Proved that he can hit a step in three.

Sk - Played a great game. Didnt shoot the three spectacular. Best player on the floor.

Shaq - yo... 3 turnovers in 11 minutes of play will lose you a starting spot real quick. Played a really poor game. Not sure if his starting spot will last. Hopefully just a bad game, but he needs to be better.

Titus - Solid. Does some questionable things.... But will be a big time player this year for this team. Will lead the team in rebounds. Could be second leading scorer on the team potentially. Free throws improved as the game went on.

Justin - Was a step back from what we saw in pre season.. Offensively he was very efficient. Defensively he struggled to play without fouling. Major concern going forward. He has to be on the floor for this team to win.

Bench

Sanders - Played the best game I have seen from him in a Bearcat uniform. He made shots that he needed to make. I hope it continues.

Lawrence - This is a tough one... Defensively he is not good, incredibly soft and wont challenge anything. For as athletic as he is, he doesnt move his feet well at all. You see the potential there, but really played to many minutes imo. On the plus seems to be a good ft shooter and obviously has a great upside.

Caupain - For those claiming hes a starter... well.. hes not, yet. Thought he played an ok game. Had a really bad turnover, missed a few shots, hit a couple of free throws. After tonights game I dont see him starting over G anytime soon.

K Johnson - This kid is going to be good. Tonight put up the old 0-5 shooting, but there is something different about him. Hes not afraid to make a move and shoot the ball. I really think his future is bright.

JD - FREE JD. FREE JD. PUT HIM IN THE GAME. Obviously Mick doesnt like something, but what it is is beyond me... The game flows much better with him on the court. Im not calling for huge minutes but for him to not see the floor in the second half is ridiculous.

Mick - Thought the substitution pattern at times was to frequent. Obviously early in the season, still trying to figure things out.. Eventually this rotation has to be cut down some. Basketball is a game of flow, you cant get flow subbing guys in and out constantly. O, and play JD more.

Overall I left this game not having a clue what to think about this team... Showed some good things, showed some bad things. Had opportunities to blow the game wide open and didnt accomplish that. Their going to have to get better.

O and the fouls this year in college basketball games are going to be brutal. Way way way to many.
Hmmm...

I think we have 3 starters wrapped up through 3 games. SK, JJ, and TR. Those are our stat and minute studs.

Other than that we have lots of question marks. I am not seeing the Caupain revolution just yet. GG played a better game. Sanders outplayed Thomas.

I thought Davis, KJ, and Lawrence looked pretty good.

DN, DM and Strick were basically non existent. I think DM must have some lingering injury issues.

Overall an ugly game...I don't have high expectations after game 1.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
subflea

subflea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think DM must have some lingering injury issues.
Mick said in his post game that they are waiting for Mormon to decide if he wants to red shirt.
subflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Starters

Bench

I think the new foul rules are great, or will be once the players adjust. I hated watching guys get mugged bringing the ball up the floor or smashed going up for a bunny with no call. I think in the long term youll see players that are more skilled at dribblin, passing, and shooting, instead of just being big and strong. I think we can agree that even the big east didnt fall apart the style of play would be drastically different under these rules.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Pretty good assessments from everyone. I think UC played really uptight. A lot of the mistakes we made last night are/should be corrected as the season goes on. That is def going to be expected since almost everyone has more of an important role. Even though KJ went 0-5 I really like what he brings. I think, especially in the first half he settled for the jumpers instead of driving to the hoop. That is probably a confidence thing but I know KJ has the ability of driving to the hoop and getting fouled. I look forward to seeing growth this year. Big game on Tuesday. I hope the fans show up big.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I thought this was just the kind of game this team needed to start the season. They were pushed and exposed in some areas. Defensively there was FAR too much standing and watching as a man dribbled by. Saw Lawrence allow this on at least three trips up the floor. Boxing out was poor and will hurt them later if not corrected.Offensively they hurried too much and made some ill advised passes. UC shot I believe 83% from the ft line in the 2nd half.

Players:

SK - He's a leader/He's a stud. Scores assists and rebounds. Second leading rebounder for the game.

Rubles - If Titus would go up strong he'd average 12-14 ppg. He misses far too many bunny shots and should never shoot beyond 12 feet. He can get to the rim at will against other 4s and he rebounds.

Btw, Florida only beat UNF by 8 and K. State lost to N. Colorado. What you saw is not what you will get. As I said, great wake up call to all involved on how hard they need to play and the competitiveness of major college basketball. It will help Mick tremendously in prep for NC State.

Jackson - The zone hindered him. Loved the play he went under the basket and layed the ball up on the reverse side. He has to be better rebounding but he had 2 assists and 3 blocks, but also 2 turnovers.

Thomas - Worse looking player on the floor last night to me. Played out of control and like Lawrence watched guys drive by him. Sanders will start next game and deserves too.

Sanders - Did it all. Scored, rebounded, played D, made shots and had a couple assists. He earned a start as stated above. He is not the most athletic player but he plays smart.

Guyn - 2-4 from the three and 3 assist and no turnovers. He looked like he wants the starting job and if this is what we get from him the pg spot will be adequately manned.

Caupain - Still thinking too much. My guess is all the frosh were nervous last night. He will be fine but is a back up at this point.

Johnson - His shot was terrible! Saw at least two that were WAY off and over the basket. Chaulk it up to nerves and adrenaline. Home town boy playing in front of the home crowd. He does have a fearlessness to him I like and a toughness. He'll be fine.

Lawrence - He's still getting his basketball legs and mind together after so much time away from competition. You can clearly see the potential and he is only going to get better. He must rebound and his defense has to improve.

