Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Kennesaw State

Anyone heading down to the game today??

Really hoping to see something positive out of Lawerence and Sanders.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
The shot selection took a step back in the last game mostly due to the opponent. I am looking for efficient offense. Shoot 50% from the field, 40% from three and 70% from the line. Would be nice to see Kevin Johnson hit some shots as well, he has been the most pleasant surprise thus far. Also, no turnovers in that high post area from Lawrence or Rubles.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Anyone heading down to the game today??

Really hoping to see something positive out of Lawerence and Sanders.
I assume you mean when he (Lawrence) has the ball in his hands on O. I have seen a few positives out of him so far. He's really been hustling in the press and guarding the OB plays. He's been pretty decent at rebounding as well. I think he will be a good passer for us because he can see over guys.

He's got to make better decisions with the ball. For now I would like to see him shooting open J's and only putting the ball on the floor when he's in space. When he gets fancy he loses the ball...and when he's receiving passes with defenders on him...he needs to strengthen that grip.

With Sanders...what you see is what you get. He's looked about the same to me every year with slight improvements from year to year. He can play his position without screwing up...and he's not going to create offense. I didn't say he won't score...he just won't create much.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Looked a little flat early, not surprising day after a holiday.

Effort has looked good since then. Enjoying watching young guys like KJ, Lawrence, and Thomas using their length and athleticism to grab offensive rebounds and easy shots. Jackson still rushes his shot sometimes, but I can live with most of his shot attempts. No one has more than one foul, so that bodes well considering Kennesaw's size.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
The shot selection took a step back in the last game mostly due to the opponent. I am looking for efficient offense. Shoot 50% from the field, 40% from three and 70% from the line. Would be nice to see Kevin Johnson hit some shots as well, he has been the most pleasant surprise thus far. Also, no turnovers in that high post area from Lawrence or Rubles.
First half:
49% from the field
33% from three (I only saw one bad attempt)
71% from FT
Old 11-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Nomadic1

Nomadic1 is on a distinguished road
A few nice dimes in the first half by Guyn, Rubles and Johnson.
I get the feeling if Justin Jackson calms down and just plays the game without overthinking it, those shots will start dropping and he'll be doing 15 points a game easy. I like the defense, Sanders has been decent, I think everybody has put forth an effort. Guyn is our starting PG for sure. I'm impressed with how he's stepping up. Rubles I'm going to miss, a lot of fun to watch. Johnson has looked better and SK is SK.

All in all, pretty solid effort to the Owls' credit, they can shoot pretty good.
Nomadic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
First half:
49% from the field
33% from three (I only saw one bad attempt)
71% from FT
We have seen a lot of the same stuff we have seen in past games so far. We have been flying around on D. Sometimes we get caught inbetween with the on ball defender and two other defenders coming from either side leaving men open for easy looks. That is going to happen with the type of aggressive D we are playing. We have been getting a lot of deflections and I can't remember a year when we have been getting this many 5 and 10 second calls on OB plays and keeping them from getting past half court.

I like listening to Terry Nelson on the ESPN3 games. He has a different way of adding color to the game. When TC threw it to SK he said "If you are a freshman and you want to look good and like you are being productive...just pass the ball to SK". On GG's 45" vertical leap when asked about his own "Maybe if I jumped twice".
Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
Posted this as a new post but wanted to make sure everyone saw the deal;
Thanks to David aka TYZ...UC is running a bball ticket offer online until 8pm tonight...all games besides Louisville are $5 per seat in the upper deck...enter promo code: blackfriday2...that's a great deal...I am excited as I ordered tickets for UConn and Memphis...

Last edited by nparker1; 11-29-2013 at 04:35 PM.
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

For the game:
36-74 from the field 48%
7-17 from the field 41%
16-20 from FT line 80%

They practically got what I wanted to see. Johnson made some nice moves and only forced 1 jump shot. Also, 0 turnovers from Rubles and 2 from Lawrence. I think Mick got what he wanted out of this game.

The next game will be similar to the NC-Central game, this USC Upstate team is physical with a great scorer and bunch of upper classmen. They beat Virginia Tech, and should have beaten Tennessee. Will be a nice tune up before New Mexico.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
waterhead
Senior Moderator

We are certainly not a flashy offensive team but we are going to get a lot of our points on effort this year. Game thoughts.

GG...I thought he played a good game. He doesn't have a lot of fancy dribble moves but it's always square in his hands. He's done just about what we need him to do outside of making his threes. He had some nice finishes around the paint today.

TC...two things stand out to me right now. His control and compsure on layups. When Cash was a frosh (even soph and Junior) he was always going too fast to finish. TC does not do this. Cash was a better outside shooter but hey. Also, although TC may be a bit slower than other players on D he has a knack for getting his hands on the ball for steals and deflections.

KJ...again showed poor shooting touch from outside (he didn't take but one or two though)...but again showed a nice ability to drive and finish at the rim. His D was solid as usual.

JDIII...didn't get a lot of minutes again but has been dealing with his family's house fire. He did score a nice layup and had GREAT vision for an alley-oop to Lawrence.

SK...is always SK. He will fill the stat sheet.

JS...has been very consistent in what he adds to this team. Nothing fancy and few mistakes.

ST...has been doing a better job of shot selection and not playing too fast on O. Had a decent game.

JL...still has issues when putting the ball on the floor and trying to create shots. When he is open he can make shots and when he is on the block can get the ball out quickly and put the ball in the bucket. His back to the basket game is not good right now.

TR...is going to be TR (filling the stat sheet) but he did nail I think 8-8 from the line. Nice.

JJ...is JJ. He may have a tendency to go for TOO many blocks...but that's his game. He played hard and well. I did notice how good of a job he does on defending in bound passes as well as telling everyone else to be at the same time. He may have had 4 or so deflections just on that play alone.

All in all we are taking care of business. As we know, games will get tougher. We still need to see more zone, great defensive teams, and solid bigs to get a grip on what we have. No complaints so far.