JD3 - He has got to play. I don't get it, I don't get it! Let him see the court!! Did he play at all in the second half? If he did I missed it. Play him!!! this team needs JD3 and SK on the floor together some.

Overall the team looked out of sorts a bit which is to be expected with 3 new starters and several newcomers playing significant minutes. They were pushed and responded. For those saying the're worried after 1 game with all the new parts in place, please get a clue. Veteran teams look good early, teams putting new people in place don't. I saw a lot of potential from this squad. I like them. They have a long way to go defensively and offensively too but I like the make up of the team. I'd still like to see at this point:

Guyn/JD3/Caupain
Kilpatrick/JD3/Johnson
Sanders/Thomas/Lawrence
Rubles/Lawrence
Jackson/Nyarsuk

I still believe Stricklands eligibility is huge for this team. They need another big body. I hope it happens soon. I'd like to see Mormon play but if nagging injuries and waiting to know if he could play has set him back then by all means redshirt young man.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 11-09-2013 at 08:18 AM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Good breakdown Jeff. Pretty much nailed it. We have absolutely zero instead scoring threats. I really wonder what we will do when we start facing teams with real size and centers. Its a major concern because once again, our offense is just really easy to defend.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
My thoughts...

Pros:
1. Sean Kilpatrick was efficient on offense (6-13 from the field, 8-9 on FT's) and played a very good overall game. 22 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals.

2. Jermaine Sanders played his best game as a Bearcat. He had 13 points (4/8 from the field, 3-6 on three's), 4 rebounds and 3 assists in a career high 32 minutes played. He will take over the starting SF spot.

3. Ge'Lawn Guyn had a solid game. He scored 6 points (2-7 from the field), had 3 assists and 0 turnovers. Gave the team a solid 23 minutes, solidified his spot as the starting PG.

4. Titus Rubles played as I expected him to. 13 points (7-12 on FT's), 8 rebounds and 3 steals in 32 minutes. I see him as the second leading scorer on this team.

5. Free throw shooting. 23-31 is 74%, which is 8% better than last year. Rubles needs to get the ball over the rim and he will be a 70% shooter.

6. Other than 1 bad turnover by Caupain, the freshman were solid. I think they will all continue to get minutes in the OOC.

7. 13 assists on 22 field goals is pretty solid.

Cons:
1. Justin Jackson was good for the first few minutes, but he made the same mental mistakes that he made the past 3 years. He has to stay on the floor for this team to be good.

2. Shaq Thomas seems disinterested and didn't have good body language. He over dribbled twice on a fast breaks and never could get into a rhythm.

3. The offense didn't resemble the one in the preseason. Part of the issue was Jackson being on the bench. They took 21 three's and by count there were 6 "bad" attempts. Just zone this team and UC is pretty easy to beat.

4. Did a very bad job on Ingrim, to his credit he made some pretty good plays.

5. This isn't really a negative but more of a shocking stat. Since the start of 2013, Cincinnati has scored 70 or more points just 3 times in the last 21 games. Yesterday's game was the first time scoring 70 points in a regulation game since January 15th against DePaul (game Cash got hurt).

Overall, this team is a work in progress. I think they will continue to get better throughout the season, but I wouldn't be surprised if NC State beat UC on Tuesday. By the end of the year, this Cats team will be pretty good. It will take a while for everyone to find (and appreciate) their roles.

Starting 5 should be:
PG Guyn
SG Kilpatrick
SF Sanders
F Rubles
F Jackson
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Overall, this team is a work in progress. I think they will continue to get better throughout the season, but I wouldn't be surprised if NC State beat UC on Tuesday. By the end of the year, this Cats team will be pretty good. It will take a while for everyone to find (and appreciate) their roles.
Don't forget, NC State lost their top 4 scorers and 5 of their 7 rotation players from last season. With their excellent recruiting class, I still expect a tough game, but I would say we are catching them at the right time. I predict a close Bearcats victory.

On last night's game, Shaquille Thomas is really starting to worry me. As others have mentioned, his body language has been poor and his defense is terrible. He looked lost on screens, and at times looked like he was just aimlessly running around. I hope he doesn't have an attitude problem, because he has the tools to be the 2nd-best player on this team.

Justin Jackson will be fine. The zone took away a lot of his advantage, and at least one of those foul calls was questionable. I really hope Strickland becomes eligible though, because we are going to be in bad shape any time JJ is in foul trouble.

I agree with others about JD3. He's not one of our better on-ball defenders, but he looked a hell of a lot better on defense than Shaq or Lawrence and he gave good effort. Cronin HAS to get him on the floor more often.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
My thoughts...

Starting 5 should be:
PG Guyn
SG Kilpatrick
SF Sanders
F Rubles
F Jackson

Good comments overall...just thought I would address your starting 5 which I agree with at this point in time. With this lineup we will have the same type of offense we had at the end of last year. We will get better on offense when the following players get more time, get more comfortable, and/or start doing what they are suppose to.

JDIII
ST
JL
KJ

and hopefully

DM...if he doesn't red shirt

and maybe

TC...not sure he offers much more than GG
JS...not sure he could come in and do what JJ is doing as a frosh

Those are the guys who I think can change our offensive problems and for different reasons. I think our biggest problem is ball movement and having too many players on the court who are just not geared to score. When our guys who ARE geared to score, do those things important to Cronin, we will begin to see more points. I think 2 or 3 of the 7 guys above will make that happen which will help us a lot.

JL looks like he has the inside track. ST if he fixes his attitude. JDIII I can only hope gets more time. KJ has all the tools to do what Cronin wants. DM has the same tools as KJ if he avoids redshirt. TC...too early to make a definitive call. JS if he can avoid redshirt should be a better option than DN.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